Copyright and other e-functions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlvalent

Hello,

I recently had a discussion with a few publishers regarding e-submissions and copyright laws. If you have the time, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the subject.

+ Do you copywrite your work prior to submission?

+ Do you submit your file by converting it to a *.pdf?

+ How do you determine whether or not an e-zine is reputable?

+ Have you had any challenges when submitting due to the push for online submissions?

Also, does anyone know if there is a well-respected online resource that catalogs e-zines?

Happy writing!

Sincerely,

Monica Valentinelli
Arts and Entertainment Moderator
www.flamesrising.com

mammamaia

in the us, all work is automatically copyrighted as soon as you finish it and put your name on it... all that's done after that, is registering the copyright that already exists... it's certainly not necessary to register articles... or even a book ms, as the publisher will do that prior to it being printed...

it's more important that you keep your first notes and drafts, so if there's ever any dispute, you can show the progression from idea to finished work...

screenplays, tv work and stage plays are different, as they're not published, but produced... with those, you should register your work at least with the wga [in hollywood, it's expected for all screenplays]... some screenwriters want the additional protection loc [library of congress] registration offers, as a screenplay is easier for someone to palm off as their own, than a novel...

...imo, rtf works just as well and will work for those who don't have adobe... some may think pdf is better... i happen not to...

...do your homework!... check them out at places like 'writers beware' and 'preditors & editors' and below at our own 'bewares and background' board... and google for info on them... you can tell a lot from their site and their contracts [or lack of same]...

i'll leave the other questions to those who're dealing with such in their own careers... hope my bits are helpful...

love and hugs, maia

Jamesaritchie

e-zines

Your writing is already copyrighted the moment you write it. Registration just puts a time stamp on the work so you can prove when you wrote it, should the need ever arise. Professional writers do not register their work before submitting it. This should tell you something.

Only if this is the format the e-zine wants. You should always check guidelines and learn what format is wanted.

Who's been published therein, and/or does it pay the writers?

+ Have you had any challenges when submitting due to the push for online submissions?

What push for online submissions? Better than 90% of all magazines, even a number of electronic magazines, still want hardcopy submissions. But submitting electronically poses no special problems, and is easier than submitting hardcopy, so what challenges?

Also, does anyone know if there is a well-respected online resource that catalogs e-zines?

Not off the top of my head, but try a Google search. If such a site is out there, Google has it.

veingloree

Re: e-zines

the others have covered this

No. I do whatever the guidelines say and they have never asked for this.

If it pays money I don't particularly worry about it. If if doesn't and I've never heard of it before I don't submit to it.

I only use e-sub. this is a limitation. Almost every market allows normal mail submissions even when they prefer e-subs.

No, but the market listings include them along with pays rates and user feedback (ralan, quintamid, engen, black hole)

mlvalent

RE: Questions

Thanks for responding to my questions.

In terms of e-submissions, I would have thought that more people would progress to that. I choose to primarily submit online because of cost issues. Toner, quality paper, and postage costs can add up quickly.

In terms of online magazines, I'm getting the impression that it is better to build a portfolio by getting published in a reputable magazine rather than to be published in many of poorer quality. Do you feel this is the case?

At this time, I am in the process of rebuilding my portfolio. Does anyone have an opinion as to how current one's portfolio should be for pub dates?

Monica Valentinelli
Arts and Entertainment Moderator
www.flamesrising.com
What are you afraid of?

Jamesaritchie

Re: RE: Questions

I'm getting the impression that it is better to build a portfolio by getting published in a reputable magazine rather than to be published in many of poorer quality. Do you feel this is the case?

The bigger and more reputable the magazine, the more attention being published there receives from agents and editors, by a bunch, but any paying magazine credits are better than nothing.

Does anyone have an opinion as to how current one's portfolio should be for pub dates?

Well, the more current the better, but a good credit is a good credit.

Yeshanu

As James said, check the guidelines.

I've check a few, and many of the ones I've read have said something like this:

Please paste your submission into the body of the email. We do not accept or open attachments.

Many publishers say they will return emails containing attachments back to you without opening them.

The others almost always specify what format they want. If they didn't, I would email first and ask. I've not read even one set of guidelines that asked for PDF.

aka eraser

I've never seen a request for a pdf either. I occasionally get proofs/galleys sent back to me from mags as a pdf so I can see the illustrations/photos/sidebars etc. as they will appear in the mag. By that point though it usually takes an act of God to get any changes made.

Status
Not open for further replies.