N00by Question :P

Mel

Never be completely back to normal.
Registered
Reaction score
National Novel Writing Month

You can cruise around the forum there and read posts, but if you want to post yourself you'll need to join.

Basically, you try to write 50,000 words in the month of November. It does get one to BIC ::butt in chair:: and get words written every day.

79,000 participants and 13,000 winners last year.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Go to the website in October & sign up :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL: I reread it & could see it being a commercial, yeah. :roll:

Mel

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it might sound like it to some. But, nope, it wasn't. :D

Lots of us are thinking, or getting ready for it in one way or another. Need to get my own butt in gear and start doing some serious planning.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Theme? Plot? :roll: I think you'd be surprised at the number of people who show up, not just on the first of November but on the remaining days as well, sign up, and start writing without a single thing planned.

No, no theme. No standard plot. No genre requirement. No requirement for cohesiveness. No requirement for logic. No requirement to have your main character alive at the end of it. No... requirements. Other than it be a novel that you started from scratch on or after November 1st. :)

If you wanted, you could write about a 75 year old drunken gay sailor turned artist on a killing spree in a fantasy setting in post-apocalyptic France with a young blind and paralyzed woman as his romantic partner. Preposterous is fine, too. :D

Mel

Registered
Reaction score
If you wanted, you could write about a 75 year old drunken gay sailor turned artist on a killing spree in a fantasy setting in post-apocalyptic France with a young blind and paralyzed woman as his romantic partner. Preposterous is fine, too. :D

You know, someone is likely to steal that for NaNo if they see it here. :D

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
If you reach 50,000 words at the end of November, are you automatically classified as a Winner?

Yep. And what do you win? The respect and admiration of your peers, plus a couple of winner's icons and the satisfaction of having survived.

:D

For the last two years, I hit 50,000 each time but didn't finish either story. Maybe this year...

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
Yep. And what do you win? The respect and admiration of your peers, plus a couple of winner's icons and the satisfaction of having survived.

:D

For the last two years, I hit 50,000 each time but didn't finish either story. Maybe this year...

Ohhh goodie, I'll just be happy for particating :D

So what happened when you hit 50,000 and you didn't finish both times?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh goodie, I'll just be happy for particating :D

So what happened when you hit 50,000 and you didn't finish both times?

I still won NaNo, and ended up with two incomplete drafts which I will someday finish. I'm thinking of revisiting one of those stories next year while I revise my current WIP. It'll have to be pretty much completely rewritten since my fantasy universe has changed.

truelyana

Set yourself free
Registered
Reaction score
Website
expressiveworld.com
I still won NaNo, and ended up with two incomplete drafts which I will someday finish. I'm thinking of revisiting one of those stories next year while I revise my current WIP. It'll have to be pretty much completely rewritten since my fantasy universe has changed.

Wow, still that's a mighty fine accomplishment even if not finished. I am sure you'll figure something out one day, with them :) I wish you well :D