actuary out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno about Sweden, but boating accidents are VERY common in NZ. They have an accident/mortality list and boating is in the top 5 every year (if I'm remembering correctly). Does your character know what they are doing? Know about weather changes? If not, excellent chance for death. If so, still could succumb to the sea...
Cheers,
Christina

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
What exactly are you looking for?
  • The number of boating deaths in Sweden?
  • The probability that any Swedish citizen will die in a boating accident?
  • The probability that a Swedish citizen who goes on a boat trip will die in a boating accident?
  • The probability that anyone visiting Sweden will die in a boating accident?
  • etc...

They're all going to be calculated differently. You need to be more specific about the information you need to find an answer to this one.

Laurie Champion

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www-rohan.sdsu.edu
more specific

Thanks, you guys. The character is a math wiz and goes around calculating death-related probabilities as a way to cope with his mother's death.

So, I would need to know the probability of someone visiting Sweden dying in a boating accident (around Midsummer, which is no doubt a factor), but if that's too hard to calculate, I could work with the probability of ANYONE dying in a boat accident in Sweden.

The character would think of this, as his mom, a tourist in Sweden, dies in a boating accident, around Midsummer. Specifically she falls off one of those taxi ferries that takes people to the various islands across which Sweden is built. But he could just think of the general probability of dying in a boat accident in Sweden.

The MC is kind of a math weirdo, so he might calculate of all the variations mentioned in the post above. But it boils down to a tourist in Sweden who gets on a boat during the Midsummer season.

Again, whichever angle is easiest to calculate is fine and as many angles, as I'm putting this in his thoughts and he would consider all possibilities--he's a nerd. The mother is 48 when she dies.

Many, many thanks,

Laurie

Last edited:

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
I've been doing a little research - but it's quite involved. Looks like Sweden has one of the lowest accidental death rates, so it would be a pretty low probability.

Check out the WHO website (http://www.euro.who.int) and do a search by accidental deaths and Sweden. You'll also need to find statistics for tourism (not sure where you'd look for those, sorry) and for the overall population of the country to get all of those figures. Then it's a simple calculation to work out probability.

Melisande

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Thanks, you guys. The character is a math wiz and goes around calculating death-related probabilities as a way to cope with his mother's death.

So, I would need to know the probability of someone visiting Sweden dying in a boating accident (around Midsummer, which is no doubt a factor), but if that's too hard to calculate, I could work with the probability of ANYONE dying in a boat accident in Sweden.

The character would think of this, as his mom, a tourist in Sweden, dies in a boating accident, around Midsummer. Specifically she falls off one of those taxi ferries that takes people to the various islands across which Sweden is built. But he could just think of the general probability of dying in a boat accident in Sweden.

The MC is kind of a math weirdo, so he might calculate of all the variations mentioned in the post above. But it boils down to a tourist in Sweden who gets on a boat during the Midsummer season.

Again, whichever angle is easiest to calculate is fine and as many angles, as I'm putting this in his thoughts and he would consider all possibilities--he's a nerd. The mother is 48 when she dies.

Many, many thanks,

Laurie

I am from Stockholm, Sweden. Practically grew up in the Archipelagoes, and have spent entire summers, even half winters, out there. The taxi-boats you are talking about are very safe. It would be highly unlikely that a tourist fell off one of those and died. The crews onboard those vessels are well educated in both manouvering the vessels and to perform rescue-missions, should something happen. They also often require people to sit inside, which reduces the odds of an accident to practically zero.

Had she been onboard a private vessel; small sailboat or speedboat, it wouldn't sound entirely impossible that she might have fallen off and eventually died. There is so much traffic in the Archipelagoes during Midsummer that her screams for help could have gone unheard. But then, of course, one would have to wonder why nobody would have noticed, had she been a guest onboard. And one also has to consider that the middle-aged in general are somewhat calmer than the 'wild youths'.

If this is supposed to happen in the Baltic Archipelagoes, it might also be a probability that she could have been crushed by one of the giant ferries if she was in very poor luck, and if she fell off in one of the navigable channels they use. The probability for this, however, is very, very low.

In general, I would say that seafaring in the Archipelagoes of Sweden is quite safe. Most people who own boats are fairly aware of both danger and risks. That doesn't mean that accidents never happen, but they mostly involve minor injuries, and damage to the vessels.

One of the more common reason for drowning accidents are men pee-ing over the railing and lose balance from swells from other vessels. The Swedes really party for Midsummer and accidents like that do happen. More unlikely, though, to involve women, as they normally use a bucket inside, if the vessel is not equipped with a toilet.

