Do I have Carpal Tunnel?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Okay...I know I should be asking my doctor this question but I don't feel like it yet. It's not really that bad.

My left hand has been bothering for awhile now...on and off for probably a year or so. At first it was painful and I thought I had tendonitis but now rather than pain, it's more of a numbness. But what's strange is that it's not in my fingers but across the bottom of my palm, along the bottom of my thumb and just above my wrist. And not that tingly, it-fell-asleep kind of numbness but it feels like it's more inside. When it happens, I wear a brace for a few days and it gets better. It'll be fine for a month and then all of a sudden it's back.

Starting to freak me out a little bit...but no, not enough to go to the doctor yet. But if this is a symptom of carpal tunnel, I might go a little quicker.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Could be a brain tumor or an early sign of stroke. I'd go to the doctor first before soliciting advice from a writers board. We're all crazy, remember?

* seriously see a doctor for medical advice - all joking aside *

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
Okay, Kristie, all silly banter aside. I think you do have CTS.

My wife is a concert pianist and she had the same kind of numbing. The fact that it disappears after wearing a brace confirms it.

Wear the brace, do your little hand twirling exercises and you'll be okay. It's manageable.

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Why would you even ask the bunch of freaks here?

I know, I know...I should have known better. I just figured we're all writers and spend a lot of time on the computer, so maybe someone would be familiar with the symptoms.

Silly me! :D

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I know, I know...I should have known better. I just figured we're all writers and spend a lot of time on the computer, so maybe someone would be familiar with the symptoms.

Silly me! :D
Hello. Did you ever consider that most of the time the writers here were either drunk or skipping work? Ya, like I'd seek medical advice from a bunch of looney-tunes. :roll:

The last person who complained of arm problems was told to just cut it off and suck it up.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
You might like to PM Old Hack, Kristie. She had/has CPS seriously - she even had to get one of those things that converts voice into written language. Don't ask me what they're called.
I had it slightly a few years ago.

ETA: are you left handed?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'll just cut it off and get a hook.

I always thought it would be cool to have a hook instead of a hand. I'd just walk around scaring little kids and teenagers making out in their cars. :D