PDA

View Full Version : E-mail options

Arisa81
09-14-2007, 10:57 PM
Okay, so I went into my hotmail acount yesterday only to be forced into the new windows live hotmail...can I just say yuck! Not only do I find the whole thing quite ugly, but I prefer to have my e-mails listed oldest at the top, newest at the bottom. Impossible with this one. I change it and the next time I go to my inbox it has reverted right back. This is not an e-mail account I think I can live with.

I have a google account, which I've never actually used. I've just held onto it in case I ever needed it. I am seriously thinking of switching over.

What a hassle this is going to be if I decide to switch, I've been using my hotmail address for about 6 years now. How, as freelancers, do we possibly get our new address out to everyone? Of course for people we work with regularly, no problem. E-mail them and let them know. I know I will have to hold onto my hotmail address for quite a while before things settle.

A couple questions for you:
1. Your favourite e-mail provider
2. Tips on switching over as gracefully as possible, if you've in fact had to do this before.

KTC
09-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Oh no. You were forced! I keep ignoring it...I like hotmail the way it is and my son has the Live one and I hate it. I was hoping I wouldn't one day be forced. Don't tell me it's so!

Arisa81
09-14-2007, 11:02 PM
I was ignoring it too...and then yesterday....:(
I actually had tried it before and they allowed you to switch back, but I don't see that option anymore. I should look harder, in case.

KTC
09-14-2007, 11:03 PM
I hope you do find it. Live is horrid.

DamaNegra
09-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Actually, gmail has an option to redirect all the mails that arrive at another account towards your gmail accound, so you'd still be able to use your hotmail account through the gmail interface. I'm... not sure how it works, and I think this topic would be better off in the tech board.

JoNightshade
09-14-2007, 11:04 PM
All of you will eventually see the error of your ways and come to gmail. ;)

Arisa81
09-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Live is horrid. And I can't find an option to go back. Yuckies.

I will likely end up switching over to gmail. A friend of mine had one of her accounts changed to live, but the other hasn't yet.

Anonymisty
09-14-2007, 11:06 PM
A couple questions for you:
1. Your favourite e-mail provider
2. Tips on switching over as gracefully as possible, if you've in fact had to do this before.

1. Madly in love with GMail, me. I can search and find old messages, make lots of folders to keep them in, and even keep current copies of my WIPs.

2. Ah, I just went to every site I thought needed the new email and made the changes, and sent everyone in my old address book a new email from the new address to alert them. You'll still discover, however, two months after changing, some site or account you forgot. It's the nature of the beast. :D

Writer14
09-14-2007, 11:07 PM
My favorite email providers are Gmail & Yahoo.
=]
I absolutely hate MSN -shivers-

KTC
09-14-2007, 11:07 PM
I hate yahoo.

jennifer75
09-14-2007, 11:09 PM
It is horrible. Shame on them for ever changing.

jennifer75
09-14-2007, 11:10 PM
I hate yahoo.
Yahoo email is a joke. Gmail is quite annoying as well.

Writer14
09-14-2007, 11:10 PM
only reason I keep the yahoo one is because literally everything possible goes to that one. -.-

my gmail is my email for anything & everything writing related. & for my more loved friends xD

Arisa81
09-14-2007, 11:11 PM
Yahoo is definitely not an option. Don't like that one either

KTC
09-14-2007, 11:13 PM
My hotmail is 1024mb of free storage...I never want to change.

Arisa81
09-14-2007, 11:15 PM
I can't even look at my inbox anymore. It's so awful.

For the people who don't like gmail...why not? I'd love to hear both sides.

Shady Lane
09-14-2007, 11:15 PM
Gmail is amazing because:

a. It's easy to access from any computer.
b. It refreshes automatically
c. It has this little instant messenger thing that I totally don't know how to use, but I use it to talk to Jonightshade at strange hours. GET GMAIL AND YOU CAN TALK TO JONIGHTSHADE AT STRANGE HOURS.

DamaNegra
09-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Gmail lets you access other mail accounts from other servers from within the gmail interface. I recieve mails from other accounts to my gmail and can even send mails from those other accounds from my gmail. Worth checking out.

Jamesaritchie
09-14-2007, 11:31 PM
There isn't enough money in the world to make me use Hotmail for anything remotely related to writing, business, or sending to anyone who matters. Well, maybe there's just barely enough money in the world, but that's it.

And Yahoo is just as amateurish.

I prefer Outlook, but Thunderbird is also good. And Gmail is a great choice for anyone. In fact, I use Gmail through Outlook as my business e-mail.

And doesn't your internet provider provide e-mail?

Jamesaritchie
09-14-2007, 11:34 PM
My hotmail is 1024mb of free storage...I never want to change.

Gmail offers almost three times as much free storage, and it increases every year. And without all the crap that Hotmail throws at you.

Siddow
09-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Gmail!

I have 1500 saved emails, and I'm only using 1% of my storage.

I love being able to apply labels to my mail. I want to look at the past year's Lunch Weekly? One click, and they're all right there. Important messages from my listservs? Zing! I can pull up my submissions, my personal correspondence, my critiques...

I love gmail.

Arisa81
09-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Gmail sounds/looks great. Now if they go changing on me, I will not be a happy camper :tongue

tjwriter
09-14-2007, 11:49 PM
Most of the newer email programs allow you to sort at one click of your mouse, two tops, so working around it should not be that be a deal.

However, if you hate it for other reasons, then by all means change.

I use AT&T Yahoo DSL, and it serves my purposes just fine.

KTC
09-14-2007, 11:55 PM
I have a g mail account. I hated it...I haven't logged into it in years.

Arisa81
09-14-2007, 11:59 PM
My only little issue with gmail is that I don't think I can switch which way my e-mails appear in my inbox (ie. newest at the bottom). I guess I can get used to that. I am so mad at hotmail. I loved the way it was.

Writer14
09-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Wait...has gmail really been around for...'years'? @_@

Deirdre
09-15-2007, 12:06 AM
I actually can't stand gmail.

Even when I sort things so they go immediately into archives (to fake out having separate mailboxes), my mail isn't sorted that way if I choose to pull it down on my iPhone.

Deirdre
09-15-2007, 12:08 AM
My oldest gmail mail is from September 2005, so that qualifies as a plural number of years.

Jamesaritchie
09-15-2007, 12:08 AM

Yes. Not many, but yes. And anything on earth is better than Hotmail. I can't tell you how many people I know who have anything that comes from Hotmail automatically deleted.

Arisa81
09-15-2007, 01:32 AM
Well, I didn't realize this, but you can't create actual folders in gmail? Now I'm not sure which way to go, lol. Oh why did hotmail have to do this...

Anonymisty
09-15-2007, 03:55 AM
Well, I didn't realize this, but you can't create actual folders in gmail?

Sure you can! At the top, click on "More actions", then click "new label" and follow the steps.