Heading for Maui, any suggestions?

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
Well, we have decided to spend a week in Maui in january. Anyone know good stuff to do there or have any suggestions? I know my better-half wants to swim with sea turtles - it is a lifelong dream for her and I will be making it happen no matter how much it costs - but anyone have other good things to do on Maui (I doubt we will island-hop)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
careful, ab once tried to get me to take the "swimming with great whites" tour,...

:D

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Take the road to Hana (if you dare!! Bwahhha-hah-hahhh!!)

Seriously, it's drop-dead gorgeous, with the emphasis on drop. One false turn (and there are about eleventy-seven of them) and it's a long fall into the briny deep. But when (if) you make it to the other end, the town of Hana is inexpressibly beautiful. And you get a t-shirt saying you survived the drive!

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
Oh yeah, also take to the drive up to the top of Mount Haleakala. It's a massive extinct (I hope!) volcano, again with no guardrails on the road taking you up. Yowza!

If you and your wife are the adventuresome sort, you can even get a permit to hike and camp in the crater. Tres cool.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Jet lag hit us our second full day out there - we didn't do much that day. Laid out on the beach, built massive sandcastles, played in the ocean and ate at some great restaurants. Make sure you schedule some 'down time' in addition to all your other plans.

Have fun! :)

MarkButler

Part Time Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.markbsplace.net
I grew up on Maui. (well, if you could say I grew up...)

You staying in Kihei or Lahaina? I have friends that do boat charters I can try & set you up. Seeing the turtles won't cost that much. I can tell you a hotel beach you can go right off & see them!

PM me :D

Well, I'm guessing Kihei as we are trying to get into the Paradise Vista condos (http://www.mauiparadisevacations.com/MauiVista.htm) which state they are [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica] "Across from famous Kamaole I Beach in south Kihei". I like the idea of condos, though I have to wait till tomorrow to see if we can get a place. AN email said their 2bdr rooms are all booked up, so I will see if I can get 2-1bdr places...if not, I will have to look somewhere else (close by)

[/FONT]

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
I used to live on Oahu and have spent plenty of time on Maui. Here's one tip.

If you take the gorgeous and scenic "Road to Hana", which I highly recommend, keep going all the way around the island. The rental car companies either tell you there isn't a road all the way around, or they forbid you to go that way--so you end up driving for hours and then have to drive back the same way. (They don't want you to break down and have to come all the way out to get you...)

We always just drove around anyway. Lots of quiet, empty beaches, and a few cool historical things to see as well--like the Palapala Ho'omau Church in Kipahulu where Charles Lindburg is buried.

Aloha!

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I went to Maui to stay with my Uncle Billy once about 15 years ago, for a few weeks. We went fishing, which was a lot of fun and gave us a chance to cruise around the shore a bit. He also set it up for me to take a surfing lesson which was great fun. We did a bunch of scenic drives. I met a lot of spiders.

I'd recommend everything but the spiders.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto the road to Hana.

But also drive up Haleakala. Fantastic volcanic scenery. And if you're a bicycle aficionado, you can rent a bike and coast, unstopped, the many miles and nearly 10,000 vertical feet back down the hill.

caw

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
We went to Maui last year and stayed at the Maui Prince hotel, which was gorgeous and went snorkeling right outside the hotel and saw plenty of sea turtles. Rent a CONVERTIBLE! And look at some of the bike trips down the mountain. We didn't do it, but have heard great things. Don't do one of the touristy luaus, though. Just my advice.

ETA: we did about 1/2 of the road to Hana but ran out of time, so we hit some smaller waterfalls and had a great time anyway.

Mom'sWrite

Service with a smile
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.returnengagement.blogspot.com
Take the road to Hana (then, even though it says not to in eight different languages and braille, take the road/goat path all the way around the island. You'll see Paradise. I won't tell anyone if you do.)

Hike, ride bikes, take a tour of the mountains (old volcanoes). Bring a sweater, it gets chilly up there.

I can't remember what the name of it is but there is an artist's colony up there where you can get the coolest things for not much money. M and I still have a wood block print from there that we got for like $5.

I just dropped my husband off at the airport. He's staying with friends on Maui for the next ten days. (What the hell am I doing here with the kids?)

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
;)....Yeah....and swing by and pick me up on your way. :D

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, and you need to become a baseball fan of the Philadelphia Phillies, who are chasing down the evil New York Mets in the National League Eastern Division, because they have outfielder Shane Victorino, the only native of Maui ever to play in the major leagues. He's very good.

caw

auntybug

teh other evil broad
Registered
Reaction score
I am destined for greatness. I'm just pacing mysel
Website
www.junekramin.com
Uhhh . . . pssst . . . Spooky, Don Ho died earlier this year.

caw

Nice catch. Go see Mele Ohana at the Prince after you see the turtles- they are friends :) Great Hawaiian music... or at the Sheraton in Kaanapali (lahaina side) You can catch my Friend Mondokane play, cliff divers, fire & hula dancers - wed & thurs at sunset.

Iao Needle - a fun stop - get a workout climbing 100+ stairs.....

There is an Ocean Center there in Maalaea (between Kihei & Lahaina) now too. Awesome aquarium - big turtle & shark tanks & huge tunnels to walk through. Well worth the money! Pick up "Today in Maui" coupon books - they are everywhere - lots of great ideas.

I would do a luau for the experience - Old Lahaina Luau is supposed to be the best but spendy. I really dont see that they varied much. (bonus - all you can drink Mai Tai's!)

If you like to fish - I have friends that do the best charter ever! They are a hoot & 1/2! Strike Zone fishing. My best friend answers the phone for them.

I'll keep wracking my brain. Its hard to go in tourist mode - I took it all or granted.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I went camping on a black sand beach past Hana. It was...fun. Then the police came.

They let us stay as long as we left before the next patrol at 7AM.

Out that way, hike the 7 Sacred Pools to see a variety of waterfalls. There are places along the way for a dip, or to dive off a bridge into the black water (if it's deep enough).

I don't recall many options as far as places to eat, so think ahead.

Kadea

Registered
Reaction score
Another vote for the Iao Needle. Lots of fun, not that bad of a hike! My 3 year old at the time did just fine!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I went camping on a black sand beach past Hana. It was...fun. Then the police came.

They let us stay as long as we left before the next patrol at 7AM.

Out that way, hike the 7 Sacred Pools to see a variety of waterfalls. There are places along the way for a dip, or to dive off a bridge into the black water (if it's deep enough).

I don't recall many options as far as places to eat, so think ahead.

Maui's in the midst of a massive drought... When we went there in November, the 7 pools were closed due to being severely dried out -- and suffering from bacteria problems as a result of no flowing water.

:(