PDA

View Full Version : OMG! This is pathetic!

Thump
09-16-2007, 04:55 AM
http://www.wikihow.com/Flirt-with-a-Guy

Excerpt:

Achieve the Perfect Personality.
Whenever you talk to your special guy think of the three S’s: Sweetness, Sexiness and Smarts. Sweetness comes with vulnerability, shyness and kindness. These three factors are especially important because they are what make your hottie feel especially masculine. To act vulnerable and shy try tucking your hair behind your ears, smiling charmingly and batting your eyelashes. Or you could pull your (long) sleeves over your hands and hold on with your thumbs. Then straighten your arms out (downward) and maybe bite your lower lip and raise your eyebrows.
Magic Touch- You can learn to brush a guy in such a way that you send tingles up and down his spine. Casually tap him while laughing, rest your head on his shoulder if you’re tired and hold his hand when you're nervous; it will give him a sense of manliness and you a touch sweetie-pie, no pun intended.
Massages are always nice. :roll:

And it goes on and on... Honestly... MASSAGES? :Shrug:

If this is the true way to flirt then no wonder I'm single >_< !

(P.S. don't ask me why I was on that page *blush*)

DamaNegra
09-16-2007, 04:57 AM
Why were you on that page??? :D

scarletpeaches
09-16-2007, 04:58 AM
Oh god. I've done that 'resting your head on his shoulder' thing...but not 'cause I was trying to flirt. It just felt natural. And that's the key. You can't force it.

When I sat up, he said, "I like it when you do that," so I knew I was in there. ;)

But the rest of those flirtatious moves...is it just me or would they make a woman look as if she was having a seizure?

kristie911
09-16-2007, 05:00 AM
But the rest of those flirtatious moves...is it just me or would they make a woman look as if she was having a seizure?

:roll:

If this is what I have to do to find a man, then I'm glad I'm single...and I'll be that way for awhile! :D

Thump
09-16-2007, 05:01 AM
If I were a guy (or heck, in a lesbian bar, why not?), I'd think the chick is seriously either desperate and dumb...

Batting eyelashes and biting your bottom lip because "guys love it"... oi!

Thump
09-16-2007, 05:04 AM
Why were you on that page??? :D

Erm...er...*shifty*...

Research? Yeah! That's right! Research! For my WIP! Which involves no romance whatsoever... *twich*

scarletpeaches
09-16-2007, 05:09 AM
Erm...er...*shifty*...

Research? Yeah! That's right! Research! For my WIP! Which involves no romance whatsoever... *twich*

Are you flirting with me? :D

Seriously though...some of those things happen naturally. And again, that's the key. If you try to remember all those seductive moves, you'll come across as stiff and unnatural. Whereas if two people are into each other, their body language will show it and they won't even have to try.

It's the whole 'do this because guys like it' thing I object to. Not the moves themselves.

Like the thing I mentioned earlier, when I rested my head on a guy's shoulder? I didn't even think before I did it. It was only after I moved I realised what I'd done - and then he said he liked it because it showed I was comfortable with him.

If you feel comfortable with a guy, nine times out of ten you'll flirt with him and not even know you're doing it. It's the try-hards who come across as desperate - you can tell a mile off they don't really like the guy; they're only pulling the moves because they want a man. Any man.

DamaNegra
09-16-2007, 05:20 AM
Erm...er...*shifty*...

So... are we going to see you twitching at the local bar in front of cute guys too?? ;)

kristie911
09-16-2007, 05:22 AM
I just get drunk and flash them...works every time. They don't even notice if you're not batting your eyelashes. :D

Sage
09-16-2007, 05:25 AM
I just get drunk and flash them...works every time. They don't even notice if you're not batting your eyelashes. :D
So, that's what it takes!

But I don't like being drunk...

akiwiguy
09-16-2007, 05:25 AM
Whereas if two people are into each other, their body language will show it and they won't even have to try.

Exactly. And eye contact tells me everything in about 1 second flat.

Thump
09-16-2007, 05:27 AM
Oh God! I just went out to say hi to my neighbour and the guy from down the corridor was outside. He's really hot and I...I batted my eyelashes!! >_<

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

akiwiguy
09-16-2007, 05:28 AM
I just get drunk and flash them...works every time.

