Plagiarizing oneself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fresie

Hi guys,

I'm stuck with a dilemma and thought maybe you could give me some kind of advice. I've been working on this story just lately, targeted at a certain publication, and it comes out quite nicely (well, at least I enjoy writing it :lol ). At the same time, I was desperately looking for a story idea for another publication in a similar genre, with a very strict editorial schedule: they currently want a particular kind of setting and style. Neither accepts simsubs, but both have deadlines looming. Well, imagine what: I looked at the first story and realised that the setting and style were exactly what the second mag wanted (must be some trick of my subconscious!). In fact, I'm now tempted to make two stories out of the same idea and setting, so my question is: how far can one go plagiarizing, so to say, one's own work? The setting will have to remain the same. The protagonist is so good I'd love to keep him although probably I'll go for somebody else, or at least switch to a new POV character. The story will be different, of course, but certain key ideas and situations I'd love to keep. So two stories written in the same style, set in the same city with the same or similar characters caught in similar situations--is it going too far, being too repetitious? What do you think?

(Guess, I just love this setup so much I want to dwell in it a bit longer. But won't it be a simsub in disguise?:huh )

mammamaia

when in doubt, don't!

you might get in trouble if you sell both pieces and then one pub sees the other's and is ticked that you fudged with the rights they supposedly paid for...

it all depends on how much you change... different setting and names won't be enough... you'll have to change the situations and events, and add/delete characters as well... this is dangerous territory... many writers write different stories containing the same characters, but if you keep basically the same story and same characters in both stories, you'll be cheating those you submit them to...

that's just off the top of my head, so i advise you to consult a literary attorney for the legal bottom line here...

love and hugs, maia

Fresie

Re: when in doubt, don't!

Thanks, mamma! No, sure the story itself will be different and most likely the characters, too. All I mean is that the setting itself is the same--the mood, atmosphere, same streets, same crowd... same questions and problems... and two different stories evolving in this setting. The characters could be neighbors--and you know what (another idea hits my head :smack ), they could even know each other!

Naturally, the stories have to be different because they're for two different markets with their own preferences and house styles. One story wouldn't fit both. That's why I want to write two.

Thanks again! :thumbs

maestrowork

Re: when in doubt, don't!

If it's just the settings, the mood, the crowd, etc. I'd say no problem, do it.

You can call it "A Night on Elm Street" and the other "Elsewhere on Elm Street" -- two different stories. Two different markets.

RichMar

Arrestotelean Logic

If what you said is what it is, I don't see a problem. If what you said is what it isn't, I do see a problem.

So, if what you said is what it is--no problem.

Fresie

Re: Arrestotelean Logic

Cool, guys, thanks! I'm writing two. Guess, now I'll have to write a few more and call it a cycle. :D

Cheers!

LiamJackson

Re: Arrestotelean Logic

<<If what you said is what it is, I don't see a problem. If what you said is what it isn't, I do see a problem.

So, if what you said is what it is--no problem>>

Damn, Rich, I like this! May I have your permission to quote you when speaking with my project leads?

RichMar

Arrestotelean Logic

Hey, if you use it within the next few weeks I'll even throw in the orange peeler.

wwwatcher

If a writer cloned themself would both of them write the same stories?

:wha

maestrowork

Re: You mean,

If you go back in time, would you write the same story again, the same way?

wwwatcher

Re: You mean,

And if I had a couple of beers (I don't drink beer) would I write the same way?

If I was a Gemini (They are reputted to be more than one person) would I write the same way?

I might be kidding; but are we writers ever the same way from day to day or are we sponges out there looking for new experiences and trying to think out of the box (artists as well) to lett creativity take us "where no human has gone before"?

It's just my imp trying to stir the waters up a little....

:teeth

Fresie

Gemini

Heh, I'm a Gemini. You see I'm trying to write the same thing twice? One with my right hand, the other with my left.

mammamaia

Re: Gemini

i'm a virgo, so everything i write is perfect from the git-go!

wwwatcher

Gemini

Fresie

Go for it. They'll probably end up different and it will be good experience if there's ever a story you want to sell (but you need to rewrite it to suit a particular magazine.

Watcher8o

luckky one

Re: Gemini

Nah, no problem, all writers tend to use the same "mood, character, or setting," or whatever, in our stories. Woody Allen does that alot. Oscar Wilde repeated many of the same dialogue in his plays, but I forgive him, because it's really GOOD dialogue, and I can understand the hesitation to give it up. I suspect, that if publishers do read the printings of other publishers, they are liable to chuckle a little when they see the similiarities between the two stories.

Jamesaritchie

If the plot is the same, you've gone too far. Same setting and same characters are fine, but it does have to be a completely different STORY with a completely different PLOT.

Believe me, editors do not chuckle when the see something published elsewhere that they have the rights to.

Status
Not open for further replies.