PDA

View Full Version : Backstory in query

Andre_Laurent
09-10-2007, 01:21 AM
I have a query problem. In order for the query to make sense, I need to include some backstory in the query but I get the feeling this isn't a good thing to do. How do I handle this?

I have this character who was killed before the opening of the ms and if I don't throw the backstory in, then the current detail of him escaping hell and wanting revenge leaves questions....like why he wants to come back and get revenge on the guy who killed him.

Feeling like an igit.

Just Me 2021
09-10-2007, 02:20 AM
Can you write the back story in one sentence? Like "After John the safari guide was gored to death by a rhinoceros in Tanzania, he found himself in Hell..."

I wouldn't allow myself more than one line of back story.

Just my opinion...

ishtar'sgate
09-10-2007, 02:28 AM
I have a query problem. In order for the query to make sense, I need to include some backstory in the query but I get the feeling this isn't a good thing to do. How do I handle this?

I have this character who was killed before the opening of the ms and if I don't throw the backstory in, then the current detail of him escaping hell and wanting revenge leaves questions....like why he wants to come back and get revenge on the guy who killed him.

Feeling like an igit.
Don't see your problem. If someone COULD come back from hell to revenge his murder I don't think he'd need much of a reason for doing so. He's dead! In hell! All you need is the briefest of explanations. So and so killed him (shot him, stabbed him, ran over him with a truck). He has the ability to come back and revenge his own death. Very little else needs to be said about it.
Linnea

Andre_Laurent
09-10-2007, 02:28 AM
I've got two sentences, maybe I can cut it down to one.

ORION
09-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Sounds like you should run your query by the people in Share your Work...That few sentence pitch in the query letter is always tough. Many times you think you need to give more information than you really do- I know my back flap copy is always harder to write than anything else but when you get it right -- boy do people want to read your book!

Andre_Laurent
09-10-2007, 02:46 AM
Sounds like you should run your query by the people in Share your Work...That few sentence pitch in the query letter is always tough. Many times you think you need to give more information than you really do- I know my back flap copy is always harder to write than anything else but when you get it right -- boy do people want to read your book!
I have one out there that I am trying to fix...thus the question. I HATE query letters.