How is a translated work published in the States?

Crème de la Gem

Registered
Reaction score
That's what the title should have been for the thread I posted below. Sorry.

I know of this book by a well-established Japanese author, which is on a bestseller's list in Japan right now. It's not available in the States. In fact, none of her work seems available in English. So I thought, hey, why don't I translate a few chapter and send a query?

But when I talked to a friend about it, he said it won't work like that, because of the issues with rights.

Can someone tell me how this kind of things work???

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
The author will either have a foreign rights literary agent who will submit to US publishers and they in turn will arrange for a translator. Only the author and the author's agent have to right to pursue foreign rights. For example my book is published by Putnam in North American but Random House bought the rights for the UK and other publishers bought rights in Russia, Taiwan, Sweden, the Netherlands...etc. They pay me an advance, are sent the manuscript and then arrange for translation.
You are neither the author's agent nor the author so you have no rights in this matter.
You might email the author and inquire if US rights have already been sold - they may have been sold and in the process of being translated now.

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Patricia's right -- and this is exactly why we have copyright laws these days! In the old days -- like 100+ years ago -- you could legally poach anything that had been published outside of the US. If you came back from London with a book you liked, you (or anyone else) could secure the US copyright simply by publishing the book in the US, without paying the author or anyone else anything. (It was also true going the other way -- anything published in the US was fair game overseas.)

It was a major frustration for American writers at the time. While your book might be published in the US, and moderately priced, you were likely competing with the latest book from Walter Scott or Charles Dickens, for which the publisher hadn't paid a thing --and since he didn't have to pay the author for a copyright, he could sell the book cheap, thereby undercutting your book, and probably outselling you.

I'm sure a copyright lawyer could get into it in much more detail -- but I had to learn a bit about it for my Washington Irving bio. He cleverly figured out how to end run around the lack of copyright laws back in his time, and was constantly frustrated that the U.S. Congress wouldn't pass any legislation to regulate things.

So...sorry about that. But those laws protect you, too, from a similar poaching!

Crème de la Gem

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Patricia and Brian.

So—I guess I can contact the Japanese publisher or the author's agent and see if a US publisher has bought the right—?

Sunnyside

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brianjayjones.com
Hmmm, I dunno. I suppose it might be worth a shot. As Patricia said, it might be worth an inquiry just to see if it's not already being shopped. But I would guess you'd have to be able to absolutely convince them you were the right person to help them get it published in the US. After all, you'd essentially be taking on the job of their "foreign representation"--no small task!

Good luck to you! Let us know what you decide!

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com

So—I guess I can contact the Japanese publisher or the author's agent and see if a US publisher has bought the right—?

Contacting them to see if the foreign rights have been sold and to whom will confirm if there is a translated edition in English. But the distribution in the U.S. could be scaled down. If you are interested in learning more about translating then look at The American Literary Translators Association. http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/
You will find that literary translators market their skills to traditional publishers and are on staff or compete bidding on books. But self published authors can hire and pay a translator a flat fee and sell the foreign language version themselves, retaining the foreign rights. With this option the author then bears the responsibility of marketing and distributing the book to many nations.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

Trouble is, you don't have any rights to this book, no matter what. The author, her agent, and her publisher do. There's really nothing you can do here. You'd be a middleman that no one needs.

Crème de la Gem

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you talkwrite for a very useful link! It opened the door wider for me. According to this site, I can bring a project to a publisher, given that the translation right is available. Here is the page, if anyone is interested.

http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/resources/booklengthtranslation.html

I know of a website in Japanese, where publishers post calls for projects, and translators post their projects. If anyone knows an English site like that please post the link!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you talkwrite for a very useful link! It opened the door wider for me. According to this site, I can bring a project to a publisher, given that the translation right is available. Here is the page, if anyone is interested.

http://www.utdallas.edu/alta/resources/booklengthtranslation.html

I know of a website in Japanese, where publishers post calls for projects, and translators post their projects. If anyone knows an English site like that please post the link!

Technically, you can, but in the real world, this almost never works with books by current writers who have a current publisher. In more than twenty years, the publishers I've worked for have never accepted an outside translator to bring in a current book by a current writer.

Should such happen, we go straight to the author's publisher, deal with them and the writer, and basically say thank you to whoever brought the novel to out attention.

Now, a long out of print novel where the rights have no publisher or current writer attached is another matter completely. Assuming the translator has the right credentials, these would be looked at and taken seriously.

There are exceptions to everything, of course.

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
Two more leads for you

Thank you talkwrite for a very useful link! It opened the door wider for me. According to this site, I can bring a project to a publisher, given that the translation right is available. !

Here is a great book on Literary Translation. It discusses process and how to submit to publishers.
http://books.google.com/books/multi...3eUC&dq=Literary+Translation+Clifford+Landers

Also the American Translators Association is a professional association over 45 years old- with many esteemed translators as members. Great conferences, awards and workshops
http://www.atanet.org/
Let me know your results. Good luck!

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
Technically, you can, but in the real world, this almost never works with books by current writers who have a current publisher. In more than twenty years, the publishers I've worked for have never accepted an outside translator to bring in a current book by a current writer.

Should such happen, we go straight to the author's publisher, deal with them and the writer, and basically say thank you to whoever brought the novel to out attention.

