Professional looking page headers for a POD book

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I’d like to have different even and odd headers for a Lulu book, and I’d also like to suppress those headers for the first page of new chapters. Anyone know an easy way to do this in Word?

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I’d like to have different even and odd headers for a Lulu book, and I’d also like to suppress those headers for the first page of new chapters. Anyone know an easy way to do this in Word?
Easy enough.

Use section breaks. (Insert, Break, and pick the type.) In page setup (File, Page setup) check boxes for different first page and different even and odd. Use a new section break for each chapter. Then insert what you want in the headers section by section. Be sure to turn off "same as previous" as you move from one section to the next unless you want the same header repeated from previous section.

Section breaks can be next page, even page, odd page. Choose odd page if you want each chapter to start on a right-hand page. Else choose next page.

Once you get the hang of how section breaks (and the corresponding use of headers and footers) work, it is just simple mechanics.

--Ken

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, RG! I was doing all that, but I'd missed the "different first page" bit.