WaPost story about Jesse James

stc

Registered
Reaction score
With the film of Ron Hansen's novel set for release later this month--"The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford"--here's a good story in WaPost about Jesse James.

Includes comments by author, Ron Hansen:
The fiction Hansen created around the facts provided for him the cowboy music and nuance and rhythm of the times. "The way I try to write scenes is to be as authentic to history as is known," he says. "I say, 'This is Jesse as I imagined him, though.' I'm trying to convey the psychology and spirit of the situation." Bob Boze Bell, executive editor of Arizona-based True West magazine, a big admirer of Hansen's book, says: "His work sets the stage for historical drama. My impression after reading it is that he only enhanced the gaps where we didn't know what exactly happened."

"Taking Aim at Jesse James & History"
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/07/AR2007090700677.html?nav=hcmodule

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0443680/

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Bob Boze Bell's endorsement means a great deal to me. I haven't been interested in seeing this movie, but with a BBB recommendation, I may have to change my mind.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I look forward to this too. I have a letter, set of bone dice and a gentlemans gun that belonged to Jesse, which he left with my hubby's great granfather, after a shoot out from a bank robbery. He was taken in by hubby's great grandparents, hidden, nursed, til Frank could come and get him. It will go on loan to the museum this year. :)

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I look forward to this too. I have a letter, set of bone dice and a gentlemans gun that belonged to Jesse, which he left with my hubby's great granfather, after a shoot out from a bank robbery. He was taken in by hubby's great grandparents, hidden, nursed, til Frank could come and get him. It will go on loan to the museum this year. :)
That is beyond cool!

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
This is a movie I really want to see - my hometown is St. Joseph, MO (where the dirty little coward shot Mr. Howard and laid poor Jesse in his grave). We have several family stories that involve Jesse James (or Mr. Howard) but no actual artifacts like kimmi. Wish we did!

The first time I ever entered the Jesse James house, I walked in through the back door (it was not open at the time). This was just after the house had been moved from the Belt Highway where it was for many years down to the Patee House, not far from the original location, and it was empty. Long story but I always thought it was cool that I walked into the kitchen first!

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I have a friend who's a blood relative of Jesse James. He used to be a biker and he's still a pretty tough guy. I can easily see him riding with a bunch of outlaws.
Linnea

stc

Registered
Reaction score
kimmi:
"I have a letter, set of bone dice and a gentlemans gun that belonged to Jesse..."

Whoaa! You'd have been the show-and-tell star at my school. Extremely cool.

And I'm probably not the only person thinking about the beginning of...a paranormal western?

Tell me kimmi, have these relics ever displayed any...unusual properties? Or induced unusual thoughts or behavior in others?

You don't have to answer truthfully...

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
kimmi:
"I have a letter, set of bone dice and a gentlemans gun that belonged to Jesse..."

Whoaa! You'd have been the show-and-tell star at my school. Extremely cool.

And I'm probably not the only person thinking about the beginning of...a paranormal western?

Tell me kimmi, have these relics ever displayed any...unusual properties? Or induced unusual thoughts or behavior in others?

You don't have to answer truthfully...
My daughter did indeed take to her school , dice and letter, to show along with a writing assignment, however, (picture of gun only. ;)). It is a very cool thing, Jesse shared a bed with then 4 year old great grandfather of hubby and disappeared, leaving behind the items for child, thanking the family that hid him out and nursed him til Frank could get to him.

No unusual properties, but tis wonderful, the holding of history in your hand.