what kinds of short stories do best?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gp101

Maybe I watch too many movies or read too many mainstream novels, but I just don't get the short stories in the big literary magazines, primarily Atlantic Monthly and New Yorker. I've subscribed to one or both for most of the past ten years, and I'd say for every 10 short stories I'd read, I'd find half interesting, maybe 3 or 4 that I thought were particularly well-written and still kept my interest, but only one that would make me say "wow, wish I wrote that!"

Of the other half of those ten stories, I'd say most were a chore to finish.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I honestly just want to know if there are a lot of you who enjoy reading or writing stories concentrating more on description and mental anguish over plot or humorous characters. Can't say I've paid attention to many of the authors' names so I don't know if it's a small world of writers who keep scoring with these mags or if there are a lot of you out there.

Are there mags out there that print mainstream stories?

Jamesaritchie

short stories

As a rule, I love almost all the fiction in The Atlantic Monthly, and probably 80% of the fiction in The New Yorker.

I don't know what you mean by mags that print mainstream stories? The New Yorker and The Atlantic Monthly are both considered the top mainstream magazines in the country. Just what kind of stories are you talking about?

gp101

re

The short stories in them are often referred to as "literary" writing. Lots of wonderful description--sometimes way too much description--and a lot of emotional turmoil and 1st-person ruminations.

Am I wrong in saying those are the types of stories those two particular mags look for? And yes, other than that, those mags are pretty mainstream, though left-leaning, still enjoyable.

I miss short stories that had the above mentioned AND a plot with big stakes, like Edgar Allen Poe's stuff. Are there writers of short stories like this in today's mags? Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

reph

Re: re

For stories where plot is a bigger attraction, try magazines that specialize in genre fiction, such as mystery, horror, science fiction, and fantasy.

stormie267

Mags

For magazines that carry stories that are not as literary as The New Yorker or Atlantic Monthly, you can try Short Stuff for Grownups, which carries stories of all genre. I like reading Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine, (and I'm really not a mystery buff). Also, look up magazines on ralan.com. Good site.

--Anne--

mlvalent

I agree

I agree that the both the New Yorker and the Atlantic Monthly can be difficult to get through. Both magazines are too conservative for my tastes.

If you are looking for literary fiction that is progressive, try picking up anything labeled "postmodern" or, in some cases, "contemporary."

You had mentioned Poe. If you enjoy his work, you may want to pick up H.P. Lovecraft. Published posthumously, Lovecraft is the inspiration for many modern-day horror authors and filmmakers. Currently, I am reading a work entitled, "Return to Lovecraft Country." The book was written by a number of authors who were inspired by the Lovecraft universe.

I would also suggest picking up anthologies in the genre you are interested in.

Sincerely,

Monica Valentinelli
Arts and Entertainment Moderator
www.flamesrising.com
What are you afraid of?

Jamesaritchie

conservative!?!

The New Yorker is considered the most liberal, leftist mainstream magazine in the country. The Atlantic Monthly isn't far behind it. Too conservative!?!? Are you sure you've read these mags?

I love the fiction in these magazines, but both are so far left and so liberal I'd have a fit if I tried to read the articles.

mlvalent

Conservative word choice

Hi,

Thank you for pointing out my poor choice of words.

By "conservative" I meant that I feel the writing style is conservative, not the content.

Sincerely,

Monica Valentinelli
Arts and Entertainment Moderator
www.flamesrising.com
What are you afraid of?

HollyB

Mags

Just to add my 2c, I love Asimov's -- great writing, great stories, very engaging material.

Fresie

Re: Mags

Are there mags out there that print mainstream stories?

I have a funny feeling that by "mainstream" here you mean lighter, simpler stories of the kind that, for example, many British (don't know about American) women's weeklies publish. I'd say they're the opposite of what gets published in New Yorker. :) Very simple, down-to-earth, plot-oriented, the writing is good but invisible -- straightforward stories with the inevitable sting in the tail. They're not worse or better, they're just different. Probably, that's the kind you mean, but I don't think I've come across any American markets for this sort of thing. Disposable stories: you read the mag and then leave it behind on the train or at the dentist's or wherever and forget you've ever read the story (nothing much to remember, anyway).

