Status
Not open for further replies.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What is your reply if you mention your book, the plot, etc. and someone says, "Oh, it sounds just like XYZ; So-and-so has already written it and it was a bestseller..."? Worse, what if that's an agent saying that?

How would you convince them that your book is a) different, b) better or c) there is room for more books on the same topic with different treatments?

Will Lavender

Everything is what it seems.
Registered
Reaction score
I get this all the time, mostly from people who haven't read the book.

Just Friday, the agent Daniel Lazar sent my editor an e-mail saying that my book sounded a lot like a plot element on the Showtime comedy Weeds. (I don't have Showtime.)

A relative of mine, when I explained it to her, said, "Oooh, that sounds just like a Bon Jovi movie called Lone Wolf." (Never seen it.)

A person online said, "That sounds like an episode of Veronica Mars." (I'd never heard of it at that time.)

And so on.

What do I say? I don't say anything except, "Wow." There is NO WAY that these things are like what I wrote; perhaps they have elements that are similar, but I believe in the originality of my idea. If a person began to read, then he would lose the original frame of reference within the first five pages.

I guess that's a "Believe in the work, no matter what" kind of response.

Last edited:

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Bon Jovi movie??? I've apparently been in a cave for the past few years.

I've only gotten that once so far, sadly from an agent. "I really enjoyed reading your partial, and I have no doubt your book will find a home. [MC] is a very engaging character. However I have come across several similar plots lately, and I don't feel that this is fresh and original..." :cry::cry:

I suppose if I had the option of rebuttal, I'd say that a) lots of the books I see on the shelves could be classified as variations on a theme, and I don't enjoy them any less for it as long as the variation is well done (which of course mine is :D), and b) keep reading, mine's different, mine's different!

I guess I don't really get that chance with an agent, though.

*sigh*

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a good idea to familiarize yourself with that material, if you haven't already, and then you can have a better idea of the similarities and differences.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just say shut up.

Manat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.judithjamesauthor.com
What is your reply if you mention your book, the plot, etc. and someone says, "Oh, it sounds just like XYZ; So-and-so has already written it and it was a bestseller..."? Worse, what if that's an agent saying that?

How about "Yeah I know! Isn't that great! Looks like the timing is perfect. I'm thinking we're just catching the crest of what's going to be a long and lovely wave. Of course so and so didn't do this...

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I prefer writed. Ray...that wig is wack.

Sassee

Momma Wolf
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sasseebioche.blogspot.com

How would you convince them that your book is a) different, b) better or c) there is room for more books on the same topic with different treatments?

No experience with agents. Can't tell ya what I'd say because I've never been in the situation, though I would probably point out the current success of urban fantasy and mention that werewolves aren't going out of style yet in either fantasy or romance genres (not that I can tell, anyway).

If a non agent person ever says that I'd just say "it's not the same, trust me." Haven't had anyone ask me that yet, though.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I'd go with the 'sound like it's a good sell right now' idea. I only started working on my wip two months ago & the first writer-friend I told said "Oh, Nathan Bradsford just got a book published that sounds JUST like your story!" Last time I checked it's the first book posted on his blog. From the description I can tell there are differences, so I'll have to pitch mine that people are interested in this type of story. I do plan to read it just to make sure.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
No one ever says that to me, a'cuz my ideas are all unique and special. Of course. Silly.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Let me ask this: If someone (especially an agent) tells you "it sounds just like this," would you go out and check out that book, and then tailor your query accordingly? And if so, how?

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
Let me ask this: If someone (especially an agent) tells you "it sounds just like this," would you go out and check out that book, and then tailor your query accordingly? And if so, how?

I feel silly answering you since you are published and I am not, but I've read advice stating that you can address that your stories are similar but show how yours stands out, differs, etc. I've looked into this because of the book I referenced in my last post.

If the other book is successful, use that towards explaining why yours will also succeed (but not riding it's coattails), and if not, showing how yours improves upon the idea. This seems particulary true if the person you're querying is familiar with said work.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
What I mean is, do we have to read these other books in order to understand how our stories are different, and then make sure we sell those points? Or do we just say, "Who cares? Every book is different anyway -- I don't have the time to research every book that sounds similar to mine"?

melaniehoo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I would only look into the other book if an agent tells you it sounds just like another. You can choose whether or not to address it, but it's probably better to be prepared to defend your case rather than dismissing it altogether. That being said, I wouldn't read EVERY book that might have a similar description.

WordGypsy

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.leahclifford.com
Answer: "Wow really?! I hadn't heard that before. None of my beta readers brought it up. Let me know what you think at the end of it..." *hands over manuscript :)

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had this happen, yet, but I think that it would be wise to read the other book so that you could alter your pitch.

On the other hand, I've had something sort of similar happen, and I chose the path of least resistance. I wrote a short story about a young girl and her demon, and named it "Personal Demons". I figured such a snappy name would be already taken, and go figure, it was. But I didn't change it. I liked it too much. Besides, I submitted it with "Personal Demons" as the working title, and it was accepted without change.

So on one hand, I would think it best to do some research and alter the pitch.
On the other, it's easier not to.

:D

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I want a fro.

Status
Not open for further replies.