Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
OK - no, not really. Just the broiler.

Yep - just when I thought things were calming down... I'm getting dinner ready. A flank steak to broil, fresh peppers, broccoli, and mushrooms to stir-fry, some couscous to go on the side.

I shut the broiler off and then one of our three gazillion smoke detectors goes off. It's one that always goes off, so I open the basement door and wave a towel at it, yelling at it to shut up because "there's no fire!"

Ha ha - joke's on me.

I turn around and there's smoke pouring out of the vents on the oven. I yank open the door and FIRE! Ahhh!!! My flank steak! My freakin' flamin' flank steak!

But back when I worked outside the home, my company had yearly fire drills in October. We'd actually have to put out a fire with one of those gi-normous extinguishers. No problem. We have a little one in the kitchen, so I grab it and pfffft!

do you know how much powder comes out of one of them things???

Well, dinner was ruined. The kitchen was covered in green dust, the hamster (yes, we now have a pet hamster who lives in our kitchen until my daughter has her own bedroom. It's the only place where the little bugger is safe from my son) is blinking up at me like "WTF?"

It took me two hours to get the powder off of everything. Kids had chicken nuggets. I had a roast beef sandwich. And I have to laugh about it because it was kind of funny. My husband said, "Well, you kept calm, but you could've just taken the flaming broiler tray out and thrown it in the sink."

Probably, but with the way things have been 'round here, I'd mostly likely have torched the whole house.

It all worked out though - oven's fine. Green powder's gone. And to Matt Reilly, who ran those stupid fire extinguisher drills and made sure I knew how to use one, thank you. :D

So, chuckle along with me, won't you? It's funny now that it's over and I wanted to share a few smiles... :D

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
okay, now pad this out and send it off. :D

(sorry 'bout the dinner. it sounded tasty before the green dust got on it)

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
LOL! Sorry to hear about that.

One time my mom was thawing catfish in the microwave and a bread tie snuck in there. Instant paper fire all over. Extinguishers do make a lot of mess.

Or the time in the restaurant where the shift manager turned the fryer on before pouring the oil in there. Then she freaked and if one of the servers hadn't had the sense to grab the extinguisher and put it out...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Should I make you feel better by telling you about the flaming (projectile) peas?

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
That's why I use a microwave to do all my cooking.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I set a pot of grease on fire once. I was cooking tortillas for tacos.

I just put a lid on it and ended the problem, but it made one heck of a mess.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
See...you shoulda had take-out.

How's the Mr.? Good? Parched? Green?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Bless your heart and your poor flank steak!

Oddly enough, I never had a single kitchen fire until my boys became old enough to cook, smart enough to understand that you don't have to go to McDonald's for french fries, and DUMB enough to not listen to me when I told them never to make french fries when they were home alone. I had a black spot on the ceiling above the stove for ages. Legend says that the flames actually did go that high.

RLB

bundled
Registered
Reaction score
Well-told! Sorry about your dinner though; I was getting hungry just reading about it. We have the most sensitive fire alarm on planet earth. It usually goes off at least twice a week while I'm cooking (and no, I'm not constantly burning things!). Should there ever be an actual fire, I can see it ending in disaster, the little fire alarm who cried wolf going off completely ignored.

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Oh Jersey!! there is nothing worse than preparing for a wonderful meal (which quite frankly sounded deeee lish. ...and have it go up in smoke... Just be thankful everyone is still alive and that it wasn't Lobster burnt up in the broiler (My mom got this crazy idea one Christmas eons ago to broil the lobster shells with the yummy white flesh of the crustaceion (spelled wrong, too lazy to look up) anyway, Nothing ever quite got the burnt shell smell out of the house, EVER.) Just thought I'd share.....lol

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've set my stove on fire before. Well, one of the burners. I think I had to throw salt on it to get it out. It's an electric stove.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's why I use a microwave to do all my cooking.

Pffft. Buncha amateurs. Microwaves are dead easy to set on fire. Trust me. I burned two up. Set my stove top on fire. Set the oven on fire (that looked like the bowels of hell when I opened the door.)

I'm really a good cook though. I promise.

Dinner anyone?

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Pffft. Buncha amateurs. Microwaves are dead easy to set on fire. Trust me. I burned two up. Set my stove top on fire. Set the oven on fire (that looked like the bowels of hell when I opened the door.)

I'm really a good cook though. I promise.

Dinner anyone?

I'm with Soccer Mom on this one! Anyone open a flaming microwave door to a charred ball of popcorn?
:thankyou:

*raising hand enthusiastically!*

Sorry to hear about your dinner. I always find that a good PB&J with a tall glass of chocolate milk makes for a great back-up meal. Mmm.. I think I'm gonna make one right now! (just as soon as I go and buy a fire extinguisher)
:e2smack:

Roanoke

Registered
Reaction score
:D That reminds me of something that happened a few years ago, a friend of mine was working at a restaurant, I don't remember which, another person dropped a can of spray cooking oil in a deep fryer, and started to reach in to grab it...
My friend dragged that person out of the room before it blew up, yay my friend.
Moral of the story, running away is a good thing, even better when you get someone else out too, and also, that is why we are supposed to keep a fire extinguisher and hope we never have to use it.
If the alarm goes off that much, mine does too, you might get used to it, imagine if you hadn't been nearby, shiver.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
You've been taking Tsuki's cooking classes haven't you?

kellytijer

What the hell is going on?!
Registered
Reaction score
when i was a teenager i worked at "denny's." back then, chopped, hard boiled eggs were a part of every salad. one night, a customer asked me for a whole boiled egg with his meal. a cook there told me that boiling a fresh egg would take too long, and that i should microwave a refrigerated boiled egg reserved for salad bar use. i did it. little did i know upon delivering the piping hot egg to the customer, that the poor guy was about to fork into a time bomb. i walked back to get a refill for his coffee, and heard, "BOOM." i ran around to the table, and saw them customer covered in exploded egg. i was able to keep my job after i told my manager it had been the cook's idea.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Who do y'all think taught Tsuki to cook?

She's Mama's little girl.