If one moves to the Archipelagoes in the Swedish Southwest, one might consider the fact that the water is a lot colder there, and that she might have cramped and drowned because of that. The traffic on the water around Midsummer is just as heavy there, as it is in the Baltic Sea. The Archipelagoes of southwestern Sweden are also a lot rougher, more naked and quite dangerous.

In the Baltic Sea the islands lie closer, it's more lush and there are less cliffs. There are more shallows, though. But since the water isn't as deep, and because the North Sea isn't hammering the coastline, the water is "gentler". It's also bracken, which means that swallowing some water wouldn't be as bad, as if you swallowed a mouthful on the westcoast, where the water is salty.

Then there are the Archipelagoes of the Northeastern parts of Sweden, way up there in the Baltic Sea. Around the time of Midsummer, the boating traffic would be heavy there as well. The water is really could up there, but not salty at all. If she was really clumsy, and fell off a boat up there, she might freeze and drown.

Into all of the above, though, one must not forget that the sun doesn't really set around Midsummer in Sweden. It woudl be light. Of course, in the Stockholm and Gothenburgh area, it will be dusky, but not pitch black which would mean that it makes it easier to find someone in the water.

If I were to give an advice, I would suggest that her accident ought to have occured on the west coast, around midnight, and from a private vessel.

Laurie Champion

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www-rohan.sdsu.edu
I am from Stockholm, Sweden. Practically grew up in the Archipelagoes, and have spent entire summers, even half winters, out there. The taxi-boats you are talking about are very safe. It would be highly unlikely that a tourist fell off one of those and died. The crews onboard those vessels are well educated in both manouvering the vessels and to perform rescue-missions, should something happen. They also often require people to sit inside, which reduces the odds of an accident to practically zero.

Had she been onboard a private vessel; small sailboat or speedboat, it wouldn't sound entirely impossible that she might have fallen off and eventually died. There is so much traffic in the Archipelagoes during Midsummer that her screams for help could have gone unheard. But then, of course, one would have to wonder why nobody would have noticed, had she been a guest onboard. And one also has to consider that the middle-aged in general are somewhat calmer than the 'wild youths'.

If this is supposed to happen in the Baltic Archipelagoes, it might also be a probability that she could have been crushed by one of the giant ferries if she was in very poor luck, and if she fell off in one of the navigable channels they use. The probability for this, however, is very, very low.

In general, I would say that seafaring in the Archipelagoes of Sweden is quite safe. Most people who own boats are fairly aware of both danger and risks. That doesn't mean that accidents never happen, but they mostly involve minor injuries, and damage to the vessels.

One of the more common reason for drowning accidents are men pee-ing over the railing and lose balance from swells from other vessels. The Swedes really party for Midsummer and accidents like that do happen. More unlikely, though, to involve women, as they normally use a bucket inside, if the vessel is not equipped with a toilet.

If one moves to the Archipelagoes in the Swedish Southwest, one might consider the fact that the water is a lot colder there, and that she might have cramped and drowned because of that. The traffic on the water around Midsummer is just as heavy there, as it is in the Baltic Sea. The Archipelagoes of southwestern Sweden are also a lot rougher, more naked and quite dangerous.

In the Baltic Sea the islands lie closer, it's more lush and there are less cliffs. There are more shallows, though. But since the water isn't as deep, and because the North Sea isn't hammering the coastline, the water is "gentler". It's also bracken, which means that swallowing some water wouldn't be as bad, as if you swallowed a mouthful on the westcoast, where the water is salty.

Then there are the Archipelagoes of the Northeastern parts of Sweden, way up there in the Baltic Sea. Around the time of Midsummer, the boating traffic would be heavy there as well. The water is really could up there, but not salty at all. If she was really clumsy, and fell off a boat up there, she might freeze and drown.

Into all of the above, though, one must not forget that the sun doesn't really set around Midsummer in Sweden. It woudl be light. Of course, in the Stockholm and Gothenburgh area, it will be dusky, but not pitch black which would mean that it makes it easier to find someone in the water.

If I were to give an advice, I would suggest that her accident ought to have occured on the west coast, around midnight, and from a private vessel.

Thanks, makes a lot of sense!

Yeah, I hear all those warnings about peeing off the sides of the boats in Finland.

Thanks for the info. Something to think about.

And yes, Midsummer is such a blast there. We were there last Midsummer, in the Archipelagos and had a wonderful time. My son married a Finnish woman. I love the Scandinavians. Cheers to you, and thanks again!!

Kippis!! (sorry, don't know the Swedish word)

Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.