Hmmm, every time huh? My approach is similar, but...

JLCwrites
09-16-2007, 05:34 AM
Oh God! I just went out to say hi to my neighbour and the guy from down the corridor was outside. He's really hot and I...I batted my eyelashes!! >_<

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

The worst that can happen?
He offers to help you with that eyelash in your eye!

Another tactic... go to the grocery store during lunch break! The last time I did, I was surrounded by firemen, and basketball players.
I'm married, but they were nice to look at!

Thump
09-16-2007, 05:35 AM
Whoa! I wish I lived in your neighbourhood. Nothing but unwashed students and little old ladies in my grocery store X-D

Honestly though, I just can't seem to get the hang of flirting. Doesn't help that most guys just head off to be nice to my friends and completely ignore me *whine*.

I just feel like I get this dopey grin without being able to help it...

*sigh* I need me a mail-order groom.

dclary
09-16-2007, 05:37 AM
I honest-to-god would be putty in the hands of a woman who did that stuff to me.

Thump
09-16-2007, 05:38 AM
I honest-to-god would be putty in the hands of a woman who did that stuff to me.

*looks at Dclary adoringly, bites her lower lip, put her hand delicately on his shoulder and bats her eyelashes*

melaniehoo
09-16-2007, 05:46 AM
pull on your sleeves - quick!

Cassiopeia
09-16-2007, 05:47 AM
oh boy..get a room ;)

Sage
09-16-2007, 05:55 AM
Actually, not only do I personally suck at flirting, I have no ability to tell if someone is flirting with me (maybe they just aren't).

Azraelsbane
09-16-2007, 05:56 AM
As sickening as it sounds when read... I grew up around guys, and teen guys are all over this stuff. Do you notice how many celebs bite their bottom lip and play coy specifically for the camera? And the ol' pull your shirt over your hands and act "cold" ... it just screams "Get over here and make me warm, I need you." ;)

Yeah...it's cheesy, but hey, they're not far off the mark.

dclary
09-16-2007, 06:28 AM
*looks at Dclary adoringly, bites her lower lip, put her hand delicately on his shoulder and bats her eyelashes*

/Goes all twitterpated.

scarletpeaches
09-16-2007, 12:41 PM
It also helps if you stop growing when you get to 5'2". Guys are always telling me how tiny I am, and how they want to protect me.

Ha. If only they knew. :e2teeth:

larocca
09-16-2007, 02:56 PM
I'm sorry, but this is all an utter pile of crap. Stupidity is never sexy. If I may quote Prince, act your age, not your shoe size.

scarletpeaches
09-16-2007, 03:03 PM
What's stupid about making the opposite (or same) sex feel as if you're attracted to them?

Making an effort for someone is always impressive. Not acting stupid, no, or being a try-hard, but it's flattering to think someone likes you enough to make an effort, or likes you enough to let you know they fancy you.

TrainofThought
09-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Actually, not only do I personally suck at flirting, I have no ability to tell if someone is flirting with me (maybe they just aren't).Too funny, I'm the same way. My friends laugh at me because I'm oblivious when a guy is flirting with me and I think he's just being nice.

Thump
09-16-2007, 07:45 PM
What's stupid about making the opposite (or same) sex feel as if you're attracted to them?

Making an effort for someone is always impressive. Not acting stupid, no, or being a try-hard, but it's flattering to think someone likes you enough to make an effort, or likes you enough to let you know they fancy you.

Interested, okay. But vulnerable and "OMG! I need you to protect me with your big, strong arms!", that's just sad >_< I mean, if this were still the Victorian, that's one thing, but this is the 21st century.

Oh and...the idea of someone thinking that Scarletpeaches needs to be protected makes me rofl.

scarletpeaches
09-17-2007, 02:56 AM
Thank you. I'll take that as a compliment. :D

My stature is deceiving. I've got a six-foot personality in a five-foot-two, size eight body. ;)

Unique
09-17-2007, 03:24 AM
thanks for the warning.

Angie
09-17-2007, 03:45 AM

Sorry to interrupt, but...

I actually wrote a story in which the female character did all those flirtatious moves, and her "love interest" ran to call 911 because he thought she was having a seizure.

