Is It Possible?

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I've never participated in NaNoWriMo before and the reason why is the subject of this question. I was talking to a fellow writer who has done Nano for the last two years and she swears that I don't have to be writing a novel to sign up. I could write a short story collection or something like that.

I was wondering: is this true?

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
The rules technically require a novel. But, if your short stories were interconnected?

Well, technically, it's all on the honor system, so if you wanted to join up for the camaraderie of having other writers writing at the same time to help spur you on, then sign up and write your short stories. Just don't claim that you wrote a novel at the end of it. Ya know what I mean?

But, just to play devil's advocate, what's stopping you from writing a novel? Do you not want to? Are you on a contract to write short stories? What's up? :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, technically, it's novels only. Technically, it's novels you haven't started before Nov. 1 only. But plenty of people write a series of shorts, 50K words of their already-started novel, finish one novel & begin another, and so on. I'd say, if you're writing a story (or more than one) & you write 50K words, you've done it.

It's not like they check whether you only had one story in that document or several.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I've had a chance to look over the Nano website to get a better understanding of all this. It seems like you could write short stories that are all connected, but to be honest, I don't want to do that. I like what Nano challenges you to do and all the support surrounding it. I need that kind of push to write and I would like a stack of short stories to edit and submit when its all over with. I've tried to write a novel, but I just didn't care for it. I like writing short stories.

There should be something like this for short story writers. I mean they have a similar challenge for screenwriters. So, why not the same for short stories? Or is there one that I don't know about?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Seriously. Write a stack of short stories. At the end of November, put them in one document so NaNo can check it. They really won't know. We'll support you writing 50K in any form :D

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Honestly, I would, too. I know it's not technically correct, but... If it gets yon butt in chair to write more than you would otherwise, then it's still a useful exercise, so why not just do it anyway?

And perhaps suggest to TPTB that they could start up a short story challenge. They started script frenzy, after all.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Seriously. Write a stack of short stories. At the end of November, put them in one document so NaNo can check it. They really won't know. We'll support you writing 50K in any form :D

Are you suggesting I deceive the Nano gods? :eek: