What do YOU do while your work is on submission?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaidaJones

Needs a spicy avatar - PM submissions to Mac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ladyjaida.livejournal.com
This is a two-pronged question; I realized that while writing up the title. It's partly a question of "What do you do while your work is on submission" in the sense of...what should a person do? What can a person do? And it's partly a question of "What do YOU do while your work is on submission" in the sense of...what do you personally do? How do you distract yourself?

I waste a lot of time on the internet. I know that it's best to keep distracted with more writing--and I've tried that, too. I've tried throwing myself into academic work (ha, ha, then I end up back on the internet, wasting time). I've even tried making millions of flavors of home-made ice cream.

Any tips? Any tricks? Any fun places for internet time wasting? ;)

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I look at houses on realtor.com. If you want to really dream, check out the ones on luxuryrealestate.com.

But yeah, best thing to do is write something else.

JaidaJones

Needs a spicy avatar - PM submissions to Mac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ladyjaida.livejournal.com
Yep! Writing the next piece is always the way to go, and definitely the most distracting. But then, there are times when you don't have enough time to dedicate yourself to writing the next project, but just enough time to obsess...

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
This is a two-pronged question; I realized that while writing up the title. It's partly a question of "What do you do while your work is on submission" in the sense of...what should a person do? What can a person do? And it's partly a question of "What do YOU do while your work is on submission" in the sense of...what do you personally do? How do you distract yourself?

I waste a lot of time on the internet. I know that it's best to keep distracted with more writing--and I've tried that, too. I've tried throwing myself into academic work (ha, ha, then I end up back on the internet, wasting time). I've even tried making millions of flavors of home-made ice cream.

I work on my next writing project. It's the best distraction I've seen, and it is very productive, too.

I'll also do artwork, which I love immensely.

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
I obsess until I hear something back from the publisher. I write late at night when I know the publisher is sleeping, and then we both wake up and I obess some more until nightfall.

Or I drink...;)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't think about the work I have on submission. I quite often forget what I have out there until the reply comes back. And I always write...so while my stuff is out, I'm writing other stuff.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I look at houses on realtor.com. If you want to really dream, check out the ones on luxuryrealestate.com.

But yeah, best thing to do is write something else.

Yes, the moment I either hit "Send" or I drop it in the mail box, my mind immediately starts spending all the money I'll make. I dream about the new, larger (basement leak free) house we'll buy. I dream of the newer (newer than 1996) car I'll get. I dream about getting out of debt. I dream about being able to finally say "Yes" when my family wants to do something that costs money. I dream of being financially secure. I dream and dream and dream...

which is probably why rejections hit me so hard. It crashes all my dreams against the hard wall of reality.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
My mind is usually partially on my next project anyway so I just start on it when I've submitted the last one. Maybe that's because rejection and acceptance form a dizzying little circle. It comes back, I send it out again. It comes back, I send it out again. It gets accepted, I send out something else and on and on and on.:D
Linnea

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I've got so much going on right now, there's not time to worry about what's out there. I try to remind myself to periodically look at my submission tracker to check the TAT's on the things that are out there. Usually, I end up doing this when I've finished something new that needs to be submitted or when I get an acceptance or rejection back and need to update the information in SONAR.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I write another book or story. I rework other stories and submit them. I go on vacations. I go out with friends. I live life. I certainly don't sit around fussing over the submission.

Mainly, I have at least 4 or 5 different projects in various stages of progress.

Susan Breen

Registered
Reaction score
I work on something new. I'm always convinced the new thing I'm working on is better than the last thing, so if I get rejected I figure that's okay because the next one will be accepted.

PenTeller

Registered
Reaction score
Work on the sequel.

Work out my aggresssion by playing/watching sports.

Travel.

I think of something. Though I still spend way too much time obsessing over what I submitted.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
submission

I submit and forget. Then I get to work instantly on the next project. Waiting does no one any good.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I get it in the mail and then dance around with expectation until my roommate beans me with a sofa cushion. Then we celebrate with a beloved DVD and real popcorn with real butter, and I go to bed. By the time I'm driving to work the next day, I'm reviewing other ideas for the next book and get going on the next one.

While that's in the final process of simmering, I'll catch up on the latest afghan I'm crocheting, read tons of books and put in some OT and maybe take a long weekend vacation. Within a couple-three weeks, it's back to the writing again because the new book's had time to gestate and the creative well has refilled.

Is there any other way to live? LOL!

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
I figure out which other deadline I'm most behind on, and then I work on that.... :)

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I dress the carrots up in discarded GI Joe uniforms and lead them on an assault on the beets.

Very sneaky, those beets. I think the corn is spying for them.

emsuniverse

Back to freelancing again...
Registered
Reaction score
I work on my next story or idea.

I do some general web surfing (in the name of research, I swear!).

I crochet very cute baby hats for charity.

I check my email every ten minutes.

I send myself emails to see if my email is working.

birdfeeder

Registered
Reaction score
I have two manuscripts requested by four agents, and an editor is also looking at one of them. At the same time, I've got a few short stories circulating.

This situation can almost block a writer. Just because a work is being considered doesn't mean it will be accepted. (I've come very close before only to be disappointed.) So I find myself right now mostly involved in marketing the work.

I'm also a compulsive email checker!

Status
Not open for further replies.