PDA

View Full Version : The official soft drink poll for all times.

III
09-11-2007, 06:58 PM
This is to decide once and for all which term for "soft drinks" is official and correct and which ones are just plain stupid and should never be used again. And if your choice isn't in the poll then just die, okay?

RumpleTumbler
09-11-2007, 06:58 PM
Dr. Pecker.

cray
09-11-2007, 06:59 PM
where's the soda poll, dork?

Bmwhtly
09-11-2007, 07:00 PM
There are "Soft" drinks?

Carrie in PA
09-11-2007, 07:01 PM
Yes.

robeiae
I call them "pop," 'cause I'm retro.

A. Hamilton
Grew up calling it pop, from my Dad's influence. But when I came to Cali, my ex and pretty much everyone else I knew called it soda-that stuck.

robeiae
Yes.
Knock it off.

MidnightMuse
I call them "pop" 'cause I'm so hip.

Bmwhtly
09-11-2007, 07:03 PM
I call them "pop," 'cause I'm retro.

I call them "pop" 'cause I'm so hip.I call them "Non-alcoholic? are you ****in' kidding me?" because... well, My Name's Bmwhtly and I have a problem. :D

No, really, I don't.

dahmnait
09-11-2007, 07:05 PM
I call them by brand name, because I'm anal.

Siddow
09-11-2007, 07:07 PM
I used to call them pop, but I've been in the south so long now...they're all coke. And I drink Pepsi, when available, which is hardly freaking ever. Sigh.

robeiae
09-11-2007, 07:10 PM
My Grandmother always said "co-cola."

Kate Thornton
09-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Coke. Is there anything else? (Okay, I have a soft spot for Vernor's and Crush, always keep them on hand, but it's COKE I buy by the case. Coke & freshly squeezed limes)

III
09-11-2007, 07:12 PM

Mine too. I can't imagine how it would be pronounced by someone with teeth, though, or with an "a" in front of it. It was always "Go gimmie co-cola."

BenPanced
09-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I call it "pop" because that's what I grew up calling it.

Now that I'm slave to brands, I just call Pepsi "Nectar Of The Godstm" and Coke "GET THAT SWILL AWAY FROM ME!tm"

III
09-11-2007, 07:26 PM
No Coke, Pepsi. Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheesburger.

(note: if you were born in the '80's or later, the above is slap-nuts funny, trust me.)

scarletpeaches
09-11-2007, 07:30 PM
This is to decide once and for all which term for "soft drinks" is official and correct and which ones are just plain stupid and should never be used again. And if your choice isn't in the poll then just die, okay?

:cry:

I call it juice.

*crawls away to die*

III
09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
:cry:

I call it juice.

*crawls away to die*

Juice? No wonder we kicked your butts in WWII!

scarletpeaches
09-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Uh...you do realise you were supposed to be bombing the ones who were bombing us? Now take your friendly fire elsewhere and bring me some juice, Yank-boy!

KTC
09-11-2007, 07:56 PM
It's POP here. But I voted for Sodapop...the Outsiders character.

kristie911
09-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Being from the Midwest, I'm required by law to call it pop. Every once in a while I'll call it soda, just to freak people out. :)

oswann
09-11-2007, 07:58 PM
I can't believe people actually use the word pop.

Os.

KTC
09-11-2007, 08:02 PM
I can't believe people call it something other than pop.

oswann
09-11-2007, 08:03 PM
I can't believe I'm even discussing this.

Os.

III
09-11-2007, 08:04 PM
Pop's leading in the polls, but Soda is coming on strong. C'mon folks, this is for the right to snigger at people who talk differently than you. Make your voices heard.

KTC
09-11-2007, 08:05 PM
I can't believe I'm discussing it.

BenPanced
09-11-2007, 08:06 PM
I can't believe people actually use the word pop.

Os.

I can't believe people call it something other than pop.

Os.
I can't believe I even give a flying fig about the subject...

