I have a month and a half off between semesters and...

• Thread starter William Blake Bradbury
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Blake Bradbury

...I've set myself a goal: to write a short story of moderate length-6,000 words-set in a foreign land, or psychological clime far removed from what I usually write, where the end-goal charisma of the story isn't horror or melancholy-which has permeated all of my previous work-but enchantment. I want to enchant readers. Discover the original copy of "The New Yorker" where "The Thing in the Forest" is published. Look at the Romantic panel beside the short story. I want to create a lliterary version of that. I want to create a story which parallels this sort of mysticism. But here's the sticky wicket: I've been poring over my copy of "The Best American Short Stories of the Century" and it seems that an earmark of the past and present masters is an ability to say something in an uncomplex way. I find my writing lacks this aspect. I'm not talking about economy. I'm positive I can write with economy if I want to. Here. It's easier for me to illustrate with a textual sample from the anthology:

"He dreamed that he was in the ranch house but all the furniture had been removed from the rooms and in the yard troops in dirty white uniforms fought. The concussive reports of huge guns were breaking the window glass and forcing the floorboards apart, so that he had to walk on the joists. Below the disintegrating floors he saw galvanized tubes filled with dark, coagulated fluid."

- Paragraph from Annie Proulx's "The Half-Skinned Steer"

Now contrast this from a brief sample from my latest debut:

"The kids stoned me with their glares, scoured me with their acid whispers, beat me until anything which could feel turned to powder and blew away, leaving nothing but slag and bone. My first adult years ran together, like oil paints, congealing into a grotesque blear of psychiatrists who oozed arrogance like slime on a snail, zombifying anti-depressants with lots of Xs, Ys and Zs in their names, a suicide attempt and a Christmas stay in a mental hospital, other sucidals roaming the halls at night, like ghosts sheathed in the amber of their own despair."

Proulx uses a handful of polysyllabics in her writing, but there's a lot less figurative language and a more conversational tone. It's exhausting to write the way I do and I don't like to do it. My hands shake as I begin each writing assignment and I prolong them once they start cooking, to put off when I'll have to conjure a fresh batch of verbal sleight-of-hand. The problem is: I want to write great literature. I want to tell lasting stories, and the masters I read - Annie Dillard, Lorrie Moore, John Updike, Vladimir Nabokov, Thom Jones - all write in the head-swimmingly figurative manner that I do. In an effort to gain, notice I...well, I don't want to say that I imitate them because, frankly, I think I've evolved far enough aesthetically to be to consider a stylist who can hold his own. But I have a feeling the best way to get recognized is through my verbal dazzle. This is partly because I'm not a very confident story teller. Other people can just go out and make up thousands of details and every one seems credible. I've had some experiences in my life, but when I try to depart from the secure shallows of memoir, and write of familiar strife on alien soils, I question every nuance, every detail, every look. Every gesture is supposed to have a thousand meanings, and the theme is supposed to be like a collection of mirrors reflecting off each other, revealing greater and greater depths. With every word I write, I feel a buzz of hectoring disdain aching in my skull: "This is derivative, this is old hat, this is cartoonish, this is morose." I freeze up. My muse turns glacial. My mind petrifies. I start seizing at fragmentary ideas which lead nowhere. All of the masters tell these resounding bizarre stories, populated with eccentrics and grotesque detail. But the more imaginative I try to be, the shallower and showy my writing becomes. Well, I'm chuffed and befuddled and confounded as what to do. I have 10,000, little details saved on my computer. I could tell the story of my little sister's elementary school vice principal, who was unfairly osctracized for alleged sexual advances made to his colleagues, banished from his church and, so distraught, he kidnapped his wife, took her to a motel, blew her head off and then soul-kissed the shotgun barrel himself. Or the tragedy of my 10-year-old cousin accidentally hanging himself. But I'm absolutely bewildered as to how I could imbue these scenes with quiet eloquence. Besides, I'm an unmarried sexual cipher who's still in college. I know nothing of a father's grief, although I do know a little about being given the communal, cold shoulder (see my latest work, heck, see the above paragraph). Simply, put, I want to enchant my readers, but I don't want to have to show off to make the story substantial. Maybe my life as an anti-social has fogged my ability to create human interaction. And, while I've experienced a GREAT deal, it's all a muddle when I try to recall it. So, simply put, again, I want to enchant, to transport, but I don't want to resort to parlor tricks. So :rolleyes

William Blake Bradbury

Also, I know a lot, and I've seen a lot, but I can't seem to create those fantastic details in my stories like the ones in the Proulx paragraph. It would never occur me to that floorboards would fall away from the "concussive" effect of gunshots. One way I test my ability to create believable details is, after reading details like the one above, I ask myself if I would have thought of that, or something as good as that. And, unfortunately, the answer is usually a stentorian, "No!":\

aka eraser

William, there's a discussion on the Novel board now (and it's not the first) about dealing with your inner editor. You might want to check it out. My advice is, as per usual, simplistic and in the easier-said-than-done category: Just write it until you reach "the end" and save the analysis until then. Preferably a day or 3 after then. Turn the editor/analyst off when writing.

