How to make a scene?

Try:

* walking around town naked
* throwing a temper-tantrum in a public place
* shoplifting something at Bloomingdales
* telling your mother you're pregnant and he's blind
* asking a group of writers a silly question

Anymore suggestions?

eta: mis-spell the thread title and asking nicely for a mod to correct it.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pretend to speak a foreign language at a place where those who actually speak it are likely to be present, such as Yiddish or Hebrew at the JCC.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
In my early years (teen, that is) I created a scene everywhere I went. It was really easy. I just lived in a city that was completely intolerant of 'different'. I was thrown in front of traffic, pushed down stairs, spat on, pummelled, kicked in the face, banned from certain public places, etc, etc, etc. Just get yourself a mohawk, nose ring, eye-liner, nipple ring, kilt and a pair of chinese slippers and move to early 1980s small town Ontario. That'll do the trick. Create a scene every second.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
- Starting a water-balloon fight at an airport security checkpoint
- Trying on the clothes in a department store without going to the fitting room
- Singing Bohemiam Rhapsody at the top of your lungs on a full public bus

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
In my early years (teen, that is) I created a scene everywhere I went. It was really easy. I just lived in a city that was completely intolerant of 'different'. I was thrown in front of traffic, pushed down stairs, spat on, pummelled, kicked in the face, banned from certain public places, etc, etc, etc. Just get yourself a mohawk, nose ring, eye-liner, nipple ring, kilt and a pair of chinese slippers and move to early 1980s small town Ontario. That'll do the trick. Create a scene every second.
Gives you great material to work with though, yes? Sorry about the sucko shit, really. But you are a very talented person and writer; so able to create a scene easily enough that it's spooky and darn believable.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
- Starting a water-balloon fight at an airport security checkpoint
- Trying on the clothes in a department store without going to the fitting room
Now that's one of my all time fave songs. I'd sing it nude at the Vatican if I thought the pope would notice.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
The pope wouldn't need the singing.

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry...but I think this would just cause a love-in singalong?

A crowded busload of people belting out Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't count as a scene? :)

Actually my cousin did this when we were 17, and while a few brave souls decided to join in, plenty of people just got pissed off, and we were kicked off the bus about a mile from our stop. She was a bit tone-deaf; that may have had something to do with it.

Now that's one of my all time fave songs. I'd sing it nude at the Vatican if I thought the pope would notice.

I think you should do it anyway; I'm sure if he doesn't, plenty of other people will. :D

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
Great...I just found another thread where everyone's getting a rep point b/c "Bohemian Rhapsody" is one of the best. songs. ever. by the best. band. EVER. :)

Okay, okay, I'll start...ready to sing along?

"Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy..."

Who's with me?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
A crowded busload of people belting out Bohemian Rhapsody doesn't count as a scene? :)

Actually my cousin did this when we were 17, and while a few brave souls decided to join in, plenty of people just got pissed off, and we were kicked off the bus about a mile from our stop. She was a bit tone-deaf; that may have had something to do with it.

I think you should do it anyway; I'm sure if he doesn't, plenty of other people will. :D

Lol. It is a scene. Right. I was thinking in another way. That is indeed a crowd scene. I was picturing a scene where everybody reacts in a bad way. lol

I was actually at a restaurant once and the Neil Diamond song Sweet Caroline came on...the entire restaurant broke into song. It was so surreal. I suppose you could say it was a scene?

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Gives you great material to work with though, yes? Sorry about the sucko shit, really. But you are a very talented person and writer; so able to create a scene easily enough that it's spooky and darn believable.

Why, thank you for the kind words. I honestly loved every moment of those good old days. I wouldn't change a thing. I remember once when I was thrown into an oncoming car. The poor old woman who hit me (I dented her hood!) got out and cried and was appalled by the rocker skids who pushed me. Gave a kleenex to dap blood from my knees...really sweet woman. Interacting with her made the rest worthwhile. There is gold in every ugly piece of life.

