PDA

View Full Version : How can I write...

Sarita
09-14-2007, 05:59 AM
... with Neil f-ing Gaiman in the house?

He's not really here, but I just picked up a copy of Smoke and Mirrors. Ha! I call myself a writer. I feel so inferior. He writes with such richness, description, character. *Sigh* I suppose I should bottle this and use it as motivation to improve.

Are there authors out there that make you feel like crap?

dclary
09-14-2007, 06:11 AM

He's not really here, but I just picked up a copy of Smoke and Mirrors. Ha! I call myself a writer. I feel so inferior. He writes with such richness, description, character. *Sigh* I suppose I should bottle this and use it as motivation to improve.

Yes.

SpookyWriter
09-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Yes.No.

dclary
09-14-2007, 06:17 AM

You may not want to do the Clarion workshop this year, then.

Sarita
09-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Yes.
Wow.

Sarita
09-14-2007, 06:19 AM
You may not want to do the Clarion workshop this year, then.
I wouldn't get much out of it. My margins would be filled with things like:

Your writing is shit, Sara.
Give it up.
Neil is SO HOT!!
Why did you write this crap?
You're an idiot.

Perks
09-14-2007, 06:37 AM
I have to try him again. I started American Gods four times and couldn't get through it.

But so many people love his work.

Ziljon
09-14-2007, 06:50 AM
I feel the same way about Patrick O'Brian.

But just think of food, Sara, or music. Eventhough I love Boeuf Bourguignonne, I don't want to eat it everyday (although I did once have it for breakfast and that was pretty nice!). And eventhough I think Bach is the best, I still sometimes crave Brahms, or Hendrix, or Willie Nelson.

There's room out there--just like inside your own head--for many different levels of author, composer, and chef.

Go ahead and make a sandwich, but make it the best sandwich you can make.

Sarita
09-14-2007, 06:54 AM
I have to try him again. I started American Gods four times and couldn't get through it. Oh please do. Start with one of his short storie collections. I have Fragile Things and Smoke and Mirrors. Both execellent. I think you'll like him.

Also, when you're ready for one of his novels, start with Good Omens, which isn't really Gaiman at all but a mix of him and Pratchett. But Good Omens is a must read for anyone. I really love Stardust and Neverwhere.

Eventhough I love Boeuf Bourguignonne, I don't want to eat it everyday (although I did once have it for breakfast and that was pretty nice!). So true. Wait, are you telling me to think of having Neil Gaiman for breakfast?

maestrowork
09-14-2007, 06:54 AM
You can just compare to me... suddenly the sky would be the limit. ;)

KTC
09-14-2007, 06:56 AM
I pick up a Michael Chabon or a JD Salinger...I'm in heaven. But I'm also in hell...because I just can't get there!

SpookyWriter
09-14-2007, 07:06 AM
Clive Barker for me. If I have to become an honest man.

Perks
09-14-2007, 07:06 AM
So true. Wait, are you telling me to think of having Neil Gaiman for breakfast?Is he cute?

Sarita
09-14-2007, 07:10 AM
Is he cute?
In that geeky sort of smoldering British horror writer way, yeah. Here. (http://static.flickr.com/223/527150919_0e50deb3e8.jpg) Oh and here (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1193/527023379_6e9279931f.jpg).

Sarita
09-14-2007, 07:12 AM
I pick up a Michael Chabon or a JD Salinger...I'm in heaven. But I'm also in hell...because I just can't get there!
I love Salinger. Franny and Zooey!

KTC
09-14-2007, 02:34 PM
I love Salinger. Franny and Zooey!

Franny & Zooey is my absolute fav! Well...Zooey is my abfab...but the whole book is the one I read over and over again...hoping osmosis will kick in.

I have a Golden Retriever named Franny. I tried for two...wife wouldn't let me. It took me 20 years to talk her into one...then one day out of the blue she calls me and says, "I found Franny, but you can't have a Zooey." I said, "Okay."

But I'm going off topic. Yes...I love Salinger too.

Haggis
09-14-2007, 02:58 PM

Pretty much all of them.

Sarita
09-14-2007, 06:08 PM
I have a Golden Retriever named Franny. I had 2 Gold Fish in high school named Franny and Zooey. They didn't retrieve anything, though...

