PDA

View Full Version : Hobo frickin' spiders!!!!!

Foinah
09-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Gah!!! My house is a haven for the creepy crawlies. The hubby found one in the basement on top of his tool box and decided to show it to me in a jar. I think I may have ruptured the hubby's ear drum...It was definitely a hobo.

There were two in the bathtub...one in my daughter's playroom. It's mating season and the randy little feckers are scurrying about, looking for some arachnid love. Too bad, so sad.

Alpha Ecological just left. They nuked everything! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

I do feel bad for the non-hobos and other bugs that will die in the aftermath.

There. I'm over it.

Kate Thornton
09-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Spiders=Aaaaaarrrrrgggghhh! Icky-poo!

Azraelsbane
09-11-2007, 10:24 PM
You get a rep point just for the thread name. ;)

Joe270
09-11-2007, 10:35 PM
I got a solution for that problem. . .

melaniehoo
09-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I could loan you one of the salamanders roaming our walls - thye eat spiders.

Unique
09-11-2007, 11:59 PM
You do not want to get bitten by a Hobo spider. Trust me. Rather like a recluse bite without the ongoing necrosis. Just a smidgen of necrosis. Yeah. That means a gaping wound that doesn't want to heal where you were bitten. Ugh.

sunna
09-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Auuuugh! *runs in circles and panics*

I really shouldn't have googled that.

We actually discovered 2 brown recluses in the mail room where I work yesterday. I refuse to go in there now. I can't wait till winter, when all of these suckers will die. Right now they're all trying to crawl into the buildings.

Foinah
09-12-2007, 12:10 AM
You do not want to get bitten by a Hobo spider. Trust me. Rather like a recluse bite without the ongoing necrosis. Just a smidgen of necrosis. Yeah. That means a gaping wound that doesn't want to heal where you were bitten. Ugh.

Been there, done that...got the nasty scar as a souvenir. I had to call a pest control company and speak with their entomologist to get the proper diagnosis. The docs wouldn't believe it was a spider bite. They kept saying, "we don't have those kinds of nasty spiders here!"

Uh, hello?! What's this nasty bit o' necrosis with a bulls eye ring around it? A course of dapsone and prednysone later, it was healed. Every once in a while it will flair up again (too gross) and the scar will get gunky.

I frickin' hate those little bastards!!!!!!! But I love me my pyrethrins.

JLCwrites
09-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Bleh!
We don't have any poisonous ones around here, but we do have a spider season. I can't leave my front door without being tangled up in a web!

In our family, we have a deal with the spiders. If they stay outside, we will leave them alone. Once they are inside, they are doomed to the Dyson!

http://grant7.typepad.com/trilogy/images/toby.bmp

That rule goes for you too Toby!

Del
09-12-2007, 12:48 AM
That means a gaping wound that doesn't want to heal where you were bitten. Ugh.

Well Duh!! Just go somewhere else!

The_Grand_Duchess
09-12-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm glad I googled it. I checked out a map and learned I don't have posinous spiders in my area. Go me.

PattiTheWicked
09-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Look what I found in my garden this afternoon. And yes, it's really that farkin' big.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/PattiD68/DSCN3849.jpg

Unique
09-12-2007, 01:23 AM
Hey! Look at the remote control tarantula at the bottom of this page! Maybe we can chase the real ones with the fake ones. How 'bout that for some afternoon fun?

Oh, yeah. Foinah. Scars. We have scars. Ick. Stomp. Sweep.

JLCwrites
09-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Hey Unique! How did your location end up in my avatar?

*coughing on cat hair*

Del
09-12-2007, 02:17 AM
Look what I found in my garden this afternoon. And yes, it's really that farkin' big.

Did it bounce its web? We used to get those all the time. This looks like it;

http://www.hmrprint.com/helensphotos/images/KODAK_05_06/2005_5/ORB_SPIDER1.jpg

They called this an Orb Spider. I don't know. We called it a trampoline spider.

Boing boing boing boing...cool. :)

Azraelsbane
09-12-2007, 03:39 AM
I am feeling your pain. I just found hobo frickin' ants. *sigh*

maestrowork
09-12-2007, 04:58 AM

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w94/PattiD68/DSCN3849.jpg

That's a beautiful (and harmless) spider.

This one was in my garden last summer:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/maestrowork/spider.jpg

PattiTheWicked
09-12-2007, 05:35 AM
Even though I'm normally squicked out by spiders, I thought this one out in the garden was beautiful. I didn't even consider killing her, I just sat and watched her spin. It was cool.

My kids named her Goldie when they got home from school.

maestrowork
09-12-2007, 05:39 AM
Those are very good for your garden -- the catch all kinds of mosquitoes, etc.

ErylRavenwell
09-12-2007, 10:21 AM
Gah!!! My house is a haven for the creepy crawlies. The hubby found one in the basement on top of his tool box and decided to show it to me in a jar. I think I may have ruptured the hubby's ear drum...It was definitely a hobo.

There were two in the bathtub...one in my daughter's playroom. It's mating season and the randy little feckers are scurrying about, looking for some arachnid love. Too bad, so sad.

Alpha Ecological just left. They nuked everything! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

I do feel bad for the non-hobos and other bugs that will die in the aftermath.

There. I'm over it.

You, murderer. ;)

ErylRavenwell
09-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Even though I'm normally squicked out by spiders, I thought this one out in the garden was beautiful. I didn't even consider killing her, I just sat and watched her spin. It was cool.

My kids named her Goldie when they got home from school.

And it's a good idea. It's a form of biological control. The spider preys on pests harmful to your plants and to people. Don't kill it!

dpaterso
09-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Will you friggin camera nutjobs please STOP posting spider pics in threads where arachnophobics are huddling together to whimper about their fear of spiders! Thank you!

-Derek

ErylRavenwell
09-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Will you friggin camera nutjobs please STOP posting spider pics in threads where arachnophobics are huddling together to whimper about their fear of spiders! Thank you!

-Derek

I need to take a picture of my plumb, oversized tarantula pet for the forum. Ungoliant's its name. Wanna get close and personal with it. Handsome creature.

dpaterso
09-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Well OK, but you understand that if I were in the same room as Ungoliant, I would kill it. With my shoe, with a chair, with anything that came to hand. Nothing could stop me. It's my reaction to spiders. Ask the horrendously big spider I saw on the garden fence the other day just as I was reaching for the gate lock. No, wait, you can't. Tho' you can still see the smear. Spiders, eh? What a laugh-a-minute riot they are!

-Derek

ErylRavenwell
09-12-2007, 12:47 PM
Bring it on. :)

http://www.fantasyplanet.cz/eporedax/gfx/tolkien/rasy/odula.jpg

Foinah
09-12-2007, 08:27 PM
I need to take a picture of my plumb, oversized tarantula pet for the forum. Ungoliant's its name. Wanna get close and personal with it. Handsome creature.

You are cruel! And yes...I am a murderer, within reason ;) Spiders are free to do their own thing in my garden -- great organic pest control.

I don't actively seek to smash the buggers (ha-- get it?), but once inside my home hobos are fair game.

Yes, I know I've posted about these spiders before...but I thought I had eradicated them. No! Hobos are like herpes or a psycho ex. They just keep popping up at inappropriate times.

Maestro...must you post that pic? Yes, in some weird arachnophile kind of way, that thing is pretty, but GAH!!!!

I co-existed with an orb weaver on my back deck for weeks. I even moved her so she wouldn't get nuked. However, the creepy in my living room last night was introduced to the bottom of my shoe. Hit it off right from the start, as a matter of fact. You could even go so far as to say they are SOLE mates.

Foinah
09-13-2007, 04:29 AM
I'm still laughing at that one...

At least I amused myself ;)

Danger Jane
09-13-2007, 04:36 AM
But they didn't eat you like they did that guy

Unique
09-13-2007, 05:05 AM
But they didn't eat you like they did that guy

aw, dang. I'd forgotten all about that.

bad, Danger Jane, bad, bad.... I sense nightmares comin' on. pffft....

DeleyanLee
09-13-2007, 05:13 AM
OTOH, I want to thank all the people for posting all the pretty spider pictures. Spiders are my totem animal--I adore them! Well, at least in pictures. LOL! As long as they stay out of my personal space (except for the collectables I have, of course), they're great.