PDA

View Full Version : Do I have Carpal Tunnel?

kristie911
09-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Okay...I know I should be asking my doctor this question but I don't feel like it yet. It's not really that bad.

My left hand has been bothering for awhile now...on and off for probably a year or so. At first it was painful and I thought I had tendonitis but now rather than pain, it's more of a numbness. But what's strange is that it's not in my fingers but across the bottom of my palm, along the bottom of my thumb and just above my wrist. And not that tingly, it-fell-asleep kind of numbness but it feels like it's more inside. When it happens, I wear a brace for a few days and it gets better. It'll be fine for a month and then all of a sudden it's back.

Starting to freak me out a little bit...but no, not enough to go to the doctor yet. But if this is a symptom of carpal tunnel, I might go a little quicker.

Ziljon
09-14-2007, 09:05 AM
I think you should call 911.

SpookyWriter
09-14-2007, 09:05 AM
Could be a brain tumor or an early sign of stroke. I'd go to the doctor first before soliciting advice from a writers board. We're all crazy, remember?

* seriously see a doctor for medical advice - all joking aside *

SpookyWriter
09-14-2007, 09:06 AM
I think you should call 911.Hello, she is Kristie911. :roll:

Ziljon
09-14-2007, 09:07 AM
Hello, she is Kristie911. :roll:

No, she's Kristie ali™.

kristie911
09-14-2007, 09:14 AM
You guys are a lot of damned help.

:tongue

Ziljon
09-14-2007, 09:17 AM
Okay, Kristie, all silly banter aside. I think you do have CTS.

My wife is a concert pianist and she had the same kind of numbing. The fact that it disappears after wearing a brace confirms it.

Wear the brace, do your little hand twirling exercises and you'll be okay. It's manageable.

Cassiopeia
09-14-2007, 09:21 AM
Roller ball mouse and ergo keyboard. You'd be surprise that it won't just save your wrist but your elbow and shoulder too. :D

SpookyWriter
09-14-2007, 09:26 AM
You guys are a lot of damned help.

:tongueWell shucks, friend. I don't offer medical advice so I suggest going to a professional. I only pretend to be a doctor in fiction and can't promise a healthy recovery.

oswann
09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Why would you even ask the bunch of freaks here? Just go to the doctor. Now.

Os.

Ziljon
09-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Why would you even ask the bunch of freaks here? Just go to the doctor. Now.

Os.

Where? Whose the freak?

oswann
09-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Where? Whose the freak?

Oh, please. Calling the Office Party a freakshow is being conservative.

Os.

Ziljon
09-14-2007, 09:33 AM

Os.

...said the Green Lantern.

oswann
09-14-2007, 09:34 AM
...said the Green Lantern.

...said some sort of cake thing.

Os.

Ziljon
09-14-2007, 09:35 AM

Os.

How dare you make light of Kristie's serious condition!

SpookyWriter
09-14-2007, 09:36 AM

Os.I think it's moose quiche?

oswann
09-14-2007, 09:36 AM
How dare you make light of Kristie's serious condition!

Damn. Scolded by a cake thing.

Os.

Ziljon
09-14-2007, 09:38 AM
Damn. Scolded by a cake thing.

Os.

Yes, and I will give you violent emesis as well!

SpookyWriter
09-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Yes, and I will give you violent emesis as well!Now you sound just like my personal chef.

Ziljon
09-14-2007, 09:41 AM
Now you sound just like my personal chef.

and so I am exposed.

kristie911
09-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Why would you even ask the bunch of freaks here?

I know, I know...I should have known better. I just figured we're all writers and spend a lot of time on the computer, so maybe someone would be familiar with the symptoms.

Silly me! :D

SpookyWriter
09-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I know, I know...I should have known better. I just figured we're all writers and spend a lot of time on the computer, so maybe someone would be familiar with the symptoms.

Silly me! :DHello. Did you ever consider that most of the time the writers here were either drunk or skipping work? Ya, like I'd seek medical advice from a bunch of looney-tunes. :roll:

The last person who complained of arm problems was told to just cut it off and suck it up.

aruna
09-14-2007, 10:26 AM
You might like to PM Old Hack, Kristie. She had/has CPS seriously - she even had to get one of those things that converts voice into written language. Don't ask me what they're called.
I had it slightly a few years ago.

ETA: are you left handed?

dclary
09-14-2007, 10:36 AM
Could be a brain tumor

IT'S NOT A TUMAH!

kristie911
09-14-2007, 10:58 AM
Maybe I'll just cut it off and get a hook.

I always thought it would be cool to have a hook instead of a hand. I'd just walk around scaring little kids and teenagers making out in their cars. :D

oswann
09-14-2007, 11:02 AM

I always thought it would be cool to have a hook instead of a hand. I'd just walk around scaring little kids and teenagers making out in their cars. :D

And practical for carrying stuff in the supermarket.

Os.

kristie911
09-14-2007, 11:10 AM
And practical for carrying stuff in the supermarket.

Os.

Oh, I didn't think of that.

