Question about second query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie Champion

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www-rohan.sdsu.edu
Last Feb. I sent a requested partial to an agent. He declined to see the full manuscript and wrote a thoughtful, professional letter. He seemed really interested in the novel (before seeing it, of course--LOL).

Anyway, I've since rewritten most of the novel, a major rewrite, including changing the order of chapters and making it move forward to eliminate excessive backstory. Also, I've corrected the problem he mentioned, among several other problems, including performing some class-a tightening, etc. I know sometimes editors decline for reasons in addition to those stated, and a professional as he seemed might have just mentioned one to keep it kind. So by all means I'm not naive enough to think "I fixed it, he'll love it."

However, the novel is so much stronger now, which leads to my question: would be worthwhile to write him and asked if he'd be interested in looking at a revised partial? I don't think it would be a good idea to send it unsolicited, even though it was once upon a time asked for.

I have nothing to lose, and I don't know why I'm not comfortable asking. I'm quite accustomed to making a fool of myself, so I don't think that's the fear.

I guess I'm asking for advice on how to approach the agent.

Anyone had any experience with this? Any suggestions?

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see why it would hurt. Just explain that because of his thoughtful and informative letter, you took another look at your novel and realized it could use some more work. Tell him what you did to it (like you explained in your post) and ask if he would be interested in re-reading a partial.

What can it hurt? Just keep your letter very professional and I don't see why he would be upset at another query.

Status
Not open for further replies.