The New Film, 3:10 to Yuma

Don Allen

Seeking a Sanctuary of Intelligence
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, i just seen this flick last night and I got to tell you if you'd like to see a good ol' throw back western, ala John Wayne, go check this thing out with Russell Crow, (he is not allowed to have a phone to throw in this movie) I enjoyed the hell out of it.........

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
The writers are also pretty active on Internet message boards, so you'll find them if you google .. and you'll be able to tell them how much you liked it in person.

Mind you - I saw an old 'movie'/TV pilot by the same writers on TV last night ... and it was terrible.

I'd like to think that it was massacred by everyone else in the production process....

Mac

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
I should have gone to see Yuma tonight. My friend and I went to go see Shoot 'Em Up instead. We walked out after 45 minutes. It was like Kill Bill, but not funny. Take out the funny and all you've got is an extremely pointless action flick where every last scene is so over dramatized and unbelievable it's got you sayin... wtf?

Thanks for the tip, next weekend I'm going western! Yee Haw!

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Man I wish this thread had been in the movies forum so I'd have known what it was generally about!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Man I wish this thread had been in the movies forum so I'd have known what it was generally about!
Great point.

This thread originated in TIO and was moved here. We can tweak the title, if Don doesn't mind, and see how the discussion goes. It's just a short hop to the Movies forum if more folks would rather see it there.

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
Well wherever this thread ends up, I too went to see this movie today and I loved it. I'm a big fan of old westerns and this movie definitely stayed true to that spirit. Felt like I was watching a John Wayne flick with my dad or something. :) And yeah... it was really good. I loved how understated the whole thing was-- I'm so tired of movies that shove the moral in your face like you're too stupid to get it. This one had a lot of different levels and I spent a long time after coming out of the theatre thinking through them. Love a movie that makes me think.

The one funny thing though was that the entire theatre was filled with people sixty and up. My husband and I, in our twenties, felt really weird. :)

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wasn't the original movie an Elmore Leonard script?
As confirmed above, yeah, based on one of his short stories. Leonard isn't nearly as well known for his westerns as he is for his crime stories, but the westerns are every bit as good. It's also a remake of the original film starring Glenn Ford and Van Heflin, from half a century ago, and a dang fine remake it is, too.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Glenn Ford was good. And don't you think it's interesting that they cast an Aussie (Russell Crowe) and a Brit (Christian Bale) in a classic western remake? I find the casting extremely interesting.

III

rockin the suburbs
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jayyoungweb.com
Can't wait to see it. I idolize Christian Bale just a little more than I hate Russel Crowe, so the movie's got a clean slate for me going in.

And Az - shame on you for seeing Shoot 'Em Up. I'm proud of you for walking out on it, but you've just funded the enemy. I recommend you watch Sideways now to get a fresh, clean Paul Giamatti taste in your mouth.

Bmwhtly

Yes, I'm back.
Registered
Reaction score
The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of
It's also a remake of the original film starring Glenn Ford and Van Heflin, from half a century ago, and a dang fine remake it is, too.
It's been a point of discussion (on this threads twin in the western forum) as to whether it IS a remake, or if it's a fresh translation of the source material.
(like The Thing).

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's been a point of discussion (on this threads twin in the western forum) as to whether it IS a remake, or if it's a fresh translation of the source material.
(like The Thing).
Ah, these are always interesting discussions. I am aware of the old movie, but never saw it, so I wouldn't be able to offer up an opinion there. Mebbe I'll drop by that thread for the educational value. :)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Glenn Ford was good. And don't you think it's interesting that they cast an Aussie (Russell Crowe) and a Brit (Christian Bale) in a classic western remake? I find the casting extremely interesting.
I watched Batman Begins last night. Do any actual Americans star in that? Except for Katie Holmes and Morgan Freeman? I thought that casting was a bit curious.