There seems to be quite a market in the UK for this sort of thing, and some women's weeklies actively seek contributors issuing quarterly editions of "our readers' prose" (which pays quite well). Repeat, I just don't know if there's something similar in the USA. But if you want to write this kind of "disposable stories", such mags might be a place to start--and definitely to learn how to write this kind of stories!--like Woman's Own, Woman's Weekly, Woman, etc. Probably, that's what you mean. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

gp101

re

"Disposable stories: you read the mag and then leave it behind on the train or at the dentist's or wherever and forget you've ever read the story (nothing much to remember, anyway)."

Actually, that's exactly how I feel about the stories in New Yorker and AM.

Jamesaritchie

stories

Well, I wouldn't say the writing style is conservative, either. Few magazine have a wider and more diverse group of writers than The New Yorker and The Atlantic Monthly. Or better writers, in my opinion. It's difficult to think of many really famous writers who haven't appeared in their pages. Some of Stephen King's best writing has been in The New Yorker, and it's real tough finding better writers than Joyce Carol Oates, John Updike, James Thurber, etc. I'm not sure there is a famous mainstream or literary writer who hasn't had stories in both magazines.

But if anyone wants to know which magazines publish what stories, a genre has to be defined. SF, fantasy, mystery, juvenile, women's, etc., all have their magazines.

pixie juice

Re: stories

I've personally never read The NewYorker or The Atlantic Monthly, so I can't speak on the content of their stories, but maybe the kind of fiction you're looking for is more eclectic???

I really like Zoetrope All-Story. They always have beautifully written stuff, amazing characters, and the story is anything but "disposable". I don't think I've ever forgotten a single one I've read. But Zoetrope is also classed as "literary fiction".

I think I know what you mean though. Not conservative, but dense, maybe. Very character-driven, and character-driven is definately not for everyone.

I guess it really boils down to the single magazine. You could read two "mainstream literary journals", and they could be completely different. Each editor and audience has their own tastes that they have to stick by.

So, read until you find the ones you like. And, I guess, don't worry about the rest of them.

Jamesaritchie

Zoetrope

Zoetrope is very good, but it's also pretty much indentical the The New Yorker fiction and to The Atlantic Monthly fiction. All three are great sources for literary fiction.

Som ereader sjust don;t like literary fiction. Personally, I think the fiction is The New York and The Atlantic Monthly is the best of the best, and there's nothing disposable about any of it. These are the stories that will still be read many years from now.

FEMazur

Re: Zoetrope

It's been quite a while since I read an issue of the New Yorker, but the Atlantic (as it now calls itself because it is no longer a monthly) has been arriving at my house for much more than a decade. I still wouldn't label it as liberal, although neither is it anywhere near the other end. What it is—and the reason I keep renewing my subscription—is a publication that offers fresh and in-depth views on many issues. Not the same old tripe you often find in many other pubs. As for the short stories, many I like, others are just so-so. If you're looking for epiphany, you're not likely to find it in most literary pieces. If you're looking for surprise, that too may not appear very often. But if you like character and, in many cases, subtle relationships which bare similarities to your own, then you might enjoy Atlantic stories. Also, some of the stories are worthy of study because of the craft involved. A recent issue carried a Dennis Lehane story. It is written entirely in the 2nd person.

pdr

Readable contemporary short stories

If you want a good post modern read try www.literal-latte.com and see what you think of this New York mag's fiction

Look at the UK mags: Quality Women's Fiction (qwfmagazine.co.uk) and Cadenza (www.cadenza-magazine.co.uk and see if their fiction is more to your liking. Their editors demand a plot as well as good literary writing.

