Finding an agent for a picture book

Status
Not open for further replies.

restin wells

I've spent hours making notes and lists, from several writer's forums, on publishers and agents to avoid. The numerous enraging experiences are paralyzing me to death, as I just dedicated several years to writing and illustrating a picture book. I've studied carefully how to make my cover letter, query, and outline, and believe I have a set that's up to specks. I'm not in a hurry, but I would feel so bad to get tangled up with a crummy company after all the work I've done. The well-known publishing houses only deal with agents. So, who's a good agent? I wish there could be some way for an unknown like myself to find a publisher or agent that cares a hoot and isn't into scamming people. I have the Writer's Market Book, but it's no better than eeny,meeny,miney,mo, as to who I can trust to be professional. Is there any way to find out who the good people are?

James D Macdonald

Re: paranoid

The rule of thumb is that a useful agent is one who's sold books that you've heard of.

Here's one way to make a first-pass cut.

Go to a bookstore. Find books on the shelves that are similar to yours.

Write to the authors of those books, care of their publishers, asking who their agents are. (Don't ask them to introduce you to their agents, just ask for the name.) Include an SASE.

Write to those agents.

Next, remember the golden rule: Money flows toward the author. If an agent (or publisher) asks you to write a check for any reason, cross them off your list.

restin wells

Thanks for responding so soon...don't know what part of the world you're from, but it's about midnight here in central Florida. That's a good idea you offered...to find the publishers of books like my own. At least is a start from where I can check on them further.

JustinoIV

Writers Guild

You can also check out the agents.

They list a number of agents. The best place to look for the Writers Guild agents for novelist would be in the New York list. The literary agents in California mostly deal with screenwriters.

You can all the agents and find out if their accepting queries, what their guidelines are, etc. Since agents listed with the WGA deal with novelists, screenwriters, playwrites, and tv writers, you'll need to ask them what kinds of scripts that they're looking for.

This would be in addition to what James said, his approach is a good idea.

Tish Davidson

Re: Writers Guild

I disagree with the information about writers guild and literary agents in CA mainly dealing with screenwriters. I think you want to look at agents who are members of the Association of Author's Representatives. Their website is
www.aar-online.org/index.html

Look for an agent that specializes in the kind of book you have written - in your case a picture book. Many agents do not represent picutre books, so don't waste your time with them. You might want to go to the library and look at the acknowledgments in the front of picture books that you admire. Sometimes the author thanks his/her agent. I would also recommend that you look at the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators at www.scbwi.org/ Both these organizations have good reputations.

JustinoIV

Writers Guild

The Writers Guild of America is a screenwriter's/tv's writer union. Go to www.wga.org and call those agencies that are listed in Los Angeles. The overwhelming majority of them soley deal with screenwriters.

Now, if you look at their NY listings, (www.wga.org), they do have more agents listed that deal with novelists and playwrites, as opposed to screenwriters.

I called all these agents myself recently. I dialed the numbers listed on the www.wga.org (writers guild) website.

The Writers Guild, it should be noted, is a different organization than the Author's Guild.

I think people here can sometimes be too quick to disagree with others. I know the WGA is certainly not the best resource for a novelist because it is geared toward's screenwriters. Which is why I offered my advice in suppliment to James. It's nice to try different things and different resources.

Maryn

Add "Writer's Market" as Agent Source

You should also check a recent edition of the annual "Writer's Market" -- if I'm not mistaken, they publish an edition specifically for children's and young adult authors. These books are widely available at chain and local bookstores and can probably be ordered online as well.

Each agent or agency listed specifies what they seek and most give recent titles sold. Most provide other information, from tips for new authors to what not to send.

The book also includes publishers' listings. Some do still accept unagented manuscripts. (Most of the big publishing houses seem to use agents to screen material for quality.)

I second the suggestion you've received, to find books like yours and learn who the selling agent was.

And I repeat what you've been told, that reputable agents make their money from selling the author's work, not from the author himself or herself.