The_Grand_Duchess
09-11-2007, 08:07 PM
Everyone knows that its soda. Only people from uncivilized lands call it any different. And what's with calling it 'coke' and 'pepsi'? I hate when people do that! Those are brands! Not generic terms!

C.bronco
09-11-2007, 08:09 PM
I call it "pop" because that's what I grew up calling it.

Now that I'm slave to brands, I just call Pepsi "Nectar Of The Godstm" and Coke "GET THAT SWILL AWAY FROM ME!tm"
Wow, I've always referred to diet pepsi as Nectar of the Gods! My Mom and I refer to it casually as "DP," and I've also called it The Elixir of Life. There's also "uploading" which is getting a large DP in a drive-thru, and "downloading" which is stopping at a rest stop when on the road.
I love diet pepsi.

jennifer75
09-11-2007, 08:10 PM
If I'm drinking Coke, I call it coke. If I'm drinking Sprite I call it sprite. I don't use Pop, Cola, Soda, Soda-Pop, or anything else. And I hardly drink the stuff.

And, you really should put an Other in your poll. Geesh. Or at least put:

Coke and Gin
Rum and Coke
Vodka Tonic
etc.

:)

III
09-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Everyone knows that its soda. Only people from uncivilized lands call it any different. And what's with calling it 'coke' and 'pepsi'? I hate when people do that! Those are brands! Not generic terms!

Do you ever say "Hand me a Kleenex?" or "Can you Xerox this?". I can't be too hard on you, though, because "soda" is my second choice.

If I'm drinking Coke, I call it coke. If I'm drinking Sprite I call it sprite. I don't use Pop, Cola, Soda, Soda-Pop, or anything else. And I hardly drink the stuff.

And, you really should put an Other in your poll. Geesh. Or at least put:

Coke and Gin
Rum and Coke
Vodka Tonic
etc.

But you see what you did - "Rum and Coke", "Coke and Gin" - you answered the question right there ;). I've never heard anyone order a "Rum and Pop". You'd probably get your butt kicked for saying something like that.

KTC
09-11-2007, 08:18 PM
I can't believe that figs can fly. Fall...maybe...but fly? Come on. Let's keep it real, shall we.

Azraelsbane
09-11-2007, 08:23 PM
All you pop people are nuts. Just so you know.

KTC
09-11-2007, 08:24 PM
soda is for Miss Daisy.

The_Grand_Duchess
09-11-2007, 08:25 PM
Do you ever say "Hand me a Kleenex?" or "Can you Xerox this?". I can't be too hard on you, though, because "soda" is my second choice.

No, I never say those things. I say tissue and copy.

But you see what you did - "Rum and Coke", "Coke and Gin" - you answered the question right there ;). I've never heard anyone order a "Rum and Pop". You'd probably get your butt kicked for saying something like that.

Yeah but you have to use that specific soda to make the drink. It's not generic, you really want that brand.

Kentuk
09-11-2007, 08:26 PM
Call it crap, can't stand bubbles and sugar, its coffee in the morning and cool green tea the rest of the day.

KTC
09-11-2007, 08:26 PM
you say tissue? really? wow.

I always say copy, but I also always say kleenex. And I say Aspirin...no matter what it is too.

KTC
09-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Call it crap, can't stand bubbles and sugar, its coffee in the morning and cool green tea the rest of the day.

sugar in the morning, sugar in the evening, sugar at supper time.

III
09-11-2007, 08:29 PM
Yeah but you have to use that specific soda to make the drink. It's not generic, you really want that brand.

I'd disagree there. I'd always prefer a Dr. Pepper to a Coke or a vanilla Coke to a regular Coke, but it's just easiest to order a "Rum and Coke" so there's a lower probability of getting your drink messed up.

The_Grand_Duchess
09-11-2007, 08:36 PM
I'd disagree there. I'd always prefer a Dr. Pepper to a Coke or a vanilla Coke to a regular Coke, but it's just easiest to order a "Rum and Coke" so there's a lower probability of getting your drink messed up.