Now, a long out of print novel where the rights have no publisher or current writer attached is another matter completely. Assuming the translator has the right credentials, these would be looked at and taken seriously.

There are exceptions to everything, of course.

Good News! I live the exception you refer to and this world is very real. Literary translators do submit proposals and clips and query publishers just like you do. There are slush piles for translator's submissions. And new translators are hired and contracted by publishers -just like new authors are. Translated works are reviewed and bad reviews lead to openings for new translators. We have contests and awards that go back 40 to 50 years now in this profession. We have very long standing translation journals- just like writers do.www.hum.ku.dk/translationstudies/perspectives/
We have conferences and workshops- just like writers. In fact many popular panel discussions include famous authors and their translators discussing the process and the same elements you hear in authors panels.
I encourage writers to participate and learn about literary translation. It is a sign of success to say that your book has been translated in X number of languages.
And it should be good news to know that translators have to be trained to take such good care of your work of art, so that we can turn it in to a work of art of our own.

imagegod

Registered
Reaction score
I just chanced upon this thread after asking a 'translation' question in the Novel forum...any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Andrew Zack

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.zackcompany.com
Um, with all due respect, there seems to be quite a bit of inaccurate information in this thread.

In the United States, deals can be done for a number of different territories. For example, I can sell World rights, all languages, to a publisher. In that case, the publisher, not the author, controls those rights and will market them to foreign publishers, generally through their subsidiary rights department and a network of foreign literary agents who represent US publishers and agents in their home countries.

I can sell just World English rights, in which case the author controls the translation rights and I, as the agent, will market those rights to foreign publishers through my network of foreign co-agents who are literary agents in their foreign countries.

I can sell just US, Canadian and non-exclusive Open Market rights, in which case I would market UK rights myself directly to UK publishers, and translation rights as above.

The foreign publishers have English-speaking editors who read US-published books and decide to acquire them. The foreign publisher then arranges for translation for their edition.

In the US, there are shockingly few bilingual editors who read foreign books and look for those to translate into the US. Thus, there are a few houses who specialize in this, including Kodansha, which brings a lot of Japanese works here, and some literary imprints of larger houses that do works in translation from Spanish or other languages. Since translating a book from another language is expensive, and since there are so many books already in English available, a book needs to be quite exceptional to warrant a US publisher paying to translate it.

In some cases, a foreign publisher who thinks they have something exceptional will pay one of the translators they use for translating from English to translate a book into English, or just a few chapters. They then shop these books in the US via their rights person or a US literary agent.

That said, the US publishers that regularly do works in translation usually have a foreign-language speaker on staff or a free-lance reader who can read the books in their native languages and do a reader's report.

I think if you wanted to become a translator of, say, Japanese books to English, you should probably contact someone at Kodansha and ask them their requirements. I suspect they have a test of some kind they would want you to complete, assuming they are looking for new translators.

If you found a book in, say, Greek, that you thought was amazing and should be published in the US, you have a couple of choices that I see:

1. Contact the Greek publisher and ask who controls English-language rights. Contact that person (or publisher) and say that you are interested in translating the work into English and volunteer to translate a few chapters for their review. If they like them, they can shop them to US publishers with the translating a part of the deal and, if it sells, you get the gig, hopefully.

2. Contact a US publisher you think may be the right one for the book and send them the book and your sample translation and tell them you know who controls the rights and if they acquire those rights you'd like to be considered for the translation.

Option one is likely the best bet, IMHO.

Z

Fresie

She Who Runs The Waves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
galaktio-nova.blogspot.com
:D
If you found a book in, say, Greek, that you thought was amazing and should be published in the US, you have a couple of choices that I see:

1. Contact the Greek publisher and ask who controls English-language rights. Contact that person (or publisher) and say that you are interested in translating the work into English and volunteer to translate a few chapters for their review. If they like them, they can shop them to US publishers with the translating a part of the deal and, if it sells, you get the gig, hopefully.

2. Contact a US publisher you think may be the right one for the book and send them the book and your sample translation and tell them you know who controls the rights and if they acquire those rights you'd like to be considered for the translation.

Option one is likely the best bet, IMHO.

Z

Wow, thank you so much! Now that's the thread for me! And thanks, Crème de la Gem, for starting it.

I'm in the process of doing the same thing at the moment, in fact, so I wondered if somebody had a word of advice for me, too. A published Russian author of several well-selling beauty how-to picture books approached me as a translator and asked me to try and market them in English. He owns the rights; apparently, there is a market for his kind of books in the USA at the moment so I thought I'd try.

But now I understand I've got a problem on my hands! :D I've translated a partial (he paid me to do it) and am now in the process of submitting queries. But what do I do if/when they request the whole book?? I can translate it quickly, that's not a problem, but I don't think the author can afford to pay me for the whole thing. Especially if I query an agent, not a publisher, would an agent be prepared to hire his/her own translator just to finish reading it? I'll probably end up translating it all myself anyway, but can I charge anyone at a later date? Somehow I don't think an editor or an agent would be prepared to pay me for the pleasure of reading a submission! Painted myself into a corner, haven't I?

What would you do in this situation?

PS That's why I NEVER take on any freelance book translating projects like the ones discussed here, but this writer was an exception... which I might live to regret.:D

Last edited: