Status
Not open for further replies.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Okay, for some reason I have it in my head that it is rare but possible to develop a hypersensitivity to drugs/medication after abusing drugs or being addicted to drugs. IE, the opposite of the usual needing to take more and more of normal stuff like aspirin for it to have an effect.

In my mind it's like becoming allergic to something because of overexposure.

Am I just smoking crack here or does this happen? ;)

I'm trying to Google this but I'm getting a ton of stuff about natural hypersensitivity. I'm looking for it in conjunction with drug abuse. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
By hypersensitive you mean it takes less of the drug to get the same effect, as opposed to an allergy?

This does happen somewhat with alcohol as far as the observed result goes, but it's sort of an illusion, and a very poor prognostic sign. It is a result of extensive liver damage to the point that it takes less of the drug to overwhelm the surviving liver cells. They are most likely terminally ill by that point.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
By hypersensitive you mean it takes less of the drug to get the same effect, as opposed to an allergy?

Yeah, basically.

This does happen somewhat with alcohol as far as the observed result goes, but it's sort of an illusion, and a very poor prognostic sign. It is a result of extensive liver damage to the point that it takes less of the drug to overwhelm the surviving liver cells. They are most likely terminally ill by that point.

Well, that does not bode well for my character. ;) I'm just referring to drugs here, I'm thinking most likely methamphetamines.

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that certain drugs (opiates) effect the beta-endorphins in the brain, which can make a person susceptible to relapse or sensitivity. Stimulant use hits your dopamine levels. Alcohol effects the brain's serotonin. Alcoholics have been shown to have much lower levels of serotonin than others. This brain chemistry is why "traditional" rehab fails. The person may get clean and sober, but the brain chemistry (neurotransmitters) have not been rewired so they're "itching" for a hit.

Radiant Recovery talks more about this, (there's an article about meth use) and might offer you some interesting insight into the brain's response. There's a lot of info about "upregulating" and "downregulating" your neurotransmitters, making you hyper-sensitive to the chemicals that hit your brain's "weak spot" (priming the pump).

Status
Not open for further replies.