We are going to Hawaii on the 22nd! Seeking suggestions for what to do.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
More specifically, Maui. We're leaving next week and will be there for seven days. We're staying at a beach condo in Maalea for $125 a night. This is the first time we've ever been there and we're both very excited!

We visited the various "things to do on Maui" websites and have an itinerary planned, but I'd like to ask anyone here for their personal suggestions on things we can do: touristy things, sightseeing, etc.

This could be the only time we'll ever go to Hawaii for a long, long time. It'll be a full seven days!

allen

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Parasailing. I think that's what they call it when they hook you up to a big parachute and drag you behind a boat. Wheeeeee!!!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Keep in mind that everything you want to do on Maui costs $100. That's just the rule.

Things to do on maui:

Luau. Be sure to shop around... Sometimes a higher price makes a huge difference. For my money, the luaus around Lahaina are FAR superior to the ones in the south.

Snorkel. Buy a snorkel map and do your own shoreline snorkelling. The boat trip to Molokini is a massive ripoff unless you're in good shape and a great swimmer, or can scuba/snuba.

Whale Watch. It might be a little early in the season, but if it's not, it's well worth it. Trade winds kick up in the afternoon making for choppy seas: get a morning trip if you can.

Hana. The drive to Hana isn't nearly as impressive as it was when Hawaii wasn't suffering from major drought, but it's still a fantastic drive and something everyone should do once. If you're up for a tough walk near the end of it, find a guidebook that'll give you instructions on how to get to the blue pool. That's worth every bit of difficulty.

Explore. Don't tell your rental car company tell you that you can't go all the way around the island. You can. Just, uh, don't break the car or anything.

Maui is my most favorite vacation destination ever. If you need a tour guide, my rates are VERY reasonable. :D

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
Get off the plane with a pineapple slice around each ear.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Oh. Good advice on the sunscreen.

Dclary, first day in Maui, after a particularly long snorkel session:

smallburn.jpg

rwam

Registered
Reaction score
Take my word for it, buy "Maui Revealed: The Ultimate Guidebook". We bought the equivalent for Kauai last year and we were glad we did. You should be able to get it off Amazon and shipped to your house before you leave. Make sure you give yourself time to read it BEFORE you go. It'll rank all the beaches, luau's, etc, along with warning you which beaches are safe and which ones aren't.

I'll try to post the link here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0971727996/?tag=absolutewritedm-20

Have fun...I'm jealous!

Last edited:

plnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pnart.com
Here's what to do on Maui: Drive to the airport, get on a plane, fly to Hawaii (the Big Island) .

On the Big Island, stay at Volcano House on the rim of Kilauea; wake up in the morning and look down into the crater of a steaming volcano. Drive down to the ocean's edge and watch molten lava pouring into the sea. Then do it again and watch molten lava pouring into the sea AT NIGHT.

When you get tired of this take the observatory tour at Mauna Kea. You get driven up in a pressurized bus because the air is so thin.

Those are two experiences you will never forget in your life! From there fly to Kauai. Drive to Waimea Canyon - sometimes called the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" - except that it's one of the wettest places on earth - 466 inches of rain a year but there's so much sun there's an almost perpetual rainbow. Stay at Hanalei near Princeville - the north coast is so beautiful it's where Elvis Presly's Blue Hawaii was filmed, also Donovan's Reef (John Wayne), South Pacific, Raiders of the Lost Ark, King Kong, and several other movie classics. The surfing there is incredible. And while you're there take a Zodiac boat tour of the Na Pali coast.

... so that's what to do on Maui - use it as a jumping off point for the real Hawaii!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Here's what to do on Maui: Drive to the airport, get on a plane, fly to Hawaii (the Big Island) .

On the Big Island, stay at Volcano House on the rim of Kilauea; wake up in the morning and look down into the crater of a steaming volcano. Drive down to the ocean's edge and watch molten lava pouring into the sea. Then do it again and watch molten lava pouring into the sea AT NIGHT.

When you get tired of this take the observatory tour at Mauna Kea. You get driven up in a pressurized bus because the air is so thin.

Those are two experiences you will never forget in your life! From there fly to Kauai. Drive to Waimea Canyon - sometimes called the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific" - except that it's one of the wettest places on earth - 466 inches of rain a year but there's so much sun there's an almost perpetual rainbow. Stay at Hanalei near Princeville - the north coast is so beautiful it's where Elvis Presly's Blue Hawaii was filmed, also Donovan's Reef (John Wayne), South Pacific, Raiders of the Lost Ark, King Kong, and several other movie classics. The surfing there is incredible. And while you're there take a Zodiac boat tour of the Na Pali coast.

... so that's what to do on Maui - use it as a jumping off point for the real Hawaii!

Um. That's lame.

There's far too much to do on each island to fill a week. But that's like telling someone who asks what they should do in San Diego, "drive up to LA and see Disneyland."