A hook would rock.

I bet I could get Scarletpeaches to cut my hand off for me...she'd probably do it just for fun. :)

Shwebb
09-14-2007, 05:23 PM
Kristie, I've had carpal tunnel release surgery on both hands--your symptoms do sound a lot like CTS, but you really do need to see a doc.

If the symptoms worsen when you hyperextend your wrist; that's a sign that it's likely CTS. But it could be other things, too. Like arthritis, or a pinched nerve from your neck or along your arm. Which is why you, um, need to see a doc.

He/she might order an EMG, which measures the speed of nerve impulses traveling down your arm and into your hand. Or he/she could just prescribe a wrist brace. Wear it when you sleep, as well.

Don't wait like I did. I had surgery in my left hand last month, and I still have very little sensation in my thumb. The doc says it could take six months to get that back, since I waited so long I have significant nerve damage.

/back to crazy writer mode./

Jean Marie
09-14-2007, 05:53 PM

Os.
said by the guy wearing a mask.

I think it's moose quiche?
said by the guy smoking a 'j'

Silly me! :D
I've got it and I...I'm supposed to wear a brace at night. Have it on my right wrist and like Shwebb, I did have an emg, loads of fun having needles stuck in my arm/wrist and hand. Yup, loved it. But, it's a good idea to find out the extent of it and how best to have it treated.

Actually, that's not the reason I had the emg. I had it as a follow-up to the injury I had last summer--tossed by a wave, injured the disc in my neck, brachial plexus and rotator cuff. It was to check the brachial plexus and nerves. The cp was an extra finding. I was wondering why my wrist was bothering me. Now, I know :)

Back to wearing that damn brace :)

oswann
09-14-2007, 06:50 PM
said by the guy wearing a mask.

I'll let you all in on a secret - it's not really me in the photo.

Os.

Maryn
09-14-2007, 08:12 PM
Kristie, I agree with the see-a-doctor mantra, but may I also suggest that until you do, you do two things. One, sleep in the brace most nights. Two, get yourself a gel-filled keyboard cushion-thing and another for your mouse. My b-i-l had CT pretty bad and his doctor suggested sleeping in the brace and supporting/cushioning the wrist (while promoting good form, i.e., keeping it straight during computer use) might defer the surgery. He's deferred it for about 5 years so far...

Maryn, whose wrists are golden

jennifer75
09-14-2007, 08:27 PM
I've had a couple episodes that I was sure were CT related symptoms but had it checked out once and was told nope. Just to rest my wrist and journal the occurrences. If I were to ever see a real pattern, then it would be something to worry about, but more than likely I just used too much repetition or something....

Then again I have an HMO. But yea, I get a cold ache in my forearm, but rarely in my actual wrist.

aruna
09-14-2007, 08:30 PM
Here are some more carpal tunnel discussions (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45434&highlight=carpal+tunnel).

Haggis
09-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Sounds like distemper. Have you had your shots?

dclary
09-14-2007, 08:37 PM

Make sure it's interchangeable.

With like, a quill for writing as one attachment.

jennifer75
09-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Since I've started using this I've had less discomfort.

http://i19.tinypic.com/5zc05uf.jpg

Jean Marie
09-14-2007, 08:47 PM
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/customavatars/avatar4725_50.gif (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/member.php?u=4725) Haggis is standing by, ready to give you the necessary shot, Kristie. Syringe is loaded. He believes it could be distemper, and he should know.

Cassiopeia
09-14-2007, 08:54 PM
Since I've started using this I've had less discomfort.

http://i19.tinypic.com/5zc05uf.jpgThe best thing I ever bought and my ergo keyboard...saves not only the wrist but the elbow and shoulder as well.

MidnightMuse
09-14-2007, 09:09 PM
Everyone already gave the good advice, especially Haggis - but I'll just add Don't Wait Too Long! I put off finding out what was wrong with my elbow for so long, I ended up having reconstructive surgery to fix it.

Don't Wait Too Long.

And bend over, so Haggis can reach you with that syringe.

jennifer75
09-14-2007, 09:16 PM
The best thing I ever bought and my ergo keyboard...saves not only the wrist but the elbow and shoulder as well.

yea it's dreamy.

kristie911
09-14-2007, 10:05 PM
I sit on the couch with my laptop on my lap. Probably not the best way...

I'll call my doctor in a couple weeks and make an appointment.

Thanks freaks. ;)

Parkinsonsd
09-14-2007, 10:10 PM
Make sure we get a video of the amputation.

You may want to look at www.hooksrus.com

also www.prostheticsarenotfreakyandwillnotscarekidsthat bad.com

Cassiopeia
09-15-2007, 12:43 AM
I sit on the couch with my laptop on my lap. Probably not the best way...

I'll call my doctor in a couple weeks and make an appointment.

Thanks freaks. ;)From one freak to another.... check this out, it's free. :) Workrave (http://www.workrave.org/welcome/)

MidnightMuse
09-15-2007, 12:48 AM
How you gonna pick your nose with a hook?