Yes, my sense of humor (and my writing) is twisted. :Shrug:

scarletpeaches
09-17-2007, 03:50 AM
If we thought of the same thing, then obviously we're as twisted as each other. ;)

brokenfingers
09-17-2007, 03:52 AM
So, I'm curious - is there a corresponding list for Flirt-With-A-Girl? I mean besides the usual ones like grunting at the appropriate times while listening and stuff.

Angie
09-17-2007, 03:56 AM
If we thought of the same thing, then obviously we're as twisted as each other. ;)

A truly frightening thought--there are TWO of us. :scared:

Angie
09-17-2007, 04:05 AM
So, I'm curious - is there a corresponding list for Flirt-With-A-Girl? I mean besides the usual ones like grunting at the appropriate times while listening and stuff.

HOW TO FLIRT WITH A GIRL: A Manual for Guys

Rule #1: Eye contact is key. Oh, I don't mean eye contact with her EYES--your gaze should never stray from her chest. Women love this, trust me.

Rule #2: Answer every question she asks with a leer and a sexual innuendo. Example: "Would you STOP staring at my chest?" *leer* "What would you prefer I stare at?" Bonus points if you waggle your eyebrows at her while asking this.

Rule #3: In the middle of a conversation with her (especially if she is telling you some really deep, private and personal information), belch loudly, scratch your belly (remember, guys - no butt scratching in front of her until the SECOND date), and ask her to grab you another beer.

Follow these simple rules, and I guarantee you'll be surprised at the results. Possibly in pain, but surprised. :e2beat:

brokenfingers
09-17-2007, 04:09 AM
See, I don't understand. I'm doing all this stuff!

Angie
09-17-2007, 04:12 AM
Hm. Are you *sure* you're not dragging your gaze from her chest to occasionally look into her eyes? Because that can kill the moment as surely as if you'd actually *listened* to anything she was saying.

brokenfingers
09-17-2007, 04:18 AM
Yup, yup. I try to keep my eyes averted as much as I can but sometimes they poke me and say: "Hey, Ah'm talkin' to you!"

Maybe I should steer the conversation towards me more.

Hmmmm... or maybe it's my parachute pants and platform shoes. It might be time for a new wardrobe. Maybe a nice polyester leisure suit.

Angie
09-17-2007, 04:20 AM
Or maybe you just need more cologne. I cannot stress enough the benefits of dumping an entire bottle of cologne on yourself before talking to a girl.

Don't mind her pretending to gag -- she's just playing hard to get.

brokenfingers
09-17-2007, 04:24 AM
Wow, Angie! You're swell! This is golden!

I'm going out to buy a bottle of Brut, right now! Or do you think I should get the fancy stuff, like Old Spice?

Angie
09-17-2007, 04:25 AM
Oh, definitely the Old Spice. If you really want the girl, you need to show her you're a class act all the way.

brokenfingers
09-17-2007, 04:28 AM
Thanks a lot. Just one more question:

If I buy her a drink and she accepts, it definitely means she wants me, right?

Also, at what decibel does no really mean No when offering to buy a drink?

Angie
09-17-2007, 04:41 AM
Thanks a lot. Just one more question:

If I buy her a drink and she accepts, it definitely means she wants me, right?

Also, at what decibel does no really mean No when offering to buy a drink?

First of all, that's TWO more questions. :tongue

Question one: Duh. Just remember NOT to call her the next day.

Question two: Decibels don't matter. "No" only means "NO" at the point when she breaks a pool cue over your head. Anything up to that point still means "yes".

scarletpeaches
09-17-2007, 04:52 AM
Oh, definitely the Old Spice. If you really want the girl, you need to show her you're a class act all the way.

No, no, no, no, no.

THIS stuff:

http://www.basenotes.net/images/photos/26120738.jpg

Angie
09-17-2007, 04:58 AM
Hai Karate!!

How could I have POSSIBLY forgotten that one?? *slaps forehead*

brokenfingers
09-17-2007, 04:59 AM
Wow. I'd like to seriously thank you ladies for helping me out. I think I'll just combine them both. I mean, you can't have too much of a good thing, right?

I'm headed out for the evening and I can't wait to put your tips to good use. Tell me this: should I go with the fluorescent green ascot or the houndstooth beret?

