BBC History and History Today magazines - pay rates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

doeraymee

Registered
Reaction score
I posted this in the freelance writing section but didn't get any reply, so thought I'd try here. Does anyone know what either of these UK magazines pay? I have an idea that would suit both and would like to pitch to the higher-paying one first (soon! as it's a time-sensitive topic) but can't find pay rates for either of them (their guidelines, which I have examined, do not provide rates).
BBC's circulation is 55,000 and History Today is around 26,000 so I'm thinking that MAYBE the BBC one pays more. But this is not always the case. Some higher circ mags pay peanuts.
Thanks in advance.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Hate to say it...

but it will be by negotiation according to your experience.

Both have a good rep and are worth having on your CV
The BeeB will give you more exposure I think.

doeraymee

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Pdr. So you've written for them? Mind me asking if you know what the "range" was?
I just got this info on the travelwriters.com forum: BBC History main articles used to pay £250 but I believe they have reviewed this within the last year.
Also History Today aparently pays less.
So I guess it's BBC first.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Nope!

The Beeb turned my queries down but at least I actually received replies. Usually they don't respond if they aren't interested.
Problem is they have so many known experts writing for them you really have to be original to make the editors take you on if you don't have a string of history qualifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.