Yeah but they don't mix rum and coke with pepsi. Vanilla coke was the truth.

robeiae
09-11-2007, 08:38 PM

Os.

I can't believe I'm discussing it.

I can't believe I even give a flying fig about the subject...
Degenerates.

KTC
09-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Degenerates.

says the freakiest cat I eva did see.

Duncan J Macdonald
09-11-2007, 08:44 PM

(note: if you were born in the '80's or later, the above is slap-nuts funny, trust me.)Do you rememeber the episode where they were bought out by Coke?

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX
09-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Er, usually I say soda or soft drink when speaking generally, but I usually refer to the specific brand (which is usually Dr. Pepper XD).

When I say "Can I have a Coke?" I mean Coke, not just any soft drink. But if I'm asking someone what soft drink they want, I'll probably say..."You want a soda?" or just ask what drink they want. :tongue

ALLWritety
09-11-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm a coke man myself - addict need my fix!!!

AND coming from UK we call it POP!

Kevvers

Namatu
09-11-2007, 09:56 PM
AND coming from UK we call it POP!
That's because it is pop. I don't know where these other terms came from.

Mountain Dew, however, is the Magic Elixir.

III
09-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Mountain Dew, however, is the Magic Elixir.

I came home from work one day to find my three-year-old son literally running circles through the house as fast as he could. I asked my wife what his deal was and she said she didn't know. I asked if he had chocolate or something and she said "all he had to drink was Sprite". I looked on the counter and discovered my wife had mistaken the generic version of Sprite for the generic version of Mountain Dew. It was funny to watch that little guy just go and go and go.

robeiae
09-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Next time, try giving him a glazed donut to eat with it.

KTC
09-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Did somebody say, DONUT?

CaroGirl
09-11-2007, 10:07 PM
Don't only Americans call it soda? I could call it poop. I don't drink the stuff. Water flows out of my tap and I believe it's pretty much free.

C.bronco
09-11-2007, 10:08 PM
I never give my son soda. He thinks you have to be 21 to drink it! But he does love chocolate and cake.

KTC
09-11-2007, 10:13 PM
He's singing for Pepsi. He's singing for Coke...

CaroGirl
09-11-2007, 10:14 PM
He's singing for Pepsi. He's singing for Coke...
Yeah! Canadian content!

KTC
09-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Gotta have it.

Carole
09-11-2007, 11:55 PM

(note: if you were born in the '80's or later, the above is slap-nuts funny, trust me.)

I tried that with my boys and they SO don't get it.

Regarding pop, I call it...pop. Hubby calls it soda and after 10 years he still sounds snobby. Then again he also calls tennis shoes "sneakers". Maybe there's no hope for him. I guess it's a regional thing. I always thought pop was more southern, but he's from Florida. But I have always said that Florida is the only state in the US where you have to drive north to get to "The South".

RLB
09-12-2007, 12:04 AM
Where's the "carbonated beverage" option?

And I always associate pop with the midwest. When I was a waitress outside D-troit (as my southern family pronounced it) I got weird, weird looks if I offered someone a soda.

Duncan J Macdonald
09-12-2007, 12:25 AM
Yeah! Canadian content!It's not Friday! Can't have CanCon without it being Friday!

Namatu
09-12-2007, 12:31 AM
Where's the "carbonated beverage" option?

And I always associate pop with the midwest. When I was a waitress outside D-troit (as my southern family pronounced it) I got weird, weird looks if I offered someone a soda.
Yeah, we don't say "soda" in D-troit! It's pop all the way!

I drank nothing but Mountain Dew all through high school. Then I went cold turkey. Now I have it rarely. Usually I stick with the water because, as CaroGirl says, it's free.

Dave.C.Robinson
09-12-2007, 12:45 AM
I've spent time in Canada, where it's pop, and parts of the south where it was soda. I've used both.

Pepsi, however, is the Anti-Cola, an evil brew that never touches my lips. (It makes my mouth feel all fuzzy).

