PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Quick!

BrookieCookie777
09-09-2007, 04:41 AM
Hi guys,

I have a feeling I am about to recieve an offer from an agent soon - as in next week. The agent has been emailng me a lot lately. They have been giving me all the same questions that I recieved from my children's agency before I signed with them the following week. They are a great agency - but my first pick is still reading my partial. What do you do in this case if you get an offer? Is it poor manners to write and inform your first choice only that you have an offer but would really like to see where she stands before you agree?

Thanks guys!

Brookie

Little Red Barn
09-09-2007, 04:53 AM
"I would thank Agency B (second choice) for their interest in representing you, then ask for references from current clients, perhaps a sample copy of their contract (if they have one), and maybe a few words about how they would work with you so that you can decide if you're compatible. Then promise to have your answer by x date (a week or two), all the while reassuring them of your excitement at being a chosen one.

Then you can call or email Agency A (first choice) and let them know you've received an offer of representation and ask them what they have decided.

Then you'll know where you stand. As long as you didn't promise either agency an exclusive, they assume other agents are looking at your stuff, and it's no surprise to anyone that you want to make the best choice for yourself, and to do that you need as much information as you can get."

I saved this from someone posting before--good protocal!

Good luck!!!!

BrookieCookie777
09-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks Kimmi! This is very helpful. Thanks a million! =)

God bless!

Southern_girl29
09-09-2007, 07:18 PM
I just read on one agent's blog (maybe Jenny Bent) that she had offered to sign a writer but was having to wait for the writer to correspond with other agents and for the writer to make up her mind who she wanted to go with. I think honesty is the best policy all the way around here.

BrookieCookie777
09-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks Southern Writer. =)

Andrew Zack
10-06-2007, 04:15 AM
One presumes that enthusiasm counts. If agency B read it before agency A, then agency B should get to represent the book. Why submit to them if you weren't willing to accept representation if they offered it? There is a "you snooze, you lose" element to publishing. Presuming the commission rates are the same and so there's no money issues, I'd reward the enthusiasm of the agency who responded first.

Z

Carrie R.
10-06-2007, 08:09 AM
Exciting news! I agree with what Kimmi et al. said -- that's exactly what I did: got the offer, talked to the agent on the phone and send an email to everyone else with material letting them know I had an offer of representation and asking if they were still interested and if so could they could get back to me within a week. Most agents accept this as pretty common.

One presumes that enthusiasm counts. If agency B read it before agency A, then agency B should get to represent the book. Why submit to them if you weren't willing to accept representation if they offered it? There is a "you snooze, you lose" element to publishing. Presuming the commission rates are the same and so there's no money issues, I'd reward the enthusiasm of the agency who responded first.

Z
I disagree with what Andrew Z. said -- I don't think you need to accept the first offer of representation you get. Yes, I don't think you should submit to an agent you aren't interested in working with, but I look at this more like applying to college: if you want to make sure you get in, you need to apply to a variety of places. You could do great at any one of those colleges, but if you're lucky to have a choice, there's no reason not to compare in order to make a decision. Just because one agent happened to read the material first doesn't mean they're more enthusiastic-- just that they had more time on their hands, etc.

BrookieCookie777
10-07-2007, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the advice guys and gals. Very helpful indeed. God bless you guys!

=)

ORION
10-07-2007, 07:12 AM
I agree with Andrew (after all he is an agent!). Your relationship with an agent is really important - enthusiasm counts-
Especially if it takes a while to sell your book.

Carrie R.
10-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Your relationship with an agent is really important - enthusiasm counts-
Especially if it takes a while to sell your book.

I agree that enthusiasm totally counts -- if your agent doesn't love your book, how is he or she going to be able to convince others to love it? A lot of times, you can figure out how enthusiastic an agent is simply by talking to them on the phone. However, I also think that just because an agent offered first doesn't mean that other agents won't be just as -- or more -- enthusiastic about the project.

BrookieCookie777
10-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Many thanks for all your wonderful advice, guys! As always . . .what would I do without you guys? =)

Maryn
10-26-2007, 05:22 PM
I've been watching this. How'd it turn out? Or is it still in progress?

Maryn, nosey