Oog. (long)

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Is there anyone on the planet with a worse job than me? (Besides the guys who have to clean porta-potties)

I swear, I'm gonna quit McD's one of these days.

I have dealt with waaaaayyyy too much harrassment from YOUNGER employees (who are taller/bigger than me so they basically get their way), which gets a kind-of dramatic reaction from me (crying). The GM said that "You make fun of yourself all the time, so if I had to write someone up, it'd be you, too."

I was once forced to work a six-hour shift with a shift manager, let's call her Shego. We are packed (as we are on a highway) for the whole night and she says "I thought you already got a break". I never received a break and at the time was under 18 (fed. mandated break). She didn't send me home but made me work the full shift.

Then, today, I was supposed to work 10-1.

10-1 became 10-3 because we are short handed. Understandable.

10-3 became 10-6. Slightly less understandable, but money in the bank.

10-6 became 10:6:30, at which point I decide to tell Shego "Uh, I'm still basically a minor because I'm still in school, right?'

"Yeah, why?"

"Cause I've been on the clock for 8:30 hrs."

"Clock out and go home. Thanks a lot. Now we're gonna get fined $4000."

Is it my fault?

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Ugh. McD's. I feel your pain. Worked there for the longest year of my life. Became an assistant manager. Managing is even worse.

And no, they won't be fined unless you turn them in. That is an attempted guilt trip. Not a very good attempt, since it would serve them right to get fined...

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
If I felt like it (since I feel like screwing around with this waste of oxygen), who would I report it to? The HR line?

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
The HR line will get them in trouble with corporate.

Authorities to report it to vary by state. Where I worked, it would have been the Department of Labor -- you might check with a local employment office. If nothing else, they can steer you in the right direction.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you.

Since this is the second offense, should I let it drop, or report it?

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
If you have a legitimate complaint, which it seems you do, take it to these folks.

Asking MD's HR department if they can help is akin to inquiring whether they can help sue their own company.

Good luck.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, not good. My daughter works at McDonalds after school, holidays etc., and the local one seems to me to be excellent employers. Very fair, tolerant (her time-keeping got a bit erratic when she was having trouble sleeping and tired all the time, but they understood and were very accommodating). And for youth rates, seems to pay much better than her previous jobs.

They have some laughs too, especialy concerning friends who go through the drive-through. She was saying the other day a guy asked for more ice, so they opened a whole 20 lb (or whatever) bag of ice and threw the whole thing through his window so it showered all through his car. The old people in the car behind were laughing like crazy. Naughty though!

You must have struck a bum outfit. Sorry to hear, pn.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how MD works worldwide, but in the states, many are owned by individuals who are franchisees. The food may taste the same, but the work environment is different from one location to another.

No matter where you work, don't let anyone in management push you around. Laws are in place to protect workers, whether it's questions about wages or discrimination or harassment or whatever. In the US, follow the link I mentioned upthread, if for no other reason than to understand Federal laws.

Also, depending upon where you live, state employment laws apply as well.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Call in sick and spend the day getting a new job.

You don't want to be fired from Mickey D's. The only thing worse than working there (and I did, as a teen), is being 'not good enough to work at McDonalds'.

Good luck.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, similar jobs at Subway tend to be better. Next time you've got a day off, apply. Like Mickey D's, they're often franchised and some owners are better to work for than others. I know two people who recently worked at two Subways, and both reported much more positive work environments than you've got.

That said, it's not too early or late for you to stand up for yourself. Take responsibility for your own rights. Tell the employees you believe are harassing you to knock it off before McDonald's gets in legal trouble, because anyone can report anonymously--and the customers should neither see nor hear this shit. Tell your manager you haven't taken a break yet, that he's required to give you one, and you want it ASAP. Likewise, give a heads-up around 7:30 that you're legally not allowed to work more than 8 hours and you'll be leaving at 8:00.

And apply at Subway on the way home.

Maryn, no fan of McDonald's

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Become an orthodondist. It's like a dentist but paid even more. Those guys seem happy and make lots of cash.

Os.

"I am your dentist
And I enjoy the career that I picked
I am your dentist
And I get off on the pain I inflict!"

Nah, dentist/ortho's not for me...

Well, I quit.

Tonight the work environment became hostile and personally dangerous.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Naco,

I'm pretty sure that corporate McDonald's has a zero tolerance violence policy. Being shoved violates that policy. There are probably posters around for a Compliance Hotline or other information where you may report this.

Since this place just keeps getting worse, report them to the Department of Labor for labor infractions and corporate or the police for assault. You do not have put up with this. If you know who owns the particular franchise you work at, report it all there too.

Find a retail or other fast food job. Whatever you want. You have a valid reason for not even giving two weeks. No one deserves to be assaulted on the job by coworkers.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Get a job at a country club waiting tables. It worked out great for those kids in High School Musical Two. They got to sing, go swimming, play golf, and dance--all on the clock.

Sorry about your troubles--try Starbucks.

IReidandWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Get a job at a country club waiting tables. It worked out great for those kids in High School Musical Two. They got to sing, go swimming, play golf, and dance--all on the clock.

Sorry about your troubles--try Starbucks.

You're BRILLIANT!

:D

Well, I remembered I had a 38 hour work week, so I'd LOVE to get that moneys.

I'll see how this coming week goes.