Loss of a Pet

AllyWoof

Becoming a Serious Writer!
Registered
Reaction score
This week my family lost something very special. Our ten year old mixed dog named Squirtle. I'm not sure who it's been hardest on. My parents and me or our remaining dog, Missy. Even more devistating is knowing Missy will be dieing of jaw cancer shortly. Mom's already started looking for new puppies. This makes me sad because I now wonder if she cared about these pups. Thanks for reading this rant people.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pets, on the whole, die before we do.

For your own sake, start understanding that.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I'm sorry to hear about your loss. Dogs are really special to their people.

I would imagine that your mom really does care, but sometimes if there is something new to focus your energy on, say a puppy in this case, it helps ease some of the pain from losing your dogs.

Just remember that you'll always have those great memories of your special pets.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
The only time they hurt us is when they have to go... your mom cares. We all have different ways of dealing with the things that hurt us most. ((Hugs)) for all of you, including Missy.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
Pets, on the whole, die before we do.

For your own sake, start understanding that.
I know this. Doesn't make it any easier, though.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had to put down one of my cats last week who hadn't had an unhealthy day in 15 years. I had to put down three other pets in the past 30 years. I'm training my youngest dog on how to go about putting me down if I'm destined to go before her.

Suck it up.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
I'll remember this if you ever put a venting post up.

AllyWoof

Registered
Reaction score
I had to put down one of my cats last week who hadn't had an unhealthy day in 15 years. I had to put down three other pets in the past 30 years. I'm training my youngest dog on how to go about putting me down if I'm destined to go before her.

Suck it up.
I'm guessing you didn't love your pets.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
This week my family lost something very special. Our ten year old mixed dog named Squirtle. I'm not sure who it's been hardest on. My parents and me or our remaining dog, Missy. Even more devistating is knowing Missy will be dieing of jaw cancer shortly. Mom's already started looking for new puppies. This makes me sad because I now wonder if she cared about these pups. Thanks for reading this rant people.

Condolences, writerdog. Losing a pet is never easy. I'm sure your mom loved Squirtle. This is her way of coping with the loss.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score

:Hug2:
PM me your last name so I can add you to my friends (myspace)

Getting a new puppy is a way to cope with losing a much-loved pet. I know it's hard to think of giving your love to a new puppy, especially with the reality of death so fresh in your mind, but give the new one a chance, let it into your heart, and you'll find Squirtle there, too, wanting you to be happy again.

Your mom's probably just trying to be strong for you.

Last edited:

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writerdog and all else who can't figure shit out--again, suck it up.

Was the dog euthanized, writerdog? Were you there in the room stroking the dog when the vet euthanized it? I did--all four.

Aadams, how many pets have you had to put down?

And hey, since "fuck" is now allowed on these boards it doesn't mean you have to masterbate daily.

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
Writerdog.
Try visiting petloss.com. It's a beautiful site dedicated to people who have lost their pets. I spent ages there, crying and reading the tributes when I lost my dog. And if you write your friend a tribute, it'll help somebody else someday.

Sorry about your loss.
I'm not ready to replace him yet and it's been over two years, but everybody is different. Some people find getting a new dog helps them over it.

Rich

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just keep your nails well groomed.

acharity

fantabulous!
Registered
Reaction score
>: I'm sorry to hear about that... it's difficult on everyone with the loss of a family member.

reigningcatsndogs

Too sad for words.
Registered
Reaction score
Missing Writer??? May flights of angels carry you
I'm so sorry! This is a rather current position for me as well. Your mom loved Squirtle. Talking about a puppy is not in any way disrespectful to the memory of you pet. It's her coping mechanism. And you may find that a puppy really helps Missy as well. It's amazing what a puppy or kitten does for an older and/or declining pet -- sort of gives them a whole new lease on life. And your Mom's probably also worried about the rest of the family missing Squirtle, so she's trying to fill a void. There's a big difference between that and replacing one who has gone. Hang in there -- it really will hurt less with time.