Many of your American Universities have literary fiction magazines (check out the University web sites) and a lot of them are full of good contemporary stories that you can read without mental indigestion! Also have you looked at www.carvezine.com where the prize winners of the annual short story comp are posted? That's a terrific read. The comp's worth entering too.

Check out the Canadian university literaries, my favourites, they publish some stunning quality magazines with great readable fiction.
Happy Reading

NickolausPacione

Re: Readable contemporary short stories

The genre that lends itself best in the short story form is Horror because you can be as dark as you want and if you can keep the story within the 4 to 20 page range you got them.

vegiboy99

Someone commented that the New Yorker and AM publish more diverse fiction than anywhere else. But aren't these magazines, and others, often accused of only printing a certain type of fiction that will appeal to their readers? Therefore, might they not construct a certain 'style' that everyone strives to emulate, for better or for worse? Though high in quality, one could argue they are the Abercrombie and Fitch of short fiction.

Perhaps this is why someone considers their fiction 'conservative' and is looking for more progressive or exporatory styles.

Also, I thought the New Yorker had been shying away from short fiction at one point. I'm not sure what their current trend is.

Zoetrope sounds interesting--any other suggestions? I have picked up random university literary journals. Most have seemed only average.

Jeff

acetachyon

Don't forget...

Don't forget--Playboy also publishes fiction.

Despite being considered by many as simply a "skin mag," it features stories by some of the top names out there (T.C. Boyle, Chuck Palahniuk, Paul Theroux, Joyce Carol Oates, Lawrence Block, Ray Bradbury, Stephen King, etc.)

Jamesaritchie

No, The New Yorker isn't shying away from short fiction, though they don't publish quite as much as they used to publish. They have cut back drastically on short fiction that doesn't come from agents. But they are a weekly, so still publish a lot of short stories.

All magazines look for fiction of a certain style that will appeal to the readers of that particular magazine. There's no reason The New Yorker on AM should be any different.

But I find the fiction in both to be very diverse in both content and style.

But the only reason any editor ever buys a story of any sort is because he believes the style and content of that story will appeal to the readers of his magazine.

This doesn't mean all the stories must have the same style or the same content, writers of the quality you find in The New Yorker and AM certainly aren't going to change their style to make a sale, and don't have to, it just means an editor always asks, "Who are my readers, and will most of them like this story?"

As for what stories do best, if this means what stories have the most markets, it's literary fiction by a huge margin, primarily because of all the college literary magazines. Next comes science fiction and fantasy. Then comes mystery, and then horror.

I really don;t understand why mystery short stories fall so low. Mystery novels are extremly popular, the second most popular reading by a very, very wide margin.

For whatever reason, short horror fiction never has done very well, unless it was also literary in nature. There just aren't many paying markets. Even at novel length, there are seldom more than three to five horror novelists who can actually earn a living from writing horror at any one time.

Writing Again

Unless the New Yorker has changed a lot since I last read it the word "conservative" does not fit in any fashion. Nor is liberal really correct. I would call it "Eclectic."

The magazine is aimed at the "Person About Town", or those who picture themselves in that role, in New York City: This person is socially astute, politically aware, artistically knowledgeable; They do not have to be rich but they do need enough time, interest, and disposable income to venture out into the city's most interesting offerings at least once a month.

Surprizingly some of the poorest of people fall into this group because so many of these things can be enjoyed at little to no cost.

This person can and will talk about Shakespeare and Stephen King in the same breath; has seen the movie and the play and has read the reviews.

A lot of the allusions in the New Yorker are "in groupie" because they more or less assume the reader knows where the art galleries are, whats in them; which plays are running off Broadway, who is in them; Has been to the zoo, and the museum and knows their latest interesting acquisition; knows who is in which political office, and chuckles at their most outrageous quirks.

What is amazing is how many native New Yorkers have never been to these places, have little knowledge of them, and do not care.

What is interesting is that (So far as I know) it is the only magazine of its kind and people all over the world enjoy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.