I tend to go for Coke.

Azraelsbane
09-12-2007, 12:45 AM
I never give my son soda. He thinks you have to be 21 to drink it! But he does love chocolate and cake.

I wasn't allowed to drink soda until I was 14. Bad for training. :(

But I went overboard in college. And...the 24 can tower of Berries & Cream Dr. Pepper surrounding my laptop at the moment says I've not been doing much to cut back.

Southern_girl29
09-12-2007, 01:12 AM
My Southern ears can't stand the sound of someone from up north saying "Pop." Lewis Grizzard did a wonderful routine about it when he was still alive. I call it coke. It's all coke, even Sprite or Dr. Pepper or my favorite drink, Sun-Drop, which not many people have heard of.

Azraelsbane
09-12-2007, 01:15 AM
My Southern ears can't stand the sound of someone from up north saying "Pop." Lewis Grizzard did a wonderful routine about it when he was still alive. I call it coke. It's all coke, even Sprite or Dr. Pepper or my favorite drink, Sun-Drop, which not many people have heard of.

Sun-Drop... FREAK! ;)

Carole
09-12-2007, 02:03 AM
I've heard of Sun Drop. It's kinda like Mountain Dew, right? But in my neck of the South it's still "pop" just like all the others. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
09-12-2007, 02:45 AM

Oh, gods. I say the same thing as someone's grandmother... ::sigh::

If you were born in the '50s and loved SNL, it's slap-nuts funny, too... even if you don't have any nuts. :)

MattW
09-12-2007, 02:59 AM
My Southern ears can't stand the sound of someone from up north saying "Pop." It must be midwest because we northerners don't say "pop."

robeiae
09-12-2007, 03:09 AM
I've heard of Sun Drop. It's kinda like Mountain Dew, right? But in my neck of the South it's still "pop" just like all the others. :D
Brother, Uncle, next door neighbor--they're all "pop."

:roll:

sorry.

Carole
09-12-2007, 05:00 AM
Oh, geez...I walked headlong into THAT, now didn't I? :D

Chumplet
09-12-2007, 05:07 AM
In Canada as far as I know we say Pop. I thought all Americans called it Soda. If you really want to be hoity-toity, you can call it a carbonated non-alcoholic beverage.

RLB
09-12-2007, 05:22 AM
It must be midwest because we northerners don't say "pop."

I think many southerners tend to lump everyone above the Mason-Dixon line together as northerners. When I was moving to Detroit, my very southern TN grandmother said "Rachel, the North?" with a small gasp. I don't know what they call people out west. I'll have to ask my grandmother. Probably northerners though.

benbradley
09-12-2007, 06:10 AM
I used to call them pop, but I've been in the south so long now...they're all coke. And I drink Pepsi, when available, which is hardly freaking ever. Sigh.

Welcome to the Atlanta area, home of the world-renowned Emory University, where every other street and building are named "Woddruff this" and "Woodruff that." There's even the Woodruff Arts Center stop on Marta.

For a short explanation and some humongous dollar figures, there's this:
http://www.woodruff.org/about_rww.aspx

billythrilly7th
09-12-2007, 06:18 AM
http://www.theconglomerate.org/weblogs/archives/pop.map.gif

rhymegirl
09-12-2007, 06:26 AM
I don't drink "that stuff."

Just water, thank you.

And maybe a little coffee.

Pat~
09-12-2007, 06:39 AM
I said Coke because there really isn't any other soft drink. All those other ones are just Coke-wannabees.

SpookyWriter
09-12-2007, 06:47 AM

VODKA!

BenPanced
09-12-2007, 07:36 AM
I can't believe that figs can fly. Fall...maybe...but fly? Come on. Let's keep it real, shall we.
Of course, they fly! If you throw them hard enough!

I came home from work one day to find my three-year-old son literally running circles through the house as fast as he could. I asked my wife what his deal was and she said she didn't know. I asked if he had chocolate or something and she said "all he had to drink was Sprite". I looked on the counter and discovered my wife had mistaken the generic version of Sprite for the generic version of Mountain Dew. It was funny to watch that little guy just go and go and go.
GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA GO!!!

