ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
The issue to me is the extent to which we should mourn this inevitable language loss or simply note it. I can see a good argument for maintaining genetic diversity in biological systems because it is the substrate for adaptive change, for evolution. I'm not sure one can say the same thing about language. I suppose if we ride the language-determines-thought hobby horse a little we could argue language loss correlates with loss of ways of thinking, but I'd want to see real data before I accepted that metaphor as a real thing. If we see language as simply a tool, although a beautiful one, then humans are always devising new tools. And, since it's a communication tool, the more we intermingle the more likely we are to discard old versions of it.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
If you ride that hobby horse too much--as many do--you start believing it's a real horse.

Languages die. Things change. People die. People change. Interest rates fluctuate. Eh, life.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
I'm in no way educated about language/linguistics but I enjoy working with words and wish now that I had studied this subject when I was younger. One thing that I've always been intriqued with is how words don't just evaporate but that they go through a deconstruction and morph into other words that hold traces of the previous.

If a culture was facing extinction, I could understand why language preservation would be critical. If a culture serves no one, then maybe, extinction is the only way to go.