Status
Not open for further replies.

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I'm tryng to come up with chapter titles for my book about our bike trip. When we biked through Mainland Mexico, it was such a totally different experience from what we had been through before that. In the chapter title, we want to somehow make reference to the idea of a different culture, and bring in the idea that it was fasicinating and exciting and all that stuff. But we don't like "Cultural Intrigue" - even though that's exactly what we want to say. Can you think of other words that would capture that idea?? Thanks for your help!

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
The words usually used for this phenomenon are "culture shock." Technically this happens over a period of time but in general it's when you encounter an environment completely different from anything you've known or expected.

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
I want to somehow bring in the idea of our interest and fascination with the other culture we were in the midst of. Culture shock had sort of negative connotations, and I want it in a more positive frame - we loved it and were intrigued by it and all that jazz. But "Cultural Intrigue" sounds kind of dorky!!

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
But they're not after cultural shock, but intrigue, or fascination, with the cultural differences between one part of the foreign country they were traveling in and another part of the same country.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
I know exactly the feeling you're trying to get at. How about Culture Crush - in that you're halfway in love, but don't know it well enough to know if that love is forever.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Eye of the Beholder
Micro-Cultures in Mainlaind Mexico as Experienced Through Bi-Wheel, Manually Powered Travel
The Culture Within
The Inner Culture
Cultural Kaleidoscope

nancy sv

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Wow!! You guys are good! Lots of ideas here for us to mull over. I think you've got the idea of what I want to get at here - we want the chpater title to convey the idea that we are in the midst of a foreign culture, and that it is interesting and fascinating and completely different from what we've experienced so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.