EriRae
09-12-2007, 07:40 AM

You can't kill me that easily...does that mean you're going to put me on ignore?

In my part of the country, it's pop, but I say SODA. Because I sound like I have a Wisconsin accent when I say SODA. :D It's cute.

Azraelsbane
09-12-2007, 07:55 AM
You can't kill me that easily...does that mean you're going to put me on ignore?

In my part of the country, it's pop, but I say SODA. Because I sound like I have a Wisconsin accent when I say SODA. :D It's cute.

You just picked soda because all the cool kids are doin' it. :tongue

Southern_girl29
09-12-2007, 08:15 PM

It is like Mountain Dew, just not as sweet. My sister lives in Knoxville, and she can't get it there. My husband is from Memphis, and when we go to visit his family, we can't get it there either. I'm not sure how their distribution works, but it's made by the same company that bottles 7-Up.

BenPanced
09-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Soda Pop Stop (http://www.sodapopstop.com/home.cfm)

(This is not an endorsement. Or endorphin. Or dolphin. Or dauphin. Or Armistead Maupin. It's just a link I have.)

WarrenP
09-12-2007, 09:25 PM
How can this be properly discussed without the use of the research website dedicated to the subject: http://popvssoda.com

Here are the stats for the US and Canada: http://popvssoda.com:2998/stats/ALL.html

I think the image BT showed was from there as well. Here it is, and you can click on any state to see the stats from your local county:
http://popvssoda.com:2998/countystats/total-county.html

Me? Pop, all the way. But I do say soda sometimes at restaurants just to confuse the poor server.

Dave.C.Robinson
09-12-2007, 09:51 PM
Soda won where I am-- 5-2 over coke, no other responses. However the statistical sample was small enough to be meaningless.

III
09-12-2007, 10:00 PM
Wow, I didn't know there was already so much scientific research done around this subject. They'll feel kinda dumb when they find out we decided a winner on our own.

Sunnyside
09-12-2007, 10:00 PM
I think it's a regional thing. When I lived in the Midwest, we all called it pop. When I moved to the Southwest, we called it soda. Now that I'm in the DC area, we call it beer.

No, no . . . it's really soda in most parts of Maryland, until you get out to the eastern shore of the Chesapeake, at which point it mutates to soda pop.

WarrenP
09-12-2007, 11:17 PM
...They'll feel kinda dumb when they find out we decided a winner on our own.

All without Federal funding!

Deadbeat 007
09-13-2007, 02:17 AM
In Arizona, it's usually always "soda." I used to call it "pop" when I was little, though I don't know why. Maybe my mom calls it that. I've never really thought about stuff like this.

CatSlave
09-13-2007, 02:29 AM
Or at least put:

Coke and Gin
Rum and Coke
Vodka Tonic
etc.

Gin and Coke? Ewww!! Are you old enough to drink?

Here, have a nice Okra Cola. :)

brokenfingers
09-13-2007, 04:18 AM
I'm sorry, but if you call it pop, then you might as well go back to whatever commie country you came from.

Sage
09-13-2007, 04:26 AM
Go, "Soda," go!

III
09-14-2007, 08:14 PM
The polls have closed and Soda is the official winner!

Congratulations, Soda people! You may commence your gloating.

cray
09-14-2007, 08:16 PM
how many guitar players does it take to close a poll?

what? oh,..wrong thread. sorry. up yours.
carry on.

sthrnwriter
09-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Darn! I forgot to vote. I usually say coke, sometimes soda, but I've heard people refer to it as pop.

ErylRavenwell
09-15-2007, 09:51 AM
"Coca-cola rots your brain." Damn anarchist got me off soft drinks with all those stickers on the vending machines. Beer is so much better anyway; rots my brain even faster. :D

http://www.nathanpralle.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/vb.jpg