We all write most honestly when we write from our experience. Yours has been outside the norm (whatever that is), vivid and compelling. You're a gifted writer, but, as you acknowledged, that wellspring of experience is limited. You're young, you can't be expected to truly "know" a lot of things until you live them.

Your natural ability is a rare gift. Your insight into your own psyche is honed to a razor's edge. With time, experience, maturity and practice, you can re-focus that insight into "out"-sight: learning how and what makes other's tick, getting inside their heads instead living in your own.

Until then though, I think you need to write what you know, both because your story is compelling and should be told, and because it will help exorcise your demons, allowing you to move on and grow both as a person and a writer.

And the Proulx details? Not realistic to me. If anything would fall away from the concussive effects of giant guns, I think it would be the walls, at first anyway.

But then, it was a dream wasn't it? Dreams don't need logic. :)

maestrowork

Comparing yourself to a great writer is a two-edged sword. It can motivate you, and it can demoralize you. My advice is: just write. Let your voice come through. With time, experience and confidence, you will find your own style.

And do you think Proulx wrote like that right off the bat?

Jamesaritchie

To be honest, I think great and lasting literature is derived mostly from content, from the things a writer says that touch people deep inside, and keep touching successive generations of readers.

Great writers and great literature comes in all forms and with al voices, from the very plain, minimilistic style of Hemingway, to the long, complcated sentences of Faulkner, from the simple illiterate country boy voice Mark Twain uses in Huckleberry Finn, to the lyrical words of Shakespeare.

I have always believed the best voice any writer can possibly use is his own, unique voice. It's the only voice that will be like no other.

Write the way you write. The example you posted is, in my opinion, very good writing, but whatever voice you use, if it's your own, and if it has something to say people can relate to, it will be literature.

Get rid of the inner editor. Imitation is a part of life, and it's how we all learn. If you read all thee writers, you won't be imitating any of them. What comes out will be a mix of all the writers you read, and over time, your own, unique voice will emerge from that mix.

And imitative or not, good writing is still good writing.

And remember this, much that you read about theme and symbolism and detail wasn't placed in a story by the writer, but was seen there, and often simply imagined, by some critic or reviewer who came along later. Most of the time, writers just write, and critics find the theme and symbolism and meaning in their stories, even if it doesn't actually exist.

Just write. It strikes me that everything you're doing is just what you should be doing, and the only enemy you have is your own self-doubt.

William Blake Bradbury

I deeply appreciate all your advice...

...but having finally, after 9 arduous months, completed the great essay of my youth, now I wish to set my sights on my other great dream, the one I've had since I was 12: to write a story which reads like a dream, full of mysticism and disquieting and very real horror beneath the unreality. I don't want to go into any details about the story I am at this very moment devising, because enchantment must be spontaneous, and publicizing one's alchemy robs one's necromancery of its spontaneity. As for the credibility of Proulx, I refer you to the greatest English professor I've ever met (SHE ACTUALLY SUCCESSFULLY EXPLAINED "THE YELLOW WALLPAPER" TO ME!!!!!!): "Nobody believed Flannery O'Connor, either." ;) One problem with figurative language is it creates an airy world, while forging one's poetry in the concrete details and actions of a fully-imagined world makes them solid as steel. But, anyway, once again, thanks all for your earnest advice. Laters, :hat

Jamesaritchie

Re: I deeply appreciate all your advice...

There's still time.

William Blake Bradbury

okay...

...what the hey, I'll take your advice to heart and write what I know. My next essay will be another 7,000-worder. Again, it will cover some homosexual experiences of mine. But this essay, unliking its prodigiously-eclectic predecessor, will focus on what it's like to be a gay 17-year-old growing up in a HEAVILY BAPTIST, Southern thorpe. Trust me, I have stories which'll crimson your ears mandrill butt good!!!!!!
Laters, ;) :hat :evil

Jamesaritchie

write

The way you write is impressive, and if you can write this way consistently, everything else is downhill, whatever you write about.

Status
Not open for further replies.