Status
Not open for further replies.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Oh, somebody please help me. My story takes place in Mexico and one of the MCs spends a lot of time at the beach "playing" in the waves. He's a man, so playing seems a little silly, but "frolicking" is no better and that's the only alternative I can think of. He's not swimming, he's literally standing there, waiting for a wave, then jumping when the wave hits. Sometimes there's body surfing, but again, that's not what I'm looking for.

I'd rather not explain the dynamics of a wave - suggestions please?

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
He's jumping waves. Taking the waves like hurdles.

"What's Joe doing?"
"Hurdling waves."

I like going to the beach and standing there, waiting for the waves to knock me over. I flex and scream, "Think you can take me NOW?" hahahaha.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I like a man who knows how to play
I really wouldn't have it any other way

:)

I guess you could say something about slamming his toned body against the waves...
:D

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Ha, both very funny. Wave hurdling is an idea. I'll include play at least once, but I don't want him to sound like a ten-year old. Jumping is good.

Slamming his toned body against the waves... mmmmm...

sneakers145

Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes it's just fun to stand there and watch the water go from medium deep (waist) to low (knees) to high (chest) and back as the wave passes....

Sneakers the body surfer...

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
No offense, but wave jumping DOES seem kind of childish. ;)

Yes, I know.

This is actually my memoir, and the man in question is my husband. I have tried to explain this to him but he doesn't seem to care. We spend a lot of time at the beach and while I read, he goes off to play in the waves. :) You should see him when he pulls out his lifejacket...

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Is that a euphamism? Hmm?

You know, that crossed my mind when I wrote that. :) He bought it so he could play in the waves & not drown. I do feel better when he wears it (I'm not going out there to save his arse) but I tell him he looks like a grandpa. Makes it easier to spot him too.

how about enjoying the motion of the waves in an entirely non-effeminate, mature, macho manner

Do I need to cite you for that?

:)

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
When I was a kid, we used to go wading in the waves or paddling. This was back in England and when I told my wife, who is American, she looked at me like I was insane. "Well where's the paddle?" she asked.

As a guy who enjoys doing what your hubby does too (though in a more many life-vest-less manner) I would have no problem if someone said I was playing in the waves.

But then in fairness, my wife often says that unlike most people, I'm usually like a big kid who's in touch with my inner-adult, so consider that too.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I used to play in the waves in exactly the same manner.

In fact, I still do.

In fact, get me into Gulf of Mexico water and frankly, I'm about seven years old again and any hopes of an adult conversation with me is list.

Why not do "playing" in the waves? I think it bothers you only because you're not an adult male who does it... ;)

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I think the idea of your husband playing in the waves tells readers something special and interesting about him and it shouldn't be blanded down into something more universal and "manly."

wordmonkey

ook
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writingmonkey.com
I think the idea of your husband playing in the waves tells readers something special and interesting about him and it shouldn't be blanded down into something more universal and "manly."

I agree.

And with what PeeDee said. If your hubby has no issue with it, why should you? And if you wanna capture, for your reader, what he gets out of the activity, then I think "play" nails it on the head.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I agree.

And with what PeeDee said. If your hubby has no issue with it, why should you? And if you wanna capture, for your reader, what he gets out of the activity, then I think "play" nails it on the head.

Because while the men of the world are playing in the waves, the women of the world are sitting on the beach, pretending they came alone.... :D

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, last month we went to the Gulf with a group of friends, and almost ALL of us played in the waves, just like you describe your husband doing. I think it's fairly common and a lot of people can relate to it. And it does say something nice about your husband.

The only part that would seem silly to me is the life jacket, and even that is endearing.

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
You all are right. I told him last night I posted this question and he looked at me like I'm a freak. "I am playing in the waves." So apparantely I'm the one with the issue. :)

I feel bad because I'm already displaying so much about his life, I don't want to make him look like a child, too. The life jacket hasn't entered the picture yet, so maybe I'l leave that out as a compromise.

And I only pretend I don't know him when he wears it like a diaper so he can float and still use his arms - I showed him this trick but he's not supposed to leave the water like that!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
...can I invite your husband out for beers? My god. What a cool guy.

*desperately wants to gallivant a beach wearing a life jacket as a diaper*

*...ON MY HEAD*

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
Oh, somebody please help me. My story takes place in Mexico and one of the MCs spends a lot of time at the beach "playing" in the waves. He's a man, so playing seems a little silly, but "frolicking" is no better and that's the only alternative I can think of. He's not swimming, he's literally standing there, waiting for a wave, then jumping when the wave hits. Sometimes there's body surfing, but again, that's not what I'm looking for.

I'd rather not explain the dynamics of a wave - suggestions please?

It's jumping the waves...I was just in Mexico doing that exact same thing...it's really fun during an off shore storm.

And there are lots of "old people" doing it.

Body surfing is when you ride the wave back to the shore with no board.

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
It's jumping the waves...I was just in Mexico doing that exact same thing...it's really fun during an off shore storm.

And there are lots of "old people" doing it.

Body surfing is when you ride the wave back to the shore with no board.

Where were you? We went to the beach when Henriette was nearby - BIG waves!

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't see anything wrong with just saying he was playing in the waves. But if that doesn't work for you, how about framing it as getting in touch with his inner child or a nostalgic reprise of a cherished childhood game? Something like that would acknowledge it as a childish activity, without calling him childish.

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Thanks again for the suggestions! I'll probably stick with wave jumping or hopping, in addition to playing. I don't want to get too into it because it's not an important part of the story, just a way to get him out of my face. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.