First Rejection! Boo hoo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a brand-new newbie and received my first rejection for my first piece in the mail today. It wasn't unexpected and I'm sure there are many more to come, but my skin hasn't reached the required degree of thickness just yet.

So I just wanted to whine to someone. Thanks for listening. Carrying on now.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Stop what you're doing and pour a glass of your preferred beverage and toast yourself! You've accomplished more than most--you finished a piece and sent it out. Congratulations and welcome to the club. :D

Now--send it out again!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, thanks. It does feel good to be writing again, after doing the stay-at-home mommy thing for so long.

HopelessDreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Try not to get discouraged! I remember when my first rejection came about a year ago. I thought that my ms was great and any agent would be crazy not to pick it up. I certainly learned my lesson. I opened the letter only to find that they had sent me a form rejection on a laminated card. I'll admit it: I cried. It certainly woke me up to the reality of the world of literary agents.

It gets easier; don't worry! At this point, I find myself opening rejections, thinking, "Oh well..." and forgetting all about that particular one. Just don't lose hope and keep sending out those queries!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I'll take solace in the fact that my second piece has opened to RAVE reviews.

Of course, it's written for my daughters and bound with purple construction paper and staples, but it will make an excellent addition to their libraries.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I'll take solace in the fact that my second piece has opened to RAVE reviews.

Of course, it's written for my daughters and bound with purple construction paper and staples, but it will make an excellent addition to their libraries.

If I want to raise my spirits after a rejection, I write a story for my daughter. It's always well-received and never rejected. Of course, she is four years old, lol.

Welcome to the club. Not too many people have enough courage to send anything out.

ALG71

Defanged Hellraiser
Registered
Reaction score
In a place, at a time, where I sometimes ask mysel
Be happy Wendy. I got my first rejection this morning and I'm pretty happy about it. It was only for a flash fiction piece, but I got feedback on it. And it reminds me that I've finally got some material to submit. Even if it was only a flash. I can't wait to start sending out more works.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
It will come!

I'm a brand-new newbie and received my first rejection for my first piece in the mail today. It wasn't unexpected and I'm sure there are many more to come, but my skin hasn't reached the required degree of thickness just yet.

So I just wanted to whine to someone. Thanks for listening. Carrying on now.

Sorry to hear about your 1st rejection. In my opinion those that pass their driving test on the 2nd or 3rd (or more) attempt make much better drivers. Likewise I am convinced that those who have to endure some rejection, if they don't give up become much better writers.

Keep on writing and have a big bar of chocolate.

Kevvers

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
Soz I forgot to mention:

You skin does thicken up. Like when you play guitar and yes it does take take but we at AW are all here with you and for you, to encourage you.

Kevvers

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rum and chocolate. They help the skin to thicken :D

Hang in there - you can take 12 hours to be bummed, but then it's right back on that horsie, missie!

jchines

Got the hang of it, here
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jimchines.com
Congratulations, Wendy and Alex! I agree that rejections should be a point of pride.

"I came, I submitted, I got my form letter ... and then I got back up and did it all over again, so there!"

Welcome to the club :)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Wendy!

Now you know that you won't die. Makes it easier to send stuff out. :D

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
Congrats, so saorry, here's something to drink your anxiety away. (passes a fresh bottle of Mike's Hard Lemonade)

This is such a great place to vent, bounce ideas, and share your successes. Lots of folks have already said - you've done good by stepping up to the plate and taking a swing. Frame your first rejection because it's the start of a crazy journey. Good luck!

Pike

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations on a successful first rejection. You're still alive and everything. Our club is growing daily and let me welcome you to it.

All the best in your future submissions: may they one day garner acceptance. Write on, seestah!

Dragonfly45

Purveyor of the Sparkly
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colbymarshall.blogspot.com
Hi Wendy!

I'm all new to this ,too, querying my first novel right now...got my first rejections (and several since then!) about a month ago. I remember before I got it thinking that I had prepared myself for it and was going to be fine...then I got the rejection and I cried. I tried to hold it in all afternoon, but eventually I bawled. But I think it sticks you with the reality that you have an uphill clim, but also that you're ready for the challenge! We're with you!

FloVoyager

Will write for chocolate
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! You're submitting! Now back at it, and don't give up. :)

*passes chocolate*

luckygyrl1005

Registered
Reaction score
I received my first rejection yesterday too. I have to admit, it stung! They said that my opening was too boring and that I had too many boring details... but my details are important to my story... I will keep working on improving my ms.
In the meantime, I need to get thicker skin too!

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I received my first rejection yesterday too. I have to admit, it stung! They said that my opening was too boring and that I had too many boring details... but my details are important to my story... I will keep working on improving my ms.
In the meantime, I need to get thicker skin too!

It stings, but at least they are giving you concrete suggestions on what you can do to make it better. That way, you can make some adjustments and send it off to another publication.

My rejection was nice, very nice actually, but they didn't tell me what they DIDN'T like about it. I think I would prefer some suggestions, however rude they may be. I know, I know, no one is ever satisfied with a rejection, no matter what it says.

Good luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.