Pay Attention-No More PA Attention

alexandra6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hauntingholzer.com
Good Day,

After countless threads, posts and blogs on outing the POD Publisher, Publish America, many have veered away from their destructive path.

However, if you are one of them, you know what? It's ok. Really. As much as it would be gloriously perfect to land our first title at an S&S or B&N, it is less then more that these situations occur. That is why many authors question on whether or not to acquire an agent.

To be represented or Not to be...that is the question. Mainly because like myself, I didn't do enough research on them when the now famous e-mail came through my computer.

You know what? That's still ok. Really. This was my lesson to learn and my cross to bare. But, to be negative and constantly re-hash the mishap that occurred, would be a waste of time, energy and focus on moving forward.

It is not to say my first novel stinks, because you know what? It really doesn't. Really. Yup, some typo's...again my lesson to learn and others have learned through wonderful threads and forums such as AW. Thank you to them as they are like the internet literary police!

It's not only PA, but many outfits out there need to be researched before leaping into the publishing waters. As with anything in life, one must weigh what options they have. Some have more then others.

I tried B&N solely based on the fact that they have housed 5 plus decades of my father's titles. They couldn't have been less of a help. I have connections to a re-print editor there and my father's editor for non-fiction.
I dealt with the head of small vendors and press release in reviewing my PA book. She said I maybe the exception to the POD rule. Why? Not just because of my father. But because I was marketing myself way before the first book came out and kept on it. I also kept her in the loop via e-mail as she always thanked me for updating her.

I knew they would say no to shelving the book. In the end, very few exceptions are made with rules when your an unknown or have very little connections. Then, I learned, that many traditionally published books don't get shelved either, but stand a better chance of coarse in doing so. I kept researching and learning. I love my first book because the cover art is awesome and I had many sleepless nights in that process, as a former graphic designer. After learning about PA, I worsened throughout the process of completing the book.

My experience there was good because the editor was always polite and interested in my upcoming radio shows. I can't say anything negative there.

The designer, well my impression was she was young and although talented, not very good at client/designer communication. This I know because I use to be her, only worked in reputable companies in NYC.

I got angry then tired of feeling scared that no-one would purchase my Lady Ambrosia. Now what? Wasn't that the whole point? Witness the fruits of my labor soar to top literary heights? Another life lesson learned.

I became proud of my accomplishment regardless and no, I wouldn't recommend PA to anyone. I also wouldn't recommend going the way of POD for the first time if you want to play the game and receive literary validation. It will take longer and more thick skin needed, but in the end, the choice is ultimately up to the new author.

Traditional Vs. POD is an on-going debate and some are better then others on both sides of the publishing fence.

Research, have patience and don't ever question yourself. Your good, you know your good and if you keep at it, other's well connected will know it to.

Don't think to much. Just create and re-create until polished. Gather your well researched list of who you want to query and then go for it. Then, let it go and go on with your life. If it is meant to be, it will. Follow up, follow up and follow up.

Life is meant to be lived and enjoyed. Market yourself whether you have an agent or not. Only you know yourself best. Stay healthy and on top of your game and don't worry about what others are doing. Take from them what you will, but you make your own life path and choices at the end of the writing day!

I wish everyone luck and health.

Best,

Author, Alexandra Holzer
http://www.hauntingholzer.com

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um -- I don't think this belongs in the Stories of Strength forum. I'm moving it to the PA forum.

alexandra6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hauntingholzer.com
Thank You

We share another common bond, alexandra6. And you're absolutely right.

Thank you. I would hope that more and more authors of this generation will become more savvy in their research because it is a different world out there for publishing.

When my father began his legacy, traditional was it. Now, to be a new author in today's publishing standards, you have traditional, POD and more and more people are simply writing better. You have workshops, better institutions and sites like this one.

As one is armed better, one is also brushing up against larger competition.

Now more then ever, one must be as sharp as a tack.