Angie
09-17-2007, 05:07 AM
Actually, I suggest something like this (http://www.kulick.net/photoalbum/BK_Message_Jan06/ChineseHat.jpg) -- it shows you're sensitive to other cultures. Women love that crap.

Angie
09-17-2007, 05:11 AM
...and as for mixing colognes, Polo goes much better with Hai Karate. Go easy, though - just HALF a bottle of each for best effect.

brokenfingers
09-17-2007, 05:25 AM
Whoah! That Polo stuff is waaaay too expensive! I don't wanna come across as TOO successful, know what I mean?

Keep expectations low, that's my motto.

canteloupe1020
09-17-2007, 05:48 AM
It's always going to be about what the person you're looking to impress wants to see. I assume it's going to be an expensive night if someone does that to me.

And they usually walk in with another guy, so I'm not getting into that anyway.

If a woman wants me to notice her, she's going to have to realize that I'm not into games.

Anyone want to play?

Angie
09-17-2007, 06:17 AM
Depends. What are we playing??

BF: Yes, it's always good to keep expectations low. So I would suggest using one of those Polo knockoffs. Same effect, less cost.

BenPanced
09-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Ghod, if a woman did any of that to me I'd put down my drink and leave because I'd seriously be in the wrong bar...

dclary
09-17-2007, 11:59 AM
I'd like to take this opportunity to show the women of AW how compassionate and generous I am by being willing to volunteer as a test subject for anyone who wants to try out these (or other) flirting techniques.

Cassiopeia
09-17-2007, 12:37 PM
I am not sure I would want the man who responded to all that. It would seem he is easily manipulated and I like a guy who thinks for himself.

scarletpeaches
09-17-2007, 02:30 PM
What if it comes naturally, though, Cass? Sometimes you can't help it - your body language gives you away when you fancy someone. Maybe not all of those moves and certainly not at once, but when you've got the hots for someone you'd have a hard job trying to hide it. It'd probably be more difficult to do so than pretending you liked someone if you didn't by acting out all those moves!

Cassiopeia
09-17-2007, 02:41 PM
What if it comes naturally, though, Cass? Sometimes you can't help it - your body language gives you away when you fancy someone. Maybe not all of those moves and certainly not at once, but when you've got the hots for someone you'd have a hard job trying to hide it. It'd probably be more difficult to do so than pretending you liked someone if you didn't by acting out all those moves!

Oh I agree if that is your natural expression, it's all good. But to contrive and to manipulate a man, well that is something altogether different.

I DO have some instinctively feminine ways myself (or so I am told) that are irresistibly charming. ;) (so I am told)

Thump
09-18-2007, 06:01 AM
I got my first boyfriend because he said I was hot. No one had said I was hot before.

Boy...did I regret falling for that one!

TrainofThought
09-18-2007, 06:09 AM
I got my first boyfriend because he said I was hot. No one had said I was hot before.

Boy...did I regret falling for that one!Same here, except he said I was easy. I thought he really knew me. :D

Angie
09-18-2007, 06:10 AM
Sadly, some of us fall for that one over and over. :Headbang:

MMWyrm
09-18-2007, 10:27 PM
You can learn to brush a guy in such a way that you send tingles up and down his spine.

<pout> This is the only one I'm good at... and it usually comes after all that flirting crap.

Really... that original quote sounded more like "How to Act Like an Anime Girl" or something like that.

Harimum
09-19-2007, 02:27 AM
It also helps if you stop growing when you get to 5'2". Guys are always telling me how tiny I am, and how they want to protect me.

Ha. If only they knew. :e2teeth:

LOL, when will they learn! Size doesn't matter! At least it only matters if you let it. I'm 6 foot and I'm too shy to wear high heels because I'm scared of looking like a bigfoot! :( But I know a woman who is 6'2 and she wears heels with confidence and looks great.

There's nothing as unsexy as a woman (or man for that matter) who is so self-conscious that they make everyone around them feel uncomfortable.

I used to wear high heel shoes in my 20's but I looked good then and I didn't care that people noticed me (because of my height). But now in my 30's with 10lb of post-pregnancy weight to lose I don't have that same confidence right now.

I think the key is to be comfortable and confident and above all - be natural! When you start trying to 'act' then you just look and feel stupid.

