PDA

View Full Version : Past / Present / Future

III
09-10-2007, 05:49 PM
Where's your head most of the time? (yes, yes, I know - on your neck or up your tuchus) Do you "live" in the past, present, or future?

I find I'm always thinking about the future, no matter what I'm doing, I'm carrying around a mental list of all the things that need to be done. I think I need to live more in the present. Just wondering about you guys.

sunna
09-10-2007, 05:55 PM
I should probably live a little more in the future; or at least think about it more often. I'm very much in the present.

scarletpeaches
09-10-2007, 05:57 PM
Future, I think. I don't enjoy the present so much because I'm always making lists, thinking of what needs to be done, wondering what next week will be like, or the week after, or the week after that.

I think if you're always planning, you can lose sight of the blessings you experience now. And if you have something to look forward to at a later date, you can end up wishing your life away so the time passes quickly.

robeiae
09-10-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm always doing laundry. Therefore, I live and suffer in the present, dread the future, and despise the past.

Devil Ledbetter
09-10-2007, 06:17 PM
III, everybody knows it makes more sense to live in the present tense. ;)

EriRae
09-10-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm stuck in the past. :(

The_Grand_Duchess
09-10-2007, 06:46 PM
I find myself dwelling on the past. I know that it's not healthy and it's not going to help anything but I can't seem to stop. But I got to court next month so I've been thinking on that too.

maestrowork
09-10-2007, 06:48 PM
Mostly the present, with a short dip in the past or future time to time. I even write in present tense - I'm hopeless.

JLCwrites
09-10-2007, 07:31 PM
I am almost always in the present.

If I think about the past, I will usually have a good laugh or feel a little guilty and I am scared to think of the future, cause, what if I don't have one?

BTW, I write present tense too.

NeuroFizz
09-10-2007, 07:36 PM
I look to the future for inspiration, to the past for lessons and context, and try to put all that together to maximize enjoyment of the present.

Duncan J Macdonald
09-10-2007, 07:43 PM
One must live in the past, for only the moment can be considered the present, and once one has realized the moment, it becomes the past.

Julie Worth
09-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Past, present, future...that seems so limited.

III
09-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Past, present, future...that seems so limited.

Ummm, should I add "not yet conceived" or "dead" or "living in a dimension outside the timespace continuum" as options?

maestrowork
09-10-2007, 08:12 PM
You need to add subjunctive mood...

seven41
09-10-2007, 08:15 PM
You cannot live in the past or the future. The past is memory and the future is imagination. I live in the now. I write about the past. I don't like what I imagine is coming in the future, so I don't write about it.

ishtar'sgate
09-10-2007, 08:38 PM
When I'm well into a WIP my head is always in the distant past. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, I'm always thinking about the past, seeing it play out in my head like film. The present is an annoyance and the future isn't even on my radar.
Linnea

dclary
09-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Past right now, sadly.

mkcbunny
09-10-2007, 08:54 PM
Here and now. If I think about the future, I think about money, lack thereof, and how-can-we-pay-for-anything? So I don't think about that.

EriRae
09-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Past right now, sadly.

Come join me in the past :D We can make a new future. In the renaissance (did I get it right this time?) faire weapons forum...

dclary
09-10-2007, 09:08 PM
Come join me in the past :D We can make a new future. In the renaissance (did I get it right this time?) faire weapons forum...

You are an evil, evil woman.

:D

III
09-10-2007, 09:09 PM

No! This thread was not intended to empower you to time-travel and take over the past with your futuristic knowledge of gunpowder and electoral colleges and glued toilet paper. I shan't be responsible for that!

dclary
09-10-2007, 09:10 PM
No! This thread was not intended to empower you to time-travel and take over the past with your futuristic knowledge of gunpowder and electoral colleges and glued toilet paper. I shan't be responsible for that!

We'll let you create the first electric lute!

III
09-10-2007, 09:12 PM
We'll let you create the first electric lute!

IT'S A DEAL!

Mr. Fix
09-10-2007, 09:17 PM
As Yoda once said;

"Always to the future does he look, never concentrating on where he is now!"

I prefer the Tralfamadorian view of time...

We humans look at time like a mountain peak, standing at the base, seeing only the mountain before us or the one behind. Tralfamadorians view time as the mountain range. Seeing the whole range before them and simply visiting each peak at their pleasure. (concept from 'Slaughterhouse Five' by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.)

:e2arms:

III
09-10-2007, 09:29 PM
As Yoda once said;

We humans look at time like a mountain peak, standing at the base, seeing only the mountain before us or the one behind. Tralfamadorians view time as the mountain range. Seeing the whole range before them and simply visiting each peak at their pleasure. (concept from 'Slaughterhouse Five' by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.)

Then you need to update your sig line where it says "My future's so bright". Maybe "The Tralfamadorian range before me is so full of bright peaks that I must wear occular protection"?

kristie911
09-10-2007, 09:29 PM
I tend to live in the future. I've come to realize I'm always worrying about something that's coming up. Just a bit of anxiety disorder I can't seem to shake.

Mr. Fix
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Then you need to update your sig line where it says "My future's so bright". Maybe "The Tralfamadorian range before me is so full of bright peaks that I must wear occular protection"?

Are you suggesting that my future isn't bright?

And since I've already been there (and done that,) does this "whole view" of my existence change the fact that it is my future... from the point of view of me in the present.

I know of no rules here that dictate that being in the "future" and being in the "past" that I cannot now be relating to these past and future 'point of views' from the perspective of being in the "present?"

:e2steer:

EriRae
09-10-2007, 09:48 PM
As Yoda once said;

That book (Slaughterhouse Five) should be handled like TNT. I swear, it almost made my brain emplode.

How about Neale Donald Walsch's idea of "The everpresent moment of NOW." I'd like to see that one in action, myself.

Namatu
09-10-2007, 09:51 PM
I like to make future plans, but over the last few years have been stuck living with a strange combination of present and future. If I do this, then that will be the result, so I have to pace myself with this or avoid that... Right now I live in the present. I'm too busy to be anywhere else.

EriRae
09-10-2007, 09:56 PM

That electoral college bit...you can invent that with your lute. Okay? I don't want credit for that bit of future/past. ;) And glued toilet paper is just silly. We should all use moist towelettes, according to Dr. Oz. THAT's what I'll do...L. Frank Baum's going to KILL me back in time ;)

Mr. Fix
09-10-2007, 09:57 PM
I like to make future plans, but over the last few years have been stuck living with a strange combination of present and future. If I do this, then that will be the result, so I have to pace myself with this or avoid that... Right now I live in the present. I'm too busy to be anywhere else.

And to that I say...

"Be here now.":D

III
09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
That electoral college bit...you can invent that with your lute. Okay? I don't want credit for that bit of future/past. ;) And glued toilet paper is just silly. We should all use moist towelettes, according to Dr. Oz. THAT's what I'll do...L. Frank Baum's going to KILL me back in time ;)

Moist towelettes? That's one place I don't need to be damp, thank you.

ALLWritety
09-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I am a dreamer. So i live in the future a lot.

Kevvers

C.bronco
09-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I exist on all planes at all times. I am omnipresent, ubiquitous and full of hot air.

zahra
09-11-2007, 12:20 AM
The future. And it had better be an improvement on what's come before, or there'll be tantrums.