Do you live in the Past, Present, or Future

• Total voters

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Where's your head most of the time? (yes, yes, I know - on your neck or up your tuchus) Do you "live" in the past, present, or future?

I find I'm always thinking about the future, no matter what I'm doing, I'm carrying around a mental list of all the things that need to be done. I think I need to live more in the present. Just wondering about you guys.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
I should probably live a little more in the future; or at least think about it more often. I'm very much in the present.

Reaction score
Future, I think. I don't enjoy the present so much because I'm always making lists, thinking of what needs to be done, wondering what next week will be like, or the week after, or the week after that.

I think if you're always planning, you can lose sight of the blessings you experience now. And if you have something to look forward to at a later date, you can end up wishing your life away so the time passes quickly.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Mostly the present, with a short dip in the past or future time to time. I even write in present tense - I'm hopeless.

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
I am almost always in the present.

If I think about the past, I will usually have a good laugh or feel a little guilty and I am scared to think of the future, cause, what if I don't have one?

BTW, I write present tense too.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I look to the future for inspiration, to the past for lessons and context, and try to put all that together to maximize enjoyment of the present.

Duncan J Macdonald

Plotting! Not Plodding!
Registered
Reaction score
One must live in the past, for only the moment can be considered the present, and once one has realized the moment, it becomes the past.

seven41

Registered
Reaction score
You cannot live in the past or the future. The past is memory and the future is imagination. I live in the now. I write about the past. I don't like what I imagine is coming in the future, so I don't write about it.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
When I'm well into a WIP my head is always in the distant past. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, I'm always thinking about the past, seeing it play out in my head like film. The present is an annoyance and the future isn't even on my radar.
Linnea

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
Here and now. If I think about the future, I think about money, lack thereof, and how-can-we-pay-for-anything? So I don't think about that.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Come join me in the past :D We can make a new future. In the renaissance (did I get it right this time?) faire weapons forum...

No! This thread was not intended to empower you to time-travel and take over the past with your futuristic knowledge of gunpowder and electoral colleges and glued toilet paper. I shan't be responsible for that!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
No! This thread was not intended to empower you to time-travel and take over the past with your futuristic knowledge of gunpowder and electoral colleges and glued toilet paper. I shan't be responsible for that!

We'll let you create the first electric lute!

Mr. Fix

Fixed on the future...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Keeping my eyes on the prize...

As Yoda once said;

"Always to the future does he look, never concentrating on where he is now!"

I prefer the Tralfamadorian view of time...

We humans look at time like a mountain peak, standing at the base, seeing only the mountain before us or the one behind. Tralfamadorians view time as the mountain range. Seeing the whole range before them and simply visiting each peak at their pleasure. (concept from 'Slaughterhouse Five' by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.)

:e2arms:

Last edited:

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
As Yoda once said;

"Always to the future does he look, never concentrating on where he is now!"

I prefer the Tralfamadorian view of time...

We humans look at time like a mountain peak, standing at the base, seeing only the mountain before us or the one behind. Tralfamadorians view time as the mountain range. Seeing the whole range before them and simply visiting each peak at their pleasure. (concept from 'Slaughterhouse Five' by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.)

:e2arms:

Then you need to update your sig line where it says "My future's so bright". Maybe "The Tralfamadorian range before me is so full of bright peaks that I must wear occular protection"?