PDA

View Full Version : Could you read a book a day for 100 days?

scarletpeaches
09-10-2007, 06:17 PM
You'd have to if you were a Booker judge (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6987113.stm) (lucky swines).

dahmnait
09-10-2007, 07:16 PM
I feel for them actually. I can read like that, no problem, if the books are good. I have been known to read 3 – 4 books in one day, giving each the same attention. However, if I had to take notes on each, it would slow me down considerably. And if I didn't like the subject, or how the book was written, it could become a struggle.

ETA: Glad the camel is back. :D

ETA2: And the camel is gone again. lol

RLB
09-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Well, I read a whole one yesterday, so I've got a good start. Haven't picked up one today though.

But yeah, the note-taking thing would slow me way down.

Mr. Fix
09-10-2007, 11:02 PM
Only one book a day? Doesn't seem fair.:cry:

KTC
09-10-2007, 11:05 PM
I am the slowest reader I know. My 11 year-old son is a faster reader than I am. I would not be a good man for the job. I am absolutely frustrated by the number of books on my reading list! It will take me until about 2700 to read them...obviously I'll be dead before then!

DeleyanLee
09-10-2007, 11:36 PM
Good heavens, no. Wouldn't happen. I average maybe 20-30 books annually, sometimes less (of course, I read mostly non-fiction, so that might explain it). Between not reading fast (a Harlequin paperback takes a full 6-9 hours) and not having much time to read, it's an impossibility.

Though it is a favorite fantasy to have all the time I want to read and get those muscles back into shape.

BardSkye
09-11-2007, 12:48 AM
I could do the reading, and the notes. Problem is, I seldom like the books that make the list. It would be awfully hard to finish any of them.

totidem_verbis
09-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Do they suffer from eye strain? :eek:

Kudra
09-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Also, they don't get to choose. I'd be able to read a book a day for 100 days if I had choice of picking the genre I felt like reading on a particular day. Hmm, I read crime fiction yesterday, maybe I'll read some romance today, and self-help tomorrow.

Note-taking, remembering each book for what it is, comparing, finding the best-- yeah, it's way too much work. Just reading I can do. All the analysis would make me go mad.

ATP
09-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately, I am unable to access the site given in the link. But to the question...

Really? One hundred days and 100 books. I would surmise that they have developed the skill of scanning; this is a good time saver. (I have tried to learn this, but remain a word-by-word reader).They may not even finish reading each book cover-to-cover.

If they have to take notes, I wonder how comprehensive they would be--somewhere between an academic journal-type critique and a very pithy summary? They would have to have a skill here too, I think. I would suspect that in this manner, each reader/judge would likely fill out a standardised sheet of questions, maybe even with scores required.

Like or dislike the judges' final decisions, for each judge it is a time-consuming exercise. I wonder if each judge has to take leave of their regular job to undertake the task, despite a degree of prestige attached to judging?

Dave.C.Robinson
09-11-2007, 05:57 PM
Depending on the length of the book, I don't see a problem with it. I can easily read a couple or three books a day without trouble. Having said that, most literary fiction bores me to tears, so I might not be a good choice judging the Booker prize since I'd likely put Space Opera or Fantasy at the top of the list because it had action and a plot. :)

Will Lavender
09-12-2007, 04:06 AM
No, I could not...

But I could skim 100 books in 100 days.

Take THAT Booker judges. :D

ATP
09-12-2007, 10:12 AM
No, I could not...

But I could skim 100 books in 100 days.

Take THAT Booker judges. :D

Hmmm...interesting. Just to be sure that I was using the word correctly,
I did a search on the word 'scan' at the site below.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scan

If you're interested, go the the section on Word History on the development of the use of the word scan. Skim is listed as one of its synonyms.