How can I write...

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
... with Neil f-ing Gaiman in the house?

He's not really here, but I just picked up a copy of Smoke and Mirrors. Ha! I call myself a writer. I feel so inferior. He writes with such richness, description, character. *Sigh* I suppose I should bottle this and use it as motivation to improve.

Are there authors out there that make you feel like crap?

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

He's not really here, but I just picked up a copy of Smoke and Mirrors. Ha! I call myself a writer. I feel so inferior. He writes with such richness, description, character. *Sigh* I suppose I should bottle this and use it as motivation to improve.

Yes.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com

You may not want to do the Clarion workshop this year, then.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
You may not want to do the Clarion workshop this year, then.
I wouldn't get much out of it. My margins would be filled with things like:

Your writing is shit, Sara.
Give it up.
Neil is SO HOT!!
Why did you write this crap?
You're an idiot.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I have to try him again. I started American Gods four times and couldn't get through it.

But so many people love his work.

Ziljon

Tortilla di Patate
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.daviddepalo.com
I feel the same way about Patrick O'Brian.

But just think of food, Sara, or music. Eventhough I love Boeuf Bourguignonne, I don't want to eat it everyday (although I did once have it for breakfast and that was pretty nice!). And eventhough I think Bach is the best, I still sometimes crave Brahms, or Hendrix, or Willie Nelson.

There's room out there--just like inside your own head--for many different levels of author, composer, and chef.

Go ahead and make a sandwich, but make it the best sandwich you can make.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
I have to try him again. I started American Gods four times and couldn't get through it.
Oh please do. Start with one of his short storie collections. I have Fragile Things and Smoke and Mirrors. Both execellent. I think you'll like him.

Also, when you're ready for one of his novels, start with Good Omens, which isn't really Gaiman at all but a mix of him and Pratchett. But Good Omens is a must read for anyone. I really love Stardust and Neverwhere.
Eventhough I love Boeuf Bourguignonne, I don't want to eat it everyday (although I did once have it for breakfast and that was pretty nice!).
So true. Wait, are you telling me to think of having Neil Gaiman for breakfast?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I pick up a Michael Chabon or a JD Salinger...I'm in heaven. But I'm also in hell...because I just can't get there!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I love Salinger. Franny and Zooey!

Franny & Zooey is my absolute fav! Well...Zooey is my abfab...but the whole book is the one I read over and over again...hoping osmosis will kick in.

I have a Golden Retriever named Franny. I tried for two...wife wouldn't let me. It took me 20 years to talk her into one...then one day out of the blue she calls me and says, "I found Franny, but you can't have a Zooey." I said, "Okay."

But I'm going off topic. Yes...I love Salinger too.

Reaction score
I believe you're only heading for depression or despair if you compare yourself to other writers. I mean, look at it this way. You admire Gaiman. Other people think he's shit. So what some people (you) think is fantastic writing, other people (John Q. Reader) wouldn't care for.

I've read Smoke and Mirrors and while the story ideas were entertaining and made me think, "I wish I'd thought of that!" the style of writing itself? Meh.

If good writers (well, good in your opinion anyway;)) help you aspire to greatness, then fantastic. But don't compare yourself to them because there's always someone out there who'll wonder what all the fuss is about.

Incidentally, my aunt and uncle took me to Borders on their credit cards once and my uncle asked, "What shoe size are you? Six? Then you can choose six books." I added Gaiman's Fragile Things to the pile. Wish I'd used American sizes now; I would have had 30- or 40-odd books!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Incidentally, my aunt and uncle took me to Borders on their credit cards once and my uncle asked, "What shoe size are you? Six? Then you can choose six books." I added Gaiman's Fragile Things to the pile. Wish I'd used American sizes now; I would have had 30- or 40-odd books!

Are you referring to maybe Italian shoe sizes? My shoe size is an 11 in the US and my feet are considered huge.

And re: the OP, I think it's funny how we often pick one author who is our ideal and ends up making us feel bad because we can't accomplish that level of greatness... but then other people may think, "Him? He's not that great." When I saw that you were lusting over Neil Gaiman, my first thought was "Him?!" I think his stories are wonderful fun, but I wouldn't consider him a particularly fantastic writer in terms of style.

My author of envy has always been Ray Bradbury, but over the years I've realized that even his brilliance is not complete. His style works well for some things, not for others.

As SP said, you can't compare yourself to other writers; you have your own story to tell your own way.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't compare yourself. (BTW, I love Salinger)

You have to write you. Ain't no other way.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent points, all of you. I know all of this, but last night when I had time to write, a sleeping baby, a working husband, the only thing I could think of was "I would rather be reading Smoke and Mirrors." So I did. :)
Did I do good? I can has cookie now plz? :D
Only if I get Gaiman...

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I read American Gods and was seriously underwhelmed.

So as has been said - don't worry about who you don't write like. Hone your skills and story and voice and style and you'll be great at writing like you - and people will like that.