Believe me, I am not thrilled with my choice, but nonetheless, I can either go on and grip about it like crying over spilled milk. Or, I can turn it around, find a positive. I am proud of my work and PA or anyone for that matter, can't take that away.

And so, I forge ahead looking for brighter spots towards writing and coping in a changing industry. I will adapt and play the game but I refuse to cow-tow my thoughts, opinions and experiences to have many like or dislike me. I am genuine and by putting myself out there, accept the good with the bad with the comments that are posted.

I still will wish everyone a good day.

My very best to you!

Alexandra

alexandra6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hauntingholzer.com
Your Right...Done!

You're right, it's okay. Now go out and write a new, different, better book and sell it to somewhere real.

Thank you and on with the show. You know what? If I make it in the entertainment industry, I am going back to these roots and pluck out a bunch of PA authors and revive them as then, I could through good connections. Only those who want it of coarse.

Best to you!

Alexandra

alexandra6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hauntingholzer.com
Thank you!

Welcome to the cooler alexandra6, it's always nice to see another PA author on the cooler.

It is nice to be here. PA is the most popular no-no in POD publishing which I assume goes hand in hand with Vanity Presses. Look, I am proud that I was able to learn from this experinece and not come away bitter.

I am on this thread to help those not be bitter. IMO it is senseless, a waste of talented energy and to support my fellow PA authors, I am going to read your books...slowly but I will get there.

Why not? It's not about the money, even with traditional as it can take years to build up a fan base. But, this is certainly not the route to take to be taken seriously sadly enough. It doesn't mean all PA authors suck and really it is PA who sucks!

There are poorly written books everywhere, and yes, in traditional as well. PA has received so much attention that it black lists you and your work, regardless if it is a good piece of story telling. I am pulling myself up through their sneaky slush pile to take a breath and say, it's ok.

I'd rather go through that experience then be told by my doctor I have Cancer. Ya know? Placing it all in perspective yet understanding what has happened at the same time. Tricky...but not impossible.

So, that is why I say on with the show as I wish everyone well on their next piece of writing.

That's all folks!

Best to you!

Alexandra

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
Thanks and my very best to you! Here are my word pet peeves list:

1) Course vs coarse

2) Then vs than

3) Its vs it's

4) Too vs to

5) To fragment or not to fragment

Anyone else have more to add to this list?

Thank you.

Alexandra

"loose" when it should be "lose"

I have a monthly column in an e-zine called Fiction Fix. In July, I did a piece called "Grammatical Griping," which can be found here:

http://www.coffeehouseforwriters.com/fictionfix/0707 Grossack.html

It covers my pet peeves (and also, why people make some of the mistakes they make). In August I wrote a companion piece, called "Grammatical Groping" - this goes over areas where the language has, IMO, been evolving and where there is currently no single correct answer to how something should be written:

http://www.coffeehouseforwriters.com/fictionfix/0708 Grossack.html

alexandra6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hauntingholzer.com
"loose" when it should be "lose"

I have a monthly column in an e-zine called Fiction Fix. In July, I did a piece called "Grammatical Griping," which can be found here:

http://www.coffeehouseforwriters.com/fictionfix/0707 Grossack.html

It covers my pet peeves (and also, why people make some of the mistakes they make). In August I wrote a companion piece, called "Grammatical Groping" - this goes over areas where the language has, IMO, been evolving and where there is currently no single correct answer to how something should be written:

http://www.coffeehouseforwriters.com/fictionfix/0708 Grossack.html

Awesome links! I am glad you pointed that out, aside from your addition to my list of grammatical pet peeves. The way I write, and the new words that have formed over time, do not have a place yet like the new digital technology of printing.

Thus, creating further confusion and ruler smacking lessons when one writes. I really appreciate your comment to this thread and would hope more can come out and tell me about new words and sentences they have come across.

When was the last time the english dictionary was updated, how often and is there any other dictionaries, on-line or in print that have begun to include a new generation of words? Many of which I have found on popular gossip sites for the entertainment industry. Is nonsensical a word?

