Website Counter Questions

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
We just put a counter on our website to track how many visitors we get. At this point, we only have the counter on the home page. When we look at the details we can see how many of the hits to the home page are returning visitors, and how many are new. We can also see where they came from and a bunch of other stuff. We intentionally put the counter only on the home page because we want to get as close to a true number of visitors as possible (that's one of the issues we had with crazyguy - each time anyone clicked on any of our pages, it counted as one hit. In other words, one person could read the whole journal and rack up 350 hits).

However, I was just reading about how you can use the popular pages data to help set up the website - we can figure out which pages don't get much traffic and try to direct people there with other links and such. That sounds like a good idea. To do that, however, we would need to put the counter on each page. Would putting it on each page just give us a total number of hits for the entire site?? Or would it itemize the list so we know how many are on each page?

For those of you who know this stuff, what kinds of tips and suggestions can you give me? I can see how getting that tracking could be useful once we are really gearing up for our next big trip, but I'm not sure how best to set it all up. Thanks for whatever help you can give me!

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Ummm.. I wouldn't be using web counters for the sort of data you're after. Most web hosts provide tools that show all kinds of data about traffic. I let my webspace go because I wasn't really utilising the space anymore or I would show you a screen shot of what I mean, but I could tell what pages were getting hit at what times of the day/week/month, what countries the hits were originating.. all sorts.

All web engines have logging (assuming it is enabled) that stores this info. It's just knowing how to access it, unless the feature just isn't provided by your host. I'd check this out with your provider.

Deleted member 42

Ditch the counter; it's totally lame. Register with free stat sites, if your ISP doesn't provide logs and processing software via a Web browser. Sitecounter.com is one of the free stat sites; there are several others. Much more useful data. You create a free account, then paste a snippet of javascript on pages you want to track.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
We have all of that with the counter we put on. But we aren't sure how it logs the counts. We feel that the number of hits we've gotten on our online journal is misleading - sure it's nice to look at that 630,000 number and think, "Wow!! That's a lot of people!" But on the other hand, given the fact that we get one hit registered for EVERY page somebody goes to, it really isn't that many individual people. On our website, we can get the data we want - if we go in and search. But we would like some kind of counter that is displayed right there so that any ol' Joe Blo can look and see how many PEOPLE have visited our site. We will be seeking out sponsors for our next big journey and I would love to point a company to our website and say, "You can see how many visitors our site gets." Does that make sense?

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
statcounter.com is the one we are using! It is great and there is so much info - but we don't know how they register the hits in the total number. Will the number be different on each page? Or will it all tie in together for all the pages?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Ditch the counter; it's totally lame. Register with free stat sites, if your ISP doesn't provide logs and processing software via a Web browser. Sitecounter.com is one of the free stat sites; there are several others. Much more useful data. You create a free account, then paste a snippet of javascript on pages you want to track.

????

"Ditch the counter. Get a counter instead."

???

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Nancy, you should be able to give each page a unique id, which ought to give you the ability to look at all click traffic, as well as per-page stats.

larocca

Business Editing Services
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaeledits.com
Try and see what you think. I put the same code on every page, and it tells me how many people visit each individual page, where they come from, etc. All free.

Deleted member 42

????

"Ditch the counter. Get a counter instead."

???

Dude, a counter displays the number of times a page is loaded, if it's decent, many of them however, display the number of hits, which is not, at all the same thing.

I'm suggesting that she use a javascript that tracks users and ties that data to the specific page; the script knows the page it's on because each static html page has a unique URL.

Deleted member 42

statcounter.com is the one we are using! It is great and there is so much info - but we don't know how they register the hits in the total number. Will the number be different on each page? Or will it all tie in together for all the pages?

Each page is tracked automatically because each page has a unique URL, that is, web address.

As long as each page has a unique URL/Web address, you'll get individual data for each page.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Dude, a counter displays the number of times a page is loaded, if it's decent, many of them however, display the number of hits, which is not, at all the same thing.

I'm suggesting that she use a javascript that tracks users and ties that data to the specific page; the script knows the page it's on because each static html page has a unique URL.

Who you calling dude?!?!?

Deleted member 42

I'm ignorant. What's the difference?

What you really want to count are unique visitors; that's done by registering the IP address of each computer that visits; it's not perfect but it's a decent guide.

A "hit" is registered each time the server a Web page lives on responds to a request from a visitor's Web browser.

So that means there's one "hit" for the text of a page, and one for each image, at a minimum. And if a visitor clicks Reload, then the reload sends those hits again.

So a page with text and five tiny images, say, counts as six hits.

Deleted member 42

Yikes!! So we want page loads then - which is good, since that's what we have.

Well, no, not really. You want unique visitors, but more than that, you want to know what site the visitors are coming from; those are called referrals.

You want to be linked to on other quality sites, you want lots of unique visitors, and you want them to come back again.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
statcounter.com does give us the unique visitors info and where they've come from. We've only had it up for two days now and we've already learned a lot! Quite a few people have come to our site through another that I didn't even know existed!! It's a wonderful website about families that are out traveling, and we've had 8 or 9 people come to us via them. All this website stuff is all new to me.