Maryn, wishing you luck

mammamaia

Re: Writers Guild

a bit of correction, if you don't mind, justino...

www.wgae.org [writers guild of america, east] does handle more writers of other material than scripts, but they are the same organization/union as www.wga.org [wgaw/writers guild of america, west]... in fact, on the wgae site, you'll see these links on the left side menu:

Member Login

Screen Writers

TV/Radio News

Member Work

Member News

New Writers

Do you live west of the Mississippi?
Writers Guild of America, west

[note this last one, above... it has a link to the wgaw site and makes the case that the writer's location may be more important to membership than his/her medium... for non-members, however, i'd suggest using your medium as the determining factor, rather than location]

for playwrights anywhere, wgae is best, since the staff there is knowledgeable in all aspects of the stage, nyc being its mecca... in the right side menu, you'll see the 'find an agent' link...

for tv and film writers, the same is true of wgaw, as the west coast is where the major movers and shakers of those industries, as well as most production facilities are located...

for instance, in my old 'commercial' life, while living on the east coast, i registered books, song lyrics, and stage plays with wgae, but screenplay and tv series proposals went to wgaw...

hope this straightens out any wgae/wgaw confusion...
love and hugs, maia

Tish Davidson

Picture book

Justino, the poster is trying to find an agent for a PICTURE BOOK. I don't think WGA is the most helpful place to send him/her.

JustinoIV

if you'll

"I know the WGA is certainly not the best resource for a novelist because it is geared toward's screenwriters."

Tish, if you'll read reread my post, I already said the WGA was not the best place for him.

In your basic local bookstore, like Barnes and Nobles, there are books that lists agents. I think in the photography section, there are books on agents that deal with photos. Browse around in your local bookstore, find a book that seems good, and contact those agents.

SRHowen

OK--

I agree with what James said and will add--you want an agent who is a member of the AAR. They have a cannon of ethics basically saying they will not charge authors and other goodies.

First if that agent has a web site, go to it--and look up their author's list. Do you know the authors? Any of them? Know any of their books? Are there any that are close to what you write? If they list author web sites go to them, many have a contact the author e-mail addy. E-mail the author and ask them about their agent. Not to intro you, just to know they are legit.

Google the agent in question, you can get a ton of info this way.

Most of all do not fall for the agents as gods ideal. ASK, ASK, and ASK--questions. If they refuse to share sales, or client lists or try to convince you that you need a paid edit or suggest someone to do a paid edit--run.

Shawn

Elyse

Re: OK--

The first place I checked (using the advice of a close publisher friend of mine) was the Literary Marketplace. It costs 20 bucks a week, but it's money well spent. You can also find copies of it in larger libraries. Then I cross-referenced them on sites like Preditors and Editors and Fiction Addiction. And I read all the postings. It's very scary because you never know.
Elyse

vrauls

When I wanted to get published (nonfiction, so the details won't apply to you) I thought of the most prolific and well-regarded writer in my particular tiny genre. Turns out she has a website with her email address listed. A very polite email garnered a wonderful response and a whole lot of help.

She advised me on agents and directed me to publishers with names and email addresses to query. Officially, my publisher doesn't even accept unagented queries, but they were happy to read my proposal and three. I never claimed that she loved my work or recommended me (or anything else dubious), but simply being able to say "<author name> suggested I write you at this address" seemed to help smooth the way.

Many writers believe in paying forward. So if the world of publishers and agents seems too corporate or frightening, try asking the authors themselves. It really might be as easy as a google and an email.

Good luck and don't let the crap get you down,

Venecia

DeePower

it's not free but it is useful

www.publishersmarketplace.com has a deals database which lists the book title, agent, publishing house, editor, type of book, brief description. You can search by children's books.

It costs $15.00 a month, you can join for just one month if you like.

After you have found agents who have recently sold children's books, (publishers who have recently bought) you can go to the contacts database and find out the mailing address, website and email for the agents.

Then do a little research to make sure they're legitimate.

Best of luck.

Dee
www.BrianHillAndDeePower.com

Status
Not open for further replies.