FIRST DRAFT IS DONE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
I have completed the first draft of my novel, PREEK. It's 62,548 words (yay for finally having a novel that's not way too short for the market) and is 250 pages. I don't know why I included the page number; it's just because it seemed hefty, probably.

I think I've been working on it since June, but I really don't remember. You would think I'd keep track of these things, but nope, I don't.

Anyway, just wanted to congratulate myself. Hurrah.

Also, congratulations to roskoebaby for completing her novel in a week. That's freaking ridiculous and unnatural, but still, congratulations to her!

Anyone else nearing completion of their first drafts? It's so exciting to get near the end. I've been thinking, you're almost there, you're almost there, for days. Now I'm there!

roskoebaby

I have completed the first draft of my novel, PREEK. It's 62,548 words (yay for finally having a novel that's not way too short for the market) and is 250 pages. I don't know why I included the page number; it's just because it seemed hefty, probably.

I think I've been working on it since June, but I really don't remember. You would think I'd keep track of these things, but nope, I don't.

Anyway, just wanted to congratulate myself. Hurrah.

Also, congratulations to roskoebaby for completing her novel in a week. That's freaking ridiculous and unnatural, but still, congratulations to her!

Anyone else nearing completion of their first drafts? It's so exciting to get near the end. I've been thinking, you're almost there, you're almost there, for days. Now I'm there!

Aw, thanks for the shout out! That's a perfect word count by the way. And the title is good. I dig it. Have you written the query for it yet. I like to mess with people's queries, so let me know if you post it!

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, both Provrb1810meggy and Roskoebaby on your recently finished novels!

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
To Roskoebaby:

Ah, don't even get me thinking about that yet! I still have a massive rewrite, overhaul, revision, editing mess to think about.

And you're welcome.

To Sage:

Thanks!

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
YA MAN

AWESOME

SO COOL

GREAT

WHAT A GOOD WORD COUNT

I AM SO PROUD

YAH

I'm half done with my third draft.

OverTheHills&FarAway

McNifico
Registered
Reaction score
Woo hoo! Yay! Finishing is a great feeling! Congrats and don't even THINK about that revision stuff yet....

:PartySmil

I'm NOT half-finished with my third draft. But...someday. It will be complete.

Xx|e|ph|e|me|r|al|xX

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm less than half finished...maybe...no...barely a quarter finished. Nearing barely a quarter? Heh...

But CONGRATULATIONS! *jealous* To both of you. :D I'll get there one day. *plots*

JLCwrites

Registered
Reaction score
:hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray: :hooray:

Way to go! That is fantastic!
Now go out and celebrate!
Woohoo! Woohoo! Woohoo!

:e2woo::e2woo:

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everybody! Thanks for being so nice. It was a little bit too late to celebrate last night, and now I'm not in the celebrating mood. I don't feel as excited about being done as I have with other novels. The novelty is wearing off, I guess. I'm more excited that while PREEK is sitting, waiting to be revised, I could start a new project. Yay!

Shady Lane

my name is hannah
Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome! Congratulations! And that word count is like a work of art.

And roskoe is clearly a beast and I'm glad she's gracing us with her precense.

I should have my 1st draft finished in the next two weeks or so. But I'm stuck in one of those stages when you totally hate the book and want to kill yourself, soooooo it might be a little longer.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
done with paper edits on my third draft of SG!

wheee!

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm hoping to be finished with HEVN SNT by NaNo. At the rate I was going last week it was no problem. At the rate I'm going this weekend, it's not going to happen. However, I will be done with the end of it by then. Just have to go back & write the beginning & the other scenes.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Wow what a good length. I envy your length.
It's really good for YA, but a little short for non-YA (in the agents' eyes. I was more likely to read longer books when I was a teen than now, but that's another matter). When shooting for 50K during NaNo, I wrote books at 60K both years, & I guess my subconscious decided that HEVN SNT should be about the same length as AFTRLYF. I'd like to add a subplot to AFTRLYF, but the ones in there are all so well-integrated into the plot that I can't imagine working in something else & making it look like anything other than something I tacked on later.

My fanfics felt novel length, but were usually about 30K. I could have made a novel out of the trilogies though, if I combined all three parts. You know, if they weren't fanfic ;)

Ironically, I came to AW looking for an acceptable word count range for EoS. It was too long. Halfway done & it was about 90K. It's now 116K, and was 130K when I finished. I don't even want to consider the length it would have been if I hadn't taken a knife to the first several chapters before I was done writing it.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
It's really good for YA, but a little short for non-YA (in the agents' eyes. I was more likely to read longer books when I was a teen than now, but that's another matter). When shooting for 50K during NaNo, I wrote books at 60K both years, & I guess my subconscious decided that HEVN SNT should be about the same length as AFTRLYF. I'd like to add a subplot to AFTRLYF, but the ones in there are all so well-integrated into the plot that I can't imagine working in something else & making it look like anything other than something I tacked on later.

My fanfics felt novel length, but were usually about 30K. I could have made a novel out of the trilogies though, if I combined all three parts. You know, if they weren't fanfic ;)

Ironically, I came to AW looking for an acceptable word count range for EoS. It was too long. Halfway done & it was about 90K. It's now 116K, and was 130K when I finished. I don't even want to consider the length it would have been if I hadn't taken a knife to the first several chapters before I was done writing it.

Hmm. Well I seem to be stuck in novellas. Oh well, at least I'm not getting all invested in something LONG that sucks. Just something short.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Well I seem to be stuck in novellas. Oh well, at least I'm not getting all invested in something LONG that sucks. Just something short.
Aw, I'm sure they don't suck. Give a longer story a try!

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, I'm sure they don't suck. Give a longer story a try!

I don't mean for them to be so short. That's just how they turn out. I just write until the conflict goes UUUP and then until it is resolved. Seems to be about 30,000 words. Maybe I can figure out a way to package them together. Then it'd be LONG!

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
Can I be excited that my final draft is done?

That is, until Roskoebaby rereads the last chapter and tells me it stinks. Heh.

SinkFulloDishes

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to both of you!

I've finally slogged through the mid-novel slump on Finders Keepers, and I know exactly what's going on from here on out. It actually feels EXCITING again :D. Now, if only my children would stop pestering me for things like meals when I'm trying to write, maybe it'll be done sometime this decade...:tongue

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone needs to stop finishing things! It's making me feel less productive!

I'm just kidding, congrats to you too, writermom

writermom

Avada Kedavra
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

And congrats to Meggy and Roskoe for finishing too! I can't beleive that I didn't write that last time. My brain must be on meltdown.

Status
Not open for further replies.