GI Bill Benefits back in the 50's

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]I'm working on a character who served in the Army World War II. He goes to school on the GI bill, but he's never had any formal education past the seventh grade so he could not have taken college classes. It would have to be something like agriculture or bricklaying or mechanics.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]I know the government offered some kind of stipend or check monthly back then (in the 50's) for schooling and expenses, but have no idea how much it would have been. I've found all kinds of information on men going to regular college classes, but none for vocational, agricultural, or anything like that. Does anyone know anything about this or how or where I could find information?[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica]__________________[/FONT]

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
Google "Serviceman's Readjustment Act of 1944". The bill provided WWII Vets with a vocational or college education, plus one year of unemployment benefits. (Many colleges provided vets with scholarships or part-time jobs for living expenses, after the unemployment ran out.) The same bill also provided VA loans for houses, and loans for vets to start their own businesses.

But, are you sure your guy wouldn't have a high school education? The military tried to get people to at least get a GED while they were enrolled. (I believe there is a military equivilant, although the name escapes me.)

If your character is smart, some colleges also waived the admission tests for returning vets, so he might get in despite not having finished high school.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
1957-59 I received $110/month while in grad school.

www.donaldmichaelplatt.com

Thanks so much, donroc. Do you know if people studying for vocational fields would have gotten about the same amount? Or how long people had to sign up for these benefits after they left the army. My character is based on a person who was in the Army Airforce.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
All I remember is that the 110/mo was good for 36 months. If the deal was good for life or limited, I cannot say.

Thank you so much. Do you remember how you signed up for the benefits? Was it a trip to the VA office or what?

Do you have any ideas where I could find information on any of this?

donroc

Historicals and Horror rule
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I believe I signed at the administration office with the proper ID --length of service, honorable discharge papers. Most amusing, although the Korean War had ended in 1953 and I served 1954-56, I was desiignated a Korean War vet. Upon arrival in Germany, we received the German Occupation Medal, and on the reverse side (ribbon reversed too) was the Korean medal.

JoniBGoode

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Do you remember how you signed up for the benefits? Was it a trip to the VA office or what?

Do you have any ideas where I could find information on any of this?

There are a number of forums online for veterans of WWII. If you posted a question on one of them, they would probably be more than happy to give you the benefit of their direct experience. Many WWII-era units also hold annual reunions, if you wanted to talk to some people in person.

Hugh Mann

Registered
Reaction score
GI Bill benefits back in the 50s.

I attended MIT graduate school from 1946 to 1947 on the GI Bill. It paid tuition and $62.50 a month. Subsequently, in 1950, I enrolled in a flight training course on the GI Bill. I already had a private pilot's license and the course was aimed toward a commercial license. However, my entitlement ran out before I got to 200 flight hours.

Keyboard Hound

Old kid. Tough skin!!
Registered
Reaction score
I attended MIT graduate school from 1946 to 1947 on the GI Bill. It paid tuition and $62.50 a month. Subsequently, in 1950, I enrolled in a flight training course on the GI Bill. I already had a private pilot's license and the course was aimed toward a commercial license. However, my entitlement ran out before I got to 200 flight hours.

Thanks. PM sent.