In any event, I look forward to your column. I am going to print it out and use it as my guide. If it is not in front of my nose, I will not learn properly as I have many distractions around me. I thank you for your site!

Be well.

Alexandra
http://www.hauntingholzer.com

scully931

So you're suggesting what? Bigfoot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paragonstudios.org
While it's true most people's bone to pick is with PA and not its authors, I liken it to buying a kitten or puppy in a pet store instead of adopting one from a shelter. It is not that dog or cat's fault that it was bred. And yes, purchasing it will give it a better life. However, you are supporting things such as puppy mills, etc. It may be difficult not to help that one dog or cat. But, avoiding it for a shelter adoption helps the problem in the long run, which helps more dogs and cats in the long run.

alexandra6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hauntingholzer.com
While it's true most people's bone to pick is with PA and not its authors, I liken it to buying a kitten or puppy in a pet store instead of adopting one from a shelter. It is not that dog or cat's fault that it was bred. And yes, purchasing it will give it a better life. However, you are supporting things such as puppy mills, etc. It may be difficult not to help that one dog or cat. But, avoiding it for a shelter adoption helps the problem in the long run, which helps more dogs and cats in the long run.

What I support or do not support is not my point here, nor do I go into that as that would be like getting into a political debate. I am proud regardless and that is my right and cannot be challenged. I am an individual with the right to feel, think, talk, believe, like or dislike and everything I am about is the positives at the end of one's day.

I am not hiding the fact that my first book was with PA and I am not harping on it either. I am neutral and I was disappointed after learning then turned it around and am going on with my next projects. There are problems everywhere my friend and this is just past the point of enough is enough. There are good authors there as well as there are not so good, and you know what? Traditional carries those too!

This is not a war and as for my threads, I am upfront in my thoughts and ways and hide nothing. I am here to be supportive and pleasant. I think forewarning threads are needed followed by experiences. But to extend past that point where people just want to bash because there angry, is not my forum. While it maybe for others, as I respect their rights, it is simply not for me and ask that my rights are respected in return.

On that note, have a nice day!

Best,

Alexandra

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com

This is not a war and as for my threads, I am upfront in my thoughts and ways and hide nothing. I am here to be supportive and pleasant. I think forewarning threads are needed followed by experiences. But to extend past that point where people just want to bash because there angry, is not my forum. While it maybe for others, as I respect their rights, it is simply not for me and ask that my rights are respected in return.

This is a war. PA has attacked authors and others who had nothing whatsoever to do with it. Some never even expressed an opinion against it. PA's attacks have been unprovoked and unjustified in their instances, so it is a war. PA made it so.

You may be supportive and pleasant all you want. That doesn't change the nature of the beast that is PublishAmerica. It's a business that operates in a criminal manner. Supporting its authors by purchasing their books from PA only supports PA because we already know for a fact that PA often fails to pay royalties. Thus the proceeds don't go toward helping your fellow authors, some of whom may be very good writers. It only supports PA so that it can remain in operation and fleece others.

If you don't understand that, then put it in a different context. Would you be so neutral if PA regularly went out into neighborhoods and robbed people? Would you merely say that's bad and I'm neutral? No, you'd be up in arms demanding that the authorities do something. Well, that's what we're doing. We're demanding that something be done and we're warning everyone possible about PA's activities. The proof has already been provided. You're a witness yourself.

So if you want to participate here, that's fine, but don't ask us to adjust our outrage to suit your sensitivities.

Little Red Barn

haz own threads
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a war. PA has attacked authors and others who had nothing whatsoever to do with it. Some never even expressed an opinion against it. PA's attacks have been unprovoked and unjustified in their instances, so it is a war. PA made it so.

