How long does a 1200w article take you to write?

machlynn

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I know it sounds stupid. The good news is I've had tremendous success over the last 9 months and have published 15 articles in local papers and regional mags. I'd like to start contacting bigger pubs.
However, I'm at a crossroads. It takes me FOREVER to complete each article (research, interviews, writing, cutting my article in half 'cause I'm seriously over on words, etc.) and I don't think it's even profitable anymore. I'm fairly organized, so I'm not sure that's it. Maybe 10-15 hours an article is normal :)
Before I stash away my writing pen, I pose this question to you pros: How long does it typically take you --start to finish -- for a 1200 word article (as an example). Is there a magic formula (hours per word count) to use as a target?
Thanks in advance!

Thump

defying grabbity
Registered
Reaction score
Spending one short day in the Emerald City
I'm not an expert but my guess is the more you do it, the faster you'll be at it. You'll also get used to doing things closer to right the first time as well as more concise.

Practice, practice, practice?

machlynn

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply... I thought I would be quicker and concise by now... but it hasn't seemed to get easier.

Featurewriter

hoarse whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bymichaelriley.com
ROI

ROI: Return On Investment

It's tough to predict ROI when you're first starting out in this or any other venture. You mentioned writing for local papers (which usually pay next to nothing) and regional mags. My experience with both is that I can't afford to write for those types of publications because the ROI, after even minimal expenses, can be less than minimum wage.

There are too many variables to answer your question the way it's posed. It's not about article length. It's about the many factors that go into a given article ... and no two are ever alike.

It's an old joke amongst writers: "If I'd had more time, I would have written a shorter article." If I know the topic intimately, I can put out a 1,200-word article in about the third the time it would take me to draft one of the same length where I had to learn the topic.

It sounds like you're really asking how to make more money as a freelance writer. (If not, please disregard my inference.) My best answer is to suggest that you keep honing your skills, which you're doing, then go after markets that pay better. It takes time to figure out how long it takes YOU to do what you do, but once you get a better idea, you'll know what to target and how.

As to calculating hourly ROI, I try to benchmark assignments so that they come out paying no less than $45 an hour. $65 is better (and a more common goal for me). It's unlikely that you'll even come close to that writing for local papers.

But for trade publications, it's another story. And for that, you've come to the right place. Check out the other threads posted here over the years and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck!

Last edited:

BizWriter

Registered
Reaction score
This is an old posting, but thought I'd reply anyhow. For me, it's tough to give a definite hourly total on a 1200 word article. If it's a topic I know well, and have some resources lined up or identified, the article can go swiftly.

But if it's a new topic or field that I need to educate myself on first, then locate experts to interview (and how hard are they to find, set up interviews with, etc.),then time can dramatically increase.

I have noticed, however, that tight deadlines produce articles that get done faster than extended deadlines that drag on before I get really focused on finalizing the project--if that makes sense. Sometimes I like tighter deadlines for that reason. "Get 'er done."

Last edited:

Chicago Jake

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sciencewriter.homestead.com
I have noticed, however, that tight deadlines produce articles that get done faster than extended deadlines that drag on before I get really focused on finalizing the project--if that makes sense. Sometimes I like tighter deadlines for that reason. "Get 'er done."

That's called Parkinson's Law: Work expands to fill the time alloted. It sounds like just a pessimistic and humorous quip, but it is well documented that it is also true!......Jake

Last edited:

ADS

You can also look for ways to recycle content. You've done a bunch of research about a broad topic. See if you can do a little additional research so you can tailor something for a different outlets with different audiences.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
When I'm in "The Zone," I can knock out 1500-2000 words in one sitting of a couple hours. That's not counting interviews or research. It's just the part where I pound out the story.

I think one thing taught me how to write fast on demand: being a news stringer. since you've already worked with local newspapers, would any potentially hire you to cover meetings and whatnot? I did that for a Chicago daily where I was required to attend the meeting, then have my article done before midnight. I did that for two years, and it was a better education than many classes.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Depending on the topic and how well the research and interview went, I'd say about four hours. But I have a (bad) habit of returning to rewrite and rewrite until deadline. So, it could be days, months and years. Then again, I'm a little nuts, so don't pay any attention to me.

I find it more difficult to do an 800 word article or a 500 word article (on the same topic) than an 1200 word article. This is even though i have a background in short copy.

NeverEndingStory

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I know it sounds stupid. The good news is I've had tremendous success over the last 9 months and have published 15 articles in local papers and regional mags. I'd like to start contacting bigger pubs.
However, I'm at a crossroads. It takes me FOREVER to complete each article (research, interviews, writing, cutting my article in half 'cause I'm seriously over on words, etc.) and I don't think it's even profitable anymore. I'm fairly organized, so I'm not sure that's it. Maybe 10-15 hours an article is normal :)

Been there, still there at times. It does get a bit better as time goes on. I'm definitely writing tighter and "faster" than I was two years ago. Of course, always remember, "faster" is a relative term. We all have different requirements and therefore different ways of doing things. Just do what makes the most sense for you. As long as you're happy, and the bills are paid, I imagine the rest will work itself out.

So true! I've had two assignments on deck for two months. As my initial deadlines were creeping up both articles got bumped to future issues. In turn, my deadlines got bumped. I've had two months to get these babies done. One piece is due next Friday and I've got the interview but haven't written more than an intro paragraph. The other is due two weeks from now. Just yesterday I scheduled the interview for the middle of next week, thanks to the three-day weekend. Now, because I've waited until the last minute simply because I could, I'm starting to feel stressed about being under the gun. I swear, give me an inch ...

Collen McGee

Registered
Reaction score
Focus

Try looking at your article from a "what's the point" perspective. Meaning - get a focal point and stick to it.
I often give one hour for interviews -then I transcribe my notes - or word dump everything into a word document. Then it is time for a break to let the details sift in my mind - that's when I do something else or work on another story.
When I come back with refreshed eyes, I select key parts of my notes and past them in the order of my mental outline and then write the transitions between main ideas/quotes, proofread and polish.
Practice finding your focus first. The faster you find that, and the harder you stick to it, the faster you will be able to get from the lede to the conclusion.

Collen

April

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with ADS. If you are getting just one article out of each research set, then you are losing money. You could probably get at least three articles (written from a different angle) out of each set. Since research is the most time consuming (for me at least) part of the process, you can greatly increase your ROI that way.

freelancemomma

Registered
Reaction score
My answer

I've been a full-time freelance writer for 16 years. For a 1200-word article I estimate about 7 hours (2 for the research, including phone interviews, 1 for the outline and 4 for the writing).

While the trades don't pay as high a word rate as consumer mags, I find that the hourly rate you end up with is pretty similar, because the glossy consumer mags are often edited by committee, which means lotsa revising. With the trades the revisions tend to be minimal.

Over the years I've become a faster and better writer, and also learned how to pick and choose my projects, so I now make a much higher income than I ever did at a full-time office job. As I'm fond of saying, I'll consider going back to an office if someone points a gun to my head...

Freelance