Enteral Feeding through J-tube and pump info

Status
Not open for further replies.

sneakers145

Registered
Reaction score
Any one with first hand knowledge of enteral feeding through a j-tube with a pump? How are they set up? Where does the 'bag' (or what is it in) hook up to (inside) the pump. How long does the battery last? How large are the nutrition bags? Thanks! Google only yields so much info. Thanks!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
There multiple varieties and sizes. Some use a pump, some a syringe, some a gravity bag similar to an IV, but basically it's like connecting a hose to the J-tube, often with a screw connector, but not necessarily. You flush the tube with water before and after the "feeding" to check for patency and then to clean it. Tap water that has been boiled and allowed to cool is fine, it does not need to be sterile saline. Since it is a J tube (jejunum) and not a G tube (gastric) there are differences in terms of what feedings can be used. A local home healthcare nurse agency could likely show you some of the newer varieties.

sneakers145

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, George. I'm more familiar with either syringe or bag, but I've seen the backpack pumps (from the outside) for those that need gradual feeds. I just haven't seen the actual bag (of liquid nutrition) and how it attaches to the pump in a backpack. I'm more familiar with pumps on poles and TPN, not enteral.

I've researched what meds the character needs to be on and what diet, I just don't know what the packaging is like. If nobody here is a nurse or home health nurse I may have to call around. I vaguely know someone with issues but not intimately enough to start inquiring all of her details, IYKWIM.

5KidsMom

Registered
Reaction score
If you've seen syringe pumps or IV pumps, you've essentially seen what you need to see. The backpack pumps simply have a really short piece of tubing between the bag and the pump itself, so that the bag is sitting right on top of the pump and you don't have all that extra tubing to get in the way and make things bulkier. The tubing routes through the pump itself in the usual way and gets plugged into the j-tube. The feeding bag looks pretty much like an IV bag except that there's a plastic top that opens to pour formula into. Battery life varies but it's usually good for several hours.

If you haven't googled "kangaroo pump" try that.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
I have some patients who have a pump that can run off the plug-in adaptor in a car when the battery gets low. Most of the ones I see are roller pumps, not syringe. Kangaroo is the most common one I see.

Last edited:

sneakers145

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I did find a nice kangaroo pump video. My only question now is how it all fits into a back pack. ;) I did see (on the video) a kid with the bag lying on the table next to the pump, but I assume a bag must be sort of upright somehow? I also saw a stand for at home, thought several pumps are free-standing.

Very helpful though!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I did find a nice kangaroo pump video. My only question now is how it all fits into a back pack. ;) I did see (on the video) a kid with the bag lying on the table next to the pump, but I assume a bag must be sort of upright somehow? I also saw a stand for at home, thought several pumps are free-standing.

Very helpful though!

No, actually only gravity systems need to be upright. Mechanical pumps are powered by batteries/electricity

Status
Not open for further replies.