You may be supportive and pleasant all you want. That doesn't change the nature of the beast that is PublishAmerica. It's a business that operates in a criminal manner. Supporting its authors by purchasing their books from PA only supports PA because we already know for a fact that PA often fails to pay royalties. Thus the proceeds don't go toward helping your fellow authors, some of whom may be very good writers. It only supports PA so that it can remain in operation and fleece others.

If you don't understand that, then put it in a different context. Would you be so neutral if PA regularly went out into neighborhoods and robbed people? Would you merely say that's bad and I'm neutral? No, you'd be up in arms demanding that the authorities do something. Well, that's what we're doing. We're demanding that something be done and we're warning everyone possible about PA's activities. The proof has already been provided. You're a witness yourself.

So if you want to participate here, that's fine, but don't ask us to adjust our outrage to suit your sensitivities.
Dave, question please, why can't a big atty come in and sue PA? Would this help stop them? I'm guessing they take your books and hold rights :shrugs:??? Is that the big picture.?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
switzerland

i really would like to be switzerland in this pa thing, but dave has a point. some of the pa authors are vulnerable enough to soften even my stony heart. they are easy prey and not the types to thank us for their rescue. the idea of fighting pa legally does not apply to me. i had the "luck" or "common good sense"--(your choice) to back off. a legal battle does not appeal to me, either. i have my own work to agonize over. and face it, no one knows the law better than scammers. does anyone have any ideas that do not involve a legal battle?--s6

alexandra6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hauntingholzer.com

I have a right to my opinion which is the point of any thread anyone would write or respond to. Thanks for allowing me to be supportive and pleasant all I want. It is so very kind of you. I understand as I am not a child, thanks again there as well. I know what I want to write about when I post. I have not asked anyone here since joining only a few days ago to buy my book or even me.

I could care less and to assume you know what is in my mind, and that I demand anything is really funny and just plain presumptuous. Oh yes, forgive me as I say it is better to be positive then negative after the fact, as it isn't constructive. Silly me, let's be negative and harp shall we? Yes, that makes for better coping skills as adults. What a good example for our children.

Go answer the questions below on beating this war on PA being that seems to be your demand. I know what I can and can't do and hiring a lawyer isn't in my realm of possibilities. Do you even know if I have written letters and called etc.? No, you don't so back up the truck and chill out my friend. More power to you if you have all the correct, sensible, logical and useful answers to win this PA war. You should be the ring leader then as I applaud you. Obviously you have the means and know how to get the job done to put them out of business. I am for that if you want to ask for a petition or have all of us PA authors write a letter to the right address, I am there!

Yes, I am a participant here as it is my right and I am an author regardless of PA or not. I don't ask anything of anyone here, I don't even know you or the others. What I do know is a respectful commentator and one who can respect others threads without getting, let me use the new word I learned here, 'snarky.'

And my sensitivities? Being positive means having a better outlook on things that may be difficult in order to cope and move on. Healthy I believe is the referred term nowadays. If your putting that down, along with me with your remark, then I feel bad for you. Go fight your war. I am not defending PA and if I was, that would also my right, as you can see there are those here who can still welcome without being obnoxious.

I am cautious in what I say and how I say it. I may not be perfect with grammar but I get my point across without a political agenda which you can have on your own. If you have nothing encouraging and helpful to say at least with me, then please simply don't respond. You don't have to like what people say. If it is constructive and written in a respectful way, you will get a better response and understanding of your point on any topic.

You know the old saying, if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all? If I am too 'sensitive' for you, then read and move on.

Have a nice day!

Best,

Alexandra

alexandra6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hauntingholzer.com
Tell you what..David. You can be the PA fighter and we'll follow you and I can be the PA author supporter as I think PA shouldn't be allowed to strip the creative and talented innards from us as well as our pockets, non?

See, it's not one way here. There is the author who didn't deserve the deceit and treatments when PA was ever questioned, and I am trying to help repair their creative and talented innards to move on and get a better chance at their next piece of work. That will help better reflect a stronger and smarter attitude in their next challenge.