EriRae
09-19-2007, 02:33 AM
Are you flirting with me? :D

Seriously though...some of those things happen naturally. And again, that's the key. If you try to remember all those seductive moves, you'll come across as stiff and unnatural. Whereas if two people are into each other, their body language will show it and they won't even have to try.

It's the whole 'do this because guys like it' thing I object to. Not the moves themselves.

Like the thing I mentioned earlier, when I rested my head on a guy's shoulder? I didn't even think before I did it. It was only after I moved I realised what I'd done - and then he said he liked it because it showed I was comfortable with him.

If you feel comfortable with a guy, nine times out of ten you'll flirt with him and not even know you're doing it. It's the try-hards who come across as desperate - you can tell a mile off they don't really like the guy; they're only pulling the moves because they want a man. Any man.

Agreed. After an unfortunate dating incident I've mentioned elsewhere, I was very shy and didn't know what to do on a date. So I WAS vulnerable and did all these things, pulling down the sleeves, the lip-biting (a bad habit of mine). The guy this attracted: an abuser. He saw that vulnerability and exploited it. Two years later I was lucky to get out with my life. BE STRONG, GIRLS. If you can relax with a guy, that's great, but don't let him think he can push you around. Vulnerable can be taken the wrong way.

scarletpeaches
09-19-2007, 02:36 AM
I do all the moves mentioned in the OP when I fancy a guy but I'm not sure if he likes me back...but if I truly feel comfortable and confident with a man, I'll lean my head on his shoulder, or put my arm through his, or touch him...and I won't feel self-conscious because it'll all feel natural and right. So like you said, Erin - those moves previously mentioned tend to be the mark of the vulnerable. Or downright girly. Or the try-hards. ;)

EriRae
09-19-2007, 02:39 AM
Just be ready to kick him in the balls when he gets upity. That's all I'm saying. :D Then brush his arm and give him tingles when you say, "Or would you rather I called the cops?"

scarletpeaches
09-19-2007, 02:40 AM
I'd love to know what the move is to put tingles up a guy's spine.

I mean, I've got a sweet spot, but I ain't mentioning it here. Y'all might use it against me. ;)

Cassiopeia
09-19-2007, 03:28 AM
*peeks in and sees the topic at hand*

I'm too young for this.

Melisande
09-19-2007, 03:57 AM
To me, the best way of flirting, is to think that the guy is 'everything-a-woman-could-ever-dream-of' and let it show in your eyes. Men are generally smart and sensitive enough to detect a lie, so you have to believe it yourself in the moment. If it's right, he'll become just that. If not, it's easy enough to turn off.

Unique
09-19-2007, 04:13 AM

I mean, I've got a sweet spot, but I ain't mentioning it here. Y'all might use it against me. ;)

Here, peaches. Try this (http://tinyurl.com/2n6qjz).

I was gonna recommend this (http://tinyurl.com/37rzx7) but it's no longer available. Pity. It's a classic.:e2brows:

I'd make it recommended reading for every ... oh, never mind.

scarletpeaches
09-19-2007, 04:16 AM
Hmm.

It's not the sex that's a problem. It's the...no, never mind... ;)

Cassiopeia
09-19-2007, 04:18 AM
To me, the best way of flirting, is to think that the guy is 'everything-a-woman-could-ever-dream-of' and let it show in your eyes. Men are generally smart and sensitive enough to detect a lie, so you have to believe it yourself in the moment. If it's right, he'll become just that. If not, it's easy enough to turn off.
I am sorry, but that just seems a teensy weensy bit like manipulative or like you are turning someone into someone you want rather than accepting them for who they are.

Maybe I am not getting what you are saying, and I certainly don't mean to offend so if I am not getting ..please help me to understand. :)

Scarlet, we need to have a heart to heart ;) er...if private LOL

Unique
09-19-2007, 04:20 AM
If you can find a copy of the second one - find it.

It will tell you everything you've ever wanted to know.

scarletpeaches
09-19-2007, 04:22 AM
And what if I already know it? ;)

Like I said, it's not sex that's the issue here, but flirting. Getting past the starting gate. :D

Unique
09-19-2007, 04:28 AM
Can't help ya with the flirting. I was talking about this part:

but since you already know.... :hat:i'll stop talking so i don't scare away the innocents... (yeah, right)

scarletpeaches
09-19-2007, 04:29 AM
Oh. Right. Well, uh...I thought it was like a metaphorical thing. "Do this and he'll KNOW you're flirting with him," not, "Stick your finger here and he'll...":e2brows:

I'll stop talking.

