Every by-God one of them...gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

skelly

Kickin it old school, posers beware
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I finally did it. With the exceptions of wordpad and notepad, I deleted every single stinking word processor on my computer. I deleted RoughDraft and DarkRoom. I deleted Word 2000 and PageFour. So long Jarte. See ya 'round Abiword and MS Works and OpenOffice. Hasta la vista EasyWrite.

Command Prompt
cd\
edit

s'All I need. Thank you. Good night.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Skelly, let us know how that goes, would you? I've seriously considered getting rid of a bunch of extra wp stuff, too -- I just can't quite take the plunge. . .

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I will Mac. It was driving me to distraction...and whenever I get stuck, I change WP's. I save in My Docs and then email the .txt file to myself for back up.

I just finally snapped on it.

:)

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about that, Scott.

You've got the beginnings of a good story, though. Guy deletes all his word processing software, and then, that night (that NIGHT!) they enact their revenge. First, it's just his computer on the fritz. He takes it to the Russians on the corner, no biggie. But then it gets weird. He dreams of flashing cursors. He can spell nothing correctly on the office memos (in a world without spell check...). The boss uses track changes to scold him about his depleting performance. A humongous paperclip keeps peaking out behind the hedge. He figures the only way to regain sanity is to go to the Russians and buy some new software. This new thing is called Werks 3.0. At first it works swimmingly, but things change. It becomes clear that the program (warm up devil chuckle) seems to HAVE A MIND OF ITS OWN! Stories are written, bizarre stories, that the writer never remembers writing and all that. Etc. etc.

You can have it if you want. :Shrug:

But a caveat: didn't Stephen King do something like this once with a typewriter?

skelly

Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
A humongous paperclip keeps peaking out behind the hedge.

Aaaaiigh!!!!

It just finally dawned on me that the only complete novel that I have written to date was in notepad. The novel sucked, but I finished it. Notepad hurts my eyes, so I moved the business over to dos edit. I can still back up...which is key, and I have my Word disks that I can reload whenever I'm ready to make something "official."

Craps just getting way too complicated over here. Got to get back to basics.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
There's something really simple and pure about just plain text, isn't there? I bought a used AlphaSmart 3000 recently and have been sort of reveling in just . . . typing. No formatting, no worrying about program blips or auto anything. Just words. :LilLove:

But I do keep my faithful WordPerfect on the computer, so I can upload the lovely plain text and thereafter get it ready to actually send to someone (like our editor.) ;)

Good luck with it. Hope it works out for you.

chartreuse

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
There's something really simple and pure about just plain text, isn't there? I bought a used AlphaSmart 3000 recently and have been sort of reveling in just . . . typing. No formatting, no worrying about program blips or auto anything. Just words. :LilLove:

I LOVE my AlphaSmart. I don't have a laptop so it used to be that if I was on vacation I would be relegated to pen and paper. Not a good choice for me because it's really hard for me to keep up with my thoughts writing by hand.

And I use it around the house too, if I want to write out back or just in another part of the house rather than my office.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
It drives my family up the wall. I spend money on a brand new copy of MS Word every few years. I have a brand new copy of Word 2007 right now. And the first thing I do when I install it is...turn every ****ing feature OFF.

Don't tell me when I spell something wrong, I'll figure it out. Don't correct my grammar. I do not want to know my Shrapnel-Fletcher Reading Level or my Passive Sentence Percentage. I want you, computer, to be a typewriter with a TV screen attached.

Skelly, you're my hero. The luddites support you in PMs! Or they would. If they were online. :D

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
WPs

I admire your courage. One of the reasons I do first drafts in longhand is to keep distractions to a minimum.

But I'd never dump my word processors. Once the first draft is done, a good word processor saves me hundreds of hours per year. And on those occasions when deadlines force me to write first drafts on a computer, plain text just doesn't cut it.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
I've got my Word minimized pretty well. All I need is center and tab, essentially. Grammar check off. Spell check off. No red or green lines as I type. No changing things as I go. (HATE that.) No capitalizing the first letter of lines as I type. All of that, ALL of that -- off.

Really, I don't see how anyone works with any of that stuff on.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It drives my family up the wall. I spend money on a brand new copy of MS Word every few years. I have a brand new copy of Word 2007 right now. And the first thing I do when I install it is...turn every ****ing feature OFF.

Don't tell me when I spell something wrong, I'll figure it out. Don't correct my grammar. I do not want to know my Shrapnel-Fletcher Reading Level or my Passive Sentence Percentage. I want you, computer, to be a typewriter with a TV screen attached.

Skelly, you're my hero. The luddites support you in PMs! Or they would. If they were online. :D

I've got my Word minimized pretty well. All I need is center and tab, essentially. Grammar check off. Spell check off. No red or green lines as I type. No changing things as I go. (HATE that.) No capitalizing the first letter of lines as I type. All of that, ALL of that -- off.

Really, I don't see how anyone works with any of that stuff on.
But...but...it's...WORD. From Microsoft! Who only has your best interests at heart and knows what's best for you!

Oh, yeah. I turn off every single automated formatting feature I possibly can, too. I'll tell it when I'm ready for a spell check, then kew.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Microsoft is Mother, Microsoft is Father. Trust Microsoft.

If I wasn't used to MS Word (and if it had an italics feature) then I think maybe I'd write in something like DarkRoom full time at this point.

(actually, I think Skelly has moved me to spend the day composing with something less fancy)

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea I was so bland. I just use MS Word and don't even think about it. I just type the story, not worrying about formats (except that I set my font and spacing at the very beginning). The spell-check and grammar-check don't bother me. I make those decisions as I go.

So what's the purpose of all these other wp programs? I've never even heard of most of them and don't understand why there's even a market for them. Seriously, educate me here.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
If I knew, I would be a wiser man. I use MS WOrd because...I used MS Word early on when I switched to computers (from a nice typewriter) and got used to it.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
jodiodi said:
So what's the purpose of all these other wp programs?

Not everybody has a PC or Mac platform computer, or they might have an older machine without sufficient memory/RAM to load a massive program like Word or WordPerfect. Some of the "text-only" programs don't take up much space on the drive and function just as well for straight typing. I can't think of the last time I've used the Tools tab in either program. It might as well not be there. :Shrug:

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
I used a Brother Word Processor when I first started typing.

Oh, how I miss you Brother! How one page took forty-seven minutes to print! How all your fonts were piss-yellow! How you could do nothing but type and save! How you accepted, when everyone else had gone to hard disks, the old-fashioned "floppy," the only thing on earth that feels exactly as it sounds! How you would print only three pages before your ribbon needed to be spayed and neutered!

Oh, good times. 1993, come back.

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Look at the bright side: You could have used your Brother Word Processor to stun burgelers. Or kill them.

(burglers)

(burgalers)

(Gawd....)

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Look at the bright side: You could have used your Brother Word Processor to stun burgelers. Or kill them.

(burglers)

(burgalers)

(Gawd....)

A good dose of spell check will fix you right up.

Mother Microsoft :heart:s you.

Will Lavender

Registered
Reaction score
King's "Word Processor of the Gods"! That's what I was thinking of. Anybody read it?

Status
Not open for further replies.