If you can't understand that, well then my friend I am truly at a loss for words. And THAT never happens! Work for you?

Have a nice day!

Best,

Alexandra

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Thanks and my very best to you! Here are my word pet peeves list:

1) Course vs coarse

2) Then vs than

3) Its vs it's

4) Too vs to

5) To fragment or not to fragment

Anyone else have more to add to this list?

Thank you.

Alexandra

you're vs. your

Your good, you know your good and if you keep at it, other's well connected will know it to.

alexandra6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.hauntingholzer.com
Good One!

you're vs. your

I am taking notes and forming a list to print out and make myself use it until it is embedded into my sleep deprived brain.

I see you quoted one of my past posts which is a positive phrase. That is very encouraging as I hope more will calm down and either help change things constructively, share respectfully or move on and let us know how they are doing.

I am curious of the new words out there that perhaps are not recognized in the dictionary.

Ahh, the word recognized vs recognised? Or, is the 's' used in the UK and other European countries?

Best,

Alexandra

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
...as I hope more will calm down and either help change things constructively, share respectfully or move on and let us know how they are doing.
As you probably noticed, this is a PA forum and I doubt many of us are going to "calm down" and "move on." There is, and has been, enormous efforts and constructive activities geared to publicizing the unethical and misleading schemes of PublishAmerica. We are not here to be "nice," we are not here to bolster sagging egos. The point of this forum is to inform and to seek legal means to put PA out of business. Perhaps if you spend some more time reading the threads instead of attacking one of the foremost scam busters, you will gain a more comprehensive understanding as to what this forum is all about.

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Dave, question please, why can't a big atty come in and sue PA? Would this help stop them?

Unfortunately, no, Kimmi. It wouldn't. The problem that authors come into when they sign with PA is that they've entered a business relationship where the author IS a business. They stop being an individual the moment they sell the product from their mind. So the laws that apply aren't the ones that apply to a company versus a regular consumer. Instead, the laws are the ones related to company disputes, and those laws aren't geared toward individuals. A higher standard of "understanding" of contracts applies so the author loses.

I'm guessing they take your books and hold rights :shrugs:??? Is that the big picture.?[/

Mostly, they don't make the books available to the public so that the public can find them easily. When the author realizes that readers can't find the books, or can't get them because bookstores won't/can't order them, then the author can't remove the book and move it to a different publisher for seven years--or even longer if the author doesn't follow the contract requirements to end the contract to the letter. The PA contract renews every seven years like clockwork unless the author calls it off in a very specific manner.

I do wish you well, BTW, alexandra6. But I would encourage you to reconsider your neutrality toward the business practices of PA. Silence is akin to approval in today's internet world and without voices of protest every single day, the content drops down on Google/Yahoo/etc. searches. PA pays for their ranking, so every new victim will see it before any warnings if too many people remain silent. :(

Last edited:

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Welcome Alexandra!
Oooo, the 'loose/lose' thing bugs me to no end! It's crazy how many people don't know the difference.

Anyway, PA has threatened to sue me for speaking my mind on this board. I have never been one of their authors. Never. They've send fake cops to other people's houses, and done much worse.

I've met others like you, though - 'it didn't happen to me, so why should I be upset?'. Because it COULD happen to you. They could start sending nasty e-mails demanding apologies if you question them. They could just refuse to reply at all, or still sell your book after they've returned the rights, or a dozen other things.

It could be you one day.

And I'm all for supporting the authors who want it. But I've met some who are very stubborn, very unwavering and very unable or unwilling to listen when someone mentions any of PA's flaws. And I've met some who are perfectly happy - that works for them. Works for me too, except that they keep bringing in more people, recommending PA to everyone, never mentioning the lack of editing, the introduction of NEW errors to their manuscript, or the high cover prices and almost impossibility of getting a book onto the shelves of any store. The PA definition of 'publisher' and the industry's are vastly different. Some don't care, some are really upset when they find out.

Glad to have you here, hope you hang around :)