Unique
09-19-2007, 04:30 AM
finger? i was supposed to use my hands?

well, okay. now I know...

scarletpeaches
09-19-2007, 04:32 AM
This thread disgusts me. I shouldn't even be here. I'm a virgin.

Unique
09-19-2007, 04:35 AM
will.not.bait.the.peaches.

signing off now.

scarletpeaches
09-19-2007, 04:36 AM
Aw, but you're a master baiter.

Ba-doom TISH!

/SP, signing off, going to bed now. Night all! :D

jst5150
09-19-2007, 04:36 AM
Move in close, and with the volume level of hummingbird's wings, whisper ever so gently:

"I love football."

Cassiopeia
09-19-2007, 04:50 AM
Move in close, and with the volume level of hummingbird's wings, whisper ever so gently:

"I love football."
or "insert the favourite sport of choice for the country you are in* :D

Melisande
09-19-2007, 04:51 AM
I am sorry, but that just seems a teensy weensy bit like manipulative or like you are turning someone into someone you want rather than accepting them for who they are.

Maybe I am not getting what you are saying, and I certainly don't mean to offend so if I am not getting ..please help me to understand. :)

I'm sorry. What I meant to say was that if one sees a guy and finds him interesting enough to want to flirt with him, then one should let it show in ones eyes. I didn't mean that one should manipulate, simply to embrace that impression, enhance it and believe it. And because you believe it, it becomes true. And also, that if the guy shows in a clear way that he really isn't interested, then turn off the feeling, lest you're into getting hurt, because it works both ways, doesn't it?

I didn't mean to imply that one should ascribe a lot of qualities to someone that might not have them, simply to allow oneself to believe in a first impression and go with a feeling. But because the very concept of flirt has got to do with that very first moment of recognition, of interest, then it really is easy enough to turn off that feeling. It's not like you've been married to the guy for fifteen years...

PattiTheWicked
09-19-2007, 03:49 PM

"I love football."

Guys apparently give bonus points if we do this while holding a six-pack of beer in one hand and a plate of nachos in the other.

larocca
09-19-2007, 04:14 PM
You do know how many guys it takes to open a beer, right?

None. It should be open when she brings it to you.

scarletpeaches
09-19-2007, 06:27 PM
I love football actually. And not your American Wussball, but the proper stuff. And it's got nothing to do with Francesco Totti at all, I promise. :D

PeeDee
09-19-2007, 06:30 PM
That quotation, in the first post, of flirting techniques?

Sounds great to me. I know a girl who does all those things. It works. Or at least, it would work if I weren't so married in a married sort of marrying way.

scarletpeaches
09-19-2007, 06:42 PM
Interesting you should say that, PeeDee. It's mostly women who are objecting to it but the men are saying "Hey, it works."

So if you want to attract someone, do it, but if you have the attitude, "I'd rather be single," then congratulations. You will be.

Men have got no reason to date you if you never do anything to please them. That's what relationships are aboout - making the other person happy. If you never do anything for their sake, including making yourself attractive and letting them know you find them attractive, then why the hell would they bother with you?

PeeDee
09-19-2007, 06:45 PM
Not to say that's the ONLY thing guys go for. In fact, if it hadn't been stated straight-up in this post, I don't know that a lot of the guys -- in this thread or otherwise -- would have put it into words quite like that.

It doesn't hurt. I mean, emo girl-guys aside, a guy doesn't mind feeling slightly important and slightly manly.

I will say, and this is certainly just me, that girls who are the polar opposite of that -- extremely forthright, outgoing, power-girls who are nice enough but are practically an armed-force all by themselves -- intimidate the hell out of me. It's not like I'm looking to date, but I find that I scarcely talk to them anyway through sheer intimidation. I know a few like that. We almost never speak.

(the sort of girls who, whenever I think of them, they seem taller than me...even though I'm taller than them. If you see what I mean.)

PeeDee
09-19-2007, 06:47 PM
This seems like a good place for this link. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU)

*runs away*