Pretty much all of them. Come on, now. Certainly you're better than this. (http://books.google.com/books?id=MZxhbX4vGncC&dq=&pg=PP1&ots=X6PwAnhcey&sig=vSMT5Qiu_QJT99NW4vwKkqPQ6r8&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fsourceid%3Dnavclient%26ie%3DUTF-8%26rls%3DDKUS,DKUS:2006-45,DKUS:en%26q%3Datlanta%2Bnights&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title)

scarletpeaches
09-14-2007, 11:18 PM
I believe you're only heading for depression or despair if you compare yourself to other writers. I mean, look at it this way. You admire Gaiman. Other people think he's shit. So what some people (you) think is fantastic writing, other people (John Q. Reader) wouldn't care for.

I've read Smoke and Mirrors and while the story ideas were entertaining and made me think, "I wish I'd thought of that!" the style of writing itself? Meh.

If good writers (well, good in your opinion anyway;)) help you aspire to greatness, then fantastic. But don't compare yourself to them because there's always someone out there who'll wonder what all the fuss is about.

Incidentally, my aunt and uncle took me to Borders on their credit cards once and my uncle asked, "What shoe size are you? Six? Then you can choose six books." I added Gaiman's Fragile Things (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fragile-Things-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0755334140/ref=sr_1_1/026-9185912-9107633?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189797476&sr=1-1) to the pile. Wish I'd used American sizes now; I would have had 30- or 40-odd books!

JoNightshade
09-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Incidentally, my aunt and uncle took me to Borders on their credit cards once and my uncle asked, "What shoe size are you? Six? Then you can choose six books." I added Gaiman's Fragile Things (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fragile-Things-Neil-Gaiman/dp/0755334140/ref=sr_1_1/026-9185912-9107633?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189797476&sr=1-1) to the pile. Wish I'd used American sizes now; I would have had 30- or 40-odd books!

Are you referring to maybe Italian shoe sizes? My shoe size is an 11 in the US and my feet are considered huge.

And re: the OP, I think it's funny how we often pick one author who is our ideal and ends up making us feel bad because we can't accomplish that level of greatness... but then other people may think, "Him? He's not that great." When I saw that you were lusting over Neil Gaiman, my first thought was "Him?!" I think his stories are wonderful fun, but I wouldn't consider him a particularly fantastic writer in terms of style.

My author of envy has always been Ray Bradbury, but over the years I've realized that even his brilliance is not complete. His style works well for some things, not for others.

As SP said, you can't compare yourself to other writers; you have your own story to tell your own way.

scarletpeaches
09-14-2007, 11:27 PM
Did I do good? I can has cookie now plz? :D

Rich
09-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Don't compare yourself. (BTW, I love Salinger)

You have to write you. Ain't no other way.

Sarita
09-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Excellent points, all of you. I know all of this, but last night when I had time to write, a sleeping baby, a working husband, the only thing I could think of was "I would rather be reading Smoke and Mirrors." So I did. :)

Did I do good? I can has cookie now plz? :DOnly if I get Gaiman...

Azraelsbane
09-15-2007, 03:10 AM
:e2cookie::e2cookie::e2cookie: u kan haz tree kookeez.

Did I do good? I can has cookie now plz? :D

brokenfingers
09-15-2007, 05:05 AM
I read American Gods and was seriously underwhelmed.

So as has been said - don't worry about who you don't write like. Hone your skills and story and voice and style and you'll be great at writing like you - and people will like that.

Sarita
09-15-2007, 05:52 PM
I think reading American Gods as an intro to Gaiman is like reading the entire S Volume of the encyclopedia to find out about sitars.

Try something else, really, you wont be sorry. While I thought American Gods was good, it was my least favorite out of all his novels. I mean, how can this not intrigue:

Rajit never viewed the gender-rewriting action of Reboot as anything more than a side effect.

scarletpeaches
09-15-2007, 09:08 PM
I bought Neverwhere and haven't read it yet. But I have so much else on my TBR pile! Including a beta-version of Azraelsbane's novel...I'm hoping there's a sexytime camel in there somewhere...

JLCwrites
09-16-2007, 12:22 AM
In that geeky sort of smoldering British horror writer way, yeah. Here. (http://static.flickr.com/223/527150919_0e50deb3e8.jpg) Oh and here (http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1193/527023379_6e9279931f.jpg).

I don't know about his books, but I'd let him eat cookies in my bed.