RumpleTumbler

Loves Joni Mitchell
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry... The Maui Whale Conservancy Guild makes me wear one so they don't accidentally hover around me when I breach.

hahaha.....Did they put you in a plastic sub shirt for that scene in The Hunt for Red October?

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that marathoning is popular in Hawaii, but I'm not in good running shape myself right now. There's also this other thing they do, an ocean swim, a bike ride and THEN a marathon...

But definitely, since you're so close (though I really dunno how big Hawaii is), get Patricia Wood's novel "Lottery" and see if you can look her up and get her to sign it.
Dunno if you can fit this in your plans but it looks like she's in Honolulu a week from tomorrow:
http://www.patriciawoodauthor.com/eventscalendar.html
It's a fairly quick read and it now seems like months since I read it (I think it was actually 2-3 weeks ago), so ask her when the sequel's coming out.

Susan Flemming

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanflemming.com
We lived on Maui for four years, from Aug 2000 to Jun 2004.

If you like snorkelling... one great place to go is the fish sanctuary... http://www.hawaiiweb.com/maui/html/sites/ahihi-kinau_preserve.html Early in the morning is best.

Are you scuba divers? If so... I recommend Maui Dreams Dive Co. for your rentals... http://mauidreamsdiveco.com/dive/index.php The owners, Don and Rachel are the best! And they have a great staff who do guided shore dives.

If you want to go to an amazing dinner show and a modern interpretation of Hawaiian history there's Ulalena... http://www.best-luaus.com/Ulalena/

Every other weekend... there's Art in the Park under the Banyon Tree in Lahaina. Local artists display and sell their art. (This was a regular outing for us.)

Oh and favourite restaurants were:

Sansei Seafood Restaurant and Sushi Bar in South Kehei close to Foodland

Da Kitchen in Kahului serves local favourites. You won't leave hungry.

Have fun and Aloha

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
There *is* a ferry between oahu (honolulu) and maui now, but still.... for the first time visitor to hawaii, I'd recommend one island at a time. People aren't made of money, you know.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I appreciate the suggestions and concerns about sunburns. I do realize that things cost $100 a person there after checking out the activities websites.

We might be parasailing and will definitely be snorkeling and riding a zipline and four-wheelers. We have a luau picked out.

There is a copy of Maui Revealed in the condo, so we're set there.

Hana sounds interesting, so we might check that out.

And depending on where Patricia Wood is, maybe I can catch her at a signing--if she's in Maui that week. I'm not sure if my wife will let me do the "author thing" that week. Although I'll have my laptop with me, I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to work on my novel during the down time, if there is such a thing in Hawaii.

Any suggestions on sightseeing or other out of the way shops or locations?

allen

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I appreciate the suggestions and concerns about sunburns. I do realize that things cost $100 a person there after checking out the activities websites.

We might be parasailing and will definitely be snorkeling and riding a zipline and four-wheelers. We have a luau picked out.

There is a copy of Maui Revealed in the condo, so we're set there.

Hana sounds interesting, so we might check that out.

And depending on where Patricia Wood is, maybe I can catch her at a signing--if she's in Maui that week. I'm not sure if my wife will let me do the "author thing" that week. Although I'll have my laptop with me, I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to work on my novel during the down time, if there is such a thing in Hawaii.

Any suggestions on sightseeing or other out of the way shops or locations?

allen

Out of the way shops:

If you decide to do very little-known northern loop around the island

::: Interject:

Maui is shaped a little like a bean, with a small northern loop and a giant southern loop (although for some strange reason you can't *really* loop the bottom part, but that's not important.

It almost takes as long to go around the northern loop as the southern loop, because the road is narrow and winds around like crazy (here's a typical sign you'll see on the north loop)

smallroad.jpg

:::: Ok, end interject

When you get around to the most isolated place on the island, you'll find a small artist's commune with fantastic paintings and sculptures, local books about the island, all sorts of nice stuff (plus sodas after a long drive).

I don't remember the name of the place, but it's out in the open in what appears to be ranch county, and is, pretty much, the only storefront you'll see in hours, so it should be findable.

Also, for isolated, but historical neat things to do... If you go to Hana, and leave early enough to to the loop around the island, 8 miles past is the gravesite and a memorial to Charles Lindbergh, if you're into that kind of thing.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I've only been to Kauai, but I can tell you that I am not much of a touristy kind of person and totally enjoyed just exploring the island on my own, exploring caves, kayaking, snorkeling, and taking a guided bike ride. We never once did a luau. (Too expensive!)

We were there for the 4th of July and loved watching the local resort send fireworks over the ocean.

Keep in mind, island life is slow and relaxing. Just take it easy and enjoy your surroundings!

:e2fish:

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
I'm in love w/ Kauai :D Going back in May and can't wait. It's true about it being slow and that's what I love the most. Just snorkel and swim and do what you feel like. Enjoy the pace, Allen and the fragrance. There's nothing like it.

If you're a seafood lover, than you'll definitely be in heaven.