Word Count

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Could someone please explain how you get an "official" word count from NaNoWriMo? I have read the FAQS and Basics on the website, but I still don't understand how to do it.

Where do you submit your work in progress on during November?
That is, how do you submit work on Nov. 3rd, 7th, 12th....etc until the end of the month?
At the end, when you reach 50,000 words or Nov. 30th, how do you submit your final version?

Thanks,

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I update my own bar during the month, and only upload during the last week to make sure I'm not wildly off from the nanowidget.

I had the same fears my first year. What if I do something wrong? What if I can't figure out how to use the site? I survived. So will you.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There's an honor system for the first few weeks, then you can start uploading the text file & getting an official count. My official counts have always been higher than my Microsoft Word counts, but some people's are lower, so it's good to check before the 30th to make sure it won't shortchange you.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mine were a wee bit lower, but not by much. Downloading for an official count is super easy. I'm the least techno-savy person you will find. I don't blog. I don't use my thumb drive. But I can NaNo.

Don't worry, if the time comes and you have trouble we can talk you through it.

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Vaguely on this topic...it's driving me nuts to see that little bar resting at 0/50,000. I want it to move, darn it!

Alvah

Registered
Reaction score
I have looked at the NaNo website but all I found under NaNo Technology was this:

>During November you can post an excerpt from your novel. Follow the >same steps as listed above for updating the Word Count.

But I don't see any "steps listed above" for updating Word Count.
None of the other topics under NaNo Technology or Help seem to be about updating word count.

Does anyone here know how to do it?

Thanks,

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
They're probably changing things around this year since they have new servers and everything, so I understand. If it's the same as in past years, though, you have the option of inputting your word count yourself as a number, or uploading your saved file to be auto-counted. It's really easy. Basically you just go to the appropriate page, and do a browse-upload thing and hit count.

I'm thinking, though, that in past years the latter option (of uploading your file to be counted) only showed up in the last week or so for "official" final counts. For the earlier part of the month you had to enter your own count.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
They're probably changing things around this year since they have new servers and everything, so I understand. If it's the same as in past years, though, you have the option of inputting your word count yourself as a number, or uploading your saved file to be auto-counted. It's really easy. Basically you just go to the appropriate page, and do a browse-upload thing and hit count.

I'm thinking, though, that in past years the latter option (of uploading your file to be counted) only showed up in the last week or so for "official" final counts. For the earlier part of the month you had to enter your own count.
I don't suppose they give the algorithm for how nano counts words. And to think they have TEN MONTHS out of the year to add features, load-test and debug the server so it would have good response the other two months...:rant:

Alvah

Registered
Reaction score
I see how to update word count. The word count fields don't appear until it's November 1st in my time zone.

Thanks evedryone for your help.