PDA

View Full Version : The Toothpaste Problem

aruna
09-09-2007, 08:49 PM
Toothpaste is in the UK and AW won't let her in. She has tried it on several computers. Not just logging in - she can't get on to the site AT ALL.

I pm'd Mac but no reply. What do you think?

Williebee
09-09-2007, 08:54 PM
Wondered how long it would take her to find out mwahahahahaha

Guess she could go to Scarlet's place.

Is she getting an error? A "Site blocked" page? Or just a "Site can't be found" message?

And has she tried computers from more than one location, as in not just several machines in the library, a hotel or a school? It actually can make a difference (due to DNS and other dark magics.)

aruna
09-09-2007, 08:59 PM
Toothpaste says:

I can't get there at all. The computers I've tried think about it for a moment, and then I get a page that says the site was not responding.

RumpleTumbler
09-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Have her try to go to 69.13.227.201 and see what she gets.

Carrie in PA
09-09-2007, 09:06 PM
Make sure she dumps her cookies and clears her cache.

maestrowork
09-09-2007, 09:15 PM
Blame Dawno, of course.

Dawno
09-09-2007, 09:16 PM
Has she tried just surfing to http://www.absolutewrite.com and then hitting the "forums" button at the top of the page?

Haggis
09-09-2007, 09:17 PM
Blame Dawno, of course.

It's always Dawno's fault.

aruna
09-09-2007, 09:24 PM
OK, thanks everyone, I've sent the suggestions on to her. But do keep em coming!

Dawno
09-09-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm going to post a message to the forum admins, too, to check her account - could be an IP block that was intended to stop spammers and caught her block of IPs or any number of other things - I haven't seen ChunkyC online this morning, but maybe he'll check in.

Sean D. Schaffer
09-09-2007, 10:18 PM
I wonder if this is why Mac hasn't been here in a while?

Could it be they're suffering the same problem?

Danger Jane
09-09-2007, 11:05 PM
I said paste, man.

I mean didn't you hear about that toxic chinese toothpaste?

Don't get toothpaste from the dollar store that says MADE IN SOUTH AFRLCA like, spelled wrong. YOU COULD DIE

Obviously AW is trying to save us.

ETA: OMG DAWNO CAN YOU LOCK THE INNATE TALENTS THREAD BEFORE MY SOUL WHITHERS???

Sean D. Schaffer
09-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Snipped...

ETA: OMG DAWNO CAN YOU LOCK THE INNATE TALENTS THREAD BEFORE MY SOUL WHITHERS???

You mean the one over in 'Writing Novels'? The one where Dclary went off in search of Gordon Jerome to get the thread locked? That thread?

:D

Unique
09-09-2007, 11:20 PM
It's always Dawno's fault.
since 1957 .. or there abouts ..

Danger Jane
09-09-2007, 11:47 PM
You mean the one over in 'Writing Novels'? The one where Dclary went off in search of Gordon Jerome to get the thread locked? That thread?

Did he try googling gordonjerome?

Or, like, Osama Bin Laden?

Dawno
09-09-2007, 11:53 PM
If you folk want the the conversation in "innate talents" to stop - then STOP POSTING THERE!!

dclary
09-09-2007, 11:54 PM

Hey it worked didn't it? Just evoking the name summoned AKA back from vacation, just to lock it. :D

Joe270
09-09-2007, 11:55 PM
I'm going to post a message to the forum admins, too, to check her account - could be an IP block that was intended to stop spammers and caught her block of IPs or any number of other things - I haven't seen ChunkyC online this morning, but maybe he'll check in.

Flee, Toothpaste, they're ganging up on you!

Oh, yeah, no AW for Toothpaste, so my warning will go unheard. . .except by those who can block me out of AW. Hmmm.

Anyone got some distracting kitten pictures?

scarletpeaches
09-09-2007, 11:57 PM
I had this problem on another site that uses the same software as AW. It was an IP block, and solved by emailing the guy who runs the site; just as well I had his other contact details. But I've never heard of a site blocking all other IPs but your home one.

Also, I'm most displeased at the innate talents thread being locked less than half an hour before I got back to the computer.

I know it wasn't Dawno who did it, but I'm blaming you anyway, oh sparkly one! :D

Carrie in PA
09-09-2007, 11:58 PM
If you folk want the the conversation in "innate talents" to stop - then STOP POSTING THERE!!

Innate? Oh. What a disappointment. I thought it was inane. :D

Rolling Thunder
09-09-2007, 11:59 PM
This is what happens when toothpaste tries to squeeze her way into AW from the wrong end of the globe.

Sean D. Schaffer
09-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Hey it worked didn't it? Just evoking the name summoned AKA back from vacation, just to lock it. :D

That it did. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

MacAllister
09-10-2007, 09:45 AM
Mac's been traveling for the last couple of weeks, is all -- and I'm still buried about 40 PMs behind, in terms of answering. :)

I'll go and check Toothpaste's IP information right now, though, and make sure there hasn't been an accidental block. And thank you, Aruna!

Sean D. Schaffer
09-10-2007, 09:51 AM
Mac's been traveling for the last couple of weeks, is all -- and I'm still buried about 40 PMs behind, in terms of answering. :)

I'll go and check Toothpaste's IP information right now, though, and make sure there hasn't been an accidental block. And thank you, Aruna!

MAC!!!! It's good to see you again! We've been really concerned about you.

:Hug2:

MacAllister
09-10-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks, Sean. :) I should be home for a couple of weeks, I think. Missed you guys, too.

aruna
09-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Welcome back! And thanks for looking at the problem.