EriRae

Registered
Reaction score
Why, thank you for the kind words. I honestly loved every moment of those good old days. I wouldn't change a thing. I remember once when I was thrown into an oncoming car. The poor old woman who hit me (I dented her hood!) got out and cried and was appalled by the rocker skids who pushed me. Gave a kleenex to dap blood from my knees...really sweet woman. Interacting with her made the rest worthwhile. There is gold in every ugly piece of life.

Agreed, precious. You've been my piece of gold today. You all have :D I LOVE AW!!!

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
Nah, these are all too much like real life. I did a far more interesting variation of one of those after lying in the sun drinking a whole 40oz bottle of Southern Comfort. But ain't saying more.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I am British, and therefore even if my shoes were on fire in a public place, I would merely murmur 'sorry' to all present and continue sipping my Pimms until my toes were burnt to a crisp.

EriRae

Registered
Reaction score
I have a hard time causing a scene in person. I've caused a few by proxy...e-mails, sending flowers, etc.

My boss used to be my best friend, she got me the job as her direct hire...sorry if you've heard me tell this before. So I quit my job, told her I couldn't work for her any more b/c she was a lazy biotch, and she stopped speaking to me in October of 2006. April 2007, sent her flowers for her birthday, from ????? She spent all day calling around town to all her family and friends, trying to figure out who sent them. And got repremanded for doing nothing all day...LOL!!!

Last edited:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Get some tearful tired hungry little kids.

Go to a crowded mall.

Scream at them.

Spank them.

Drag them off by the ear.

Change your baby's diaper in a really inappropriate place, then make a big deal out of how hard it is for a parent to get by these days. Anti-family bigotry or something.

The most inappropriate place I've seen was a woman changing her baby's diaper on the table at a restaurant. No, it wasn't McD's.

Pretend to speak a foreign language at a place where those who actually speak it are likely to be present, such as Yiddish or Hebrew at the JCC.

looool

Streak at a church, temple, mosque, etc, during worship.

I seem to have a lot of ideas for creating a scene.

(filing them away for possible additions to The Senior Class Prank)

What about singing it at the top of your lungs on the streets of San Francisco?

Because well I've done that. A couple of times.

Oh god I have to move one of these posts. I can't post five times in a row.

ETA: THERE!

Last edited:

plnelson

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pnart.com
Great...I just found another thread where everyone's getting a rep point b/c "Bohemian Rhapsody" is one of the best. songs. ever. by the best. band. EVER. :)

It's too SOON to say whether it counts as a great song. 1975 is too recent!

Truly GREAT music has to be able to cross generational and cultural barriers. Beethoven, say. Or, to take a pop example, "Just a Gigolo". Here's an early version from 1932.

But the classic version of course - the gold standard version - is by Louis Prima in 1956.

But it took the imprimatur of David Lee Roth's version to introduce it to Boomers and the X'ers. But notice that Roth incorporated all of Prima's vocal ornamentations and his swing in his version.

"Bohemian Rhapsody" will achieve greatness when some star from your grandchildren's generation does a version in whatever musical style is popular in 2020.

akiwiguy

AW Inmate #90976
Registered
Reaction score
It's too SOON to say whether it counts as a great song. 1975 is too recent!

I've often thought about this general topic, and have come to the conclusion that although there will perhaps be lots of others, there is one band that I'm absolutely 100% sure will still be acclaimed way way after I'm gone... Pink Floyd. There will be others, but they are one stand-out in terms of their work transcending time and generations.

EriRae

Registered
Reaction score
I've often thought about this general topic, and have come to the conclusion that although there will perhaps be lots of others, there is one band that I'm absolutely 100% sure will still be acclaimed way way after I'm gone... Pink Floyd. There will be others, but they are one stand-out in terms of their work transcending time and generations.

Agreed. The Wall and Dark Side of the Moon. Excellent.