Recommend a Printer

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
My Lexmark (which is an utter piece of cow crap) bit the dust, so later this morning, I'm going to shop for a new printer. What kind of printer do you have, and do you like it? How expensive is the ink? Is it a scanner as well? Can you honestly say you would buy it again?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I bought an HP 5610v from Wal-Mart over a year ago. A bit over a hundred dollars, it copies, faxes and scans. And by refilling the ink myself, I'm still on the original cartridge. I've done this about twenty times, and I figure I've saved some three or four hundred dollars.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a black-only HP LaserJet 1200 printer that I love-love-love. It's fast, it's fairly quiet, it's never had a paper jam, and its print cartridge, while expensive ($55), lasts about 5,000 pages. I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

If all you need from your printer is crisp text copy and the occasional envelope, this is a great choice, although this model is probably no longer sold new.

Maryn, who doesn't need color, scanning, fax, copying, etc.

JanDarby

Registered
Reaction score
Hewlett-Packard. Laser. Those are the keys.

My first HP lasted something like 12 years. It cost more than some other printers back when I got it but ... TWELVE YEARS! Must have averaged out to about $20 a year for the printer itself, plus one cartridge a year.

Replaced it a couple months ago with the HP 2015. I debated getting the base model for a couple hundred bucks or this one for four hundred bucks (although I saw it at Staples for $250 recently on sale), and I went with the more expensive one because it has a HUGE paper tray (half a packet of paper) and a second paper tray for when I went to send a different type of paper through, and I figured the money was worth it to have the model I really wanted, rather than one that was only okay, especially if there's a chance I'll have it for ten or more years!

The cartridge isn't cheap -- I haven't had to buy one yet; I checked when I bought the printer itself -- but, like Maryn's printer, it does 5,000 pages.

So, if you're going to have it over the long term, and want to save money on ink (b/c the inkjets go through cartridges like crazy), it's really worth getting an HP Laser of some sort.

JD

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
Hewlett-Packard. Laser. Those are the keys.

My first HP lasted something like 12 years. It cost more than some other printers back when I got it but ... TWELVE YEARS! Must have averaged out to about $20 a year for the printer itself, plus one cartridge a year.

Replaced it a couple months ago with the HP 2015. I debated getting the base model for a couple hundred bucks or this one for four hundred bucks (although I saw it at Staples for $250 recently on sale), and I went with the more expensive one because it has a HUGE paper tray (half a packet of paper) and a second paper tray for when I went to send a different type of paper through, and I figured the money was worth it to have the model I really wanted, rather than one that was only okay, especially if there's a chance I'll have it for ten or more years!

The cartridge isn't cheap -- I haven't had to buy one yet; I checked when I bought the printer itself -- but, like Maryn's printer, it does 5,000 pages.

So, if you're going to have it over the long term, and want to save money on ink (b/c the inkjets go through cartridges like crazy), it's really worth getting an HP Laser of some sort.

JD

Do laser printers print in color?

RLSMiller

Registered
Reaction score
Do laser printers print in color?

You can get ones that print in colour, but they're more expensive. The two main types are monochrome (black and white) and colour laser. There are also all-in-one lasers, which have fax, scanning, and all that sorta stuff.

Personally I went for a HP Laserjet 4100dtn. It's a big printer, probably more suited for a small office than a home, but I wanted something relatively high-spec and dependable. Luckily, I managed to get it refurbished from ebay at a fraction of the normal price: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hewlett-Packa...goryZ178QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

With that, I can print off a 350 page manuscript in about 15 minutes (25 pages per minute). It handles pretty much everything I throw at it, with no annoying curling or jams. And if I need colour, I just use my old Lexmark inkjet. If you're willing to shop online and spend a bit of time searching, you can find some amazing printers at very decent prices. If you just want something that works for as little money as possible, there are a few ~$60 printers that can do the job. Brand-wise, I recommend HP Laserjets or Brother printers.

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Lexmark (which is an utter piece of cow crap) bit the dust, so later this morning, I'm going to shop for a new printer. What kind of printer do you have, and do you like it? How expensive is the ink? Is it a scanner as well? Can you honestly say you would buy it again?

Any printer HP makes, I would look at and buy. I've got three, actually, at the moment.

The reason I will stick with an HP every time is simple: When we had the housefire back in '96, there were 3 computer systems in the house, each with a printer. The Canon printer would NOT work afterward. The IBM/Lexmark printer worked for about a month then died. The HP still worked for another 7 years. Hard to argue with experience like that.

One is an HP LaserJet 5L I bought used from a former employer (laser printer for $30--how do you turn it down?). It's an old work horse (it was 4 years old or so when I got it) and, even used, it has yet to fail and I adore it utterly. I've had it for five years and have printed out many, many various submission copies (including full ms) on it.

Whatever printer you decide to get, I've found the MOST important thing to do is to find out what kind of cartridges it requires, how many of them, how long they generally last and how available are they? Another place HP stands out--they use a standard set of cartridges which are generally not THAT expensive and there's tons of people who make generic versions. The cost of the printer is a one-time deal. The cost of cartridges will bite you constantly.

Good luck.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
The cost of the printer is a one-time deal. The cost of cartridges will bite you constantly.

Or just buy the ink. They say you can refill 2-10 times, but I've found that to be a great underestimate (at least for my HP). If you don't allow it to run dry, and if you wipe off the printer head with a damp napkin every time you refill, one cartridge can last for a year, and pay for the printer several times over.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or just buy the ink.

LOL! Well, that does depend on the individual. I'm challenged enough that I killed a printer because I couldn't refill the cartridges properly and the ink leaked all over the place. I just don't take the chance anymore. ;-)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
LOL! Well, that does depend on the individual. I'm challenged enough that I killed a printer because I couldn't refill the cartridges properly and the ink leaked all over the place. I just don't take the chance anymore. ;-)

I have to admit, when I have that ink-filled hypodermic in hand, I sometimes have the mad idea of injecting it into my vein.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I have an HP all in one, but I'm seriously considering picking up a laser. You can get a cheap one for just under $100. Since most of my printing is black and white text, I think it may be a smart decision.

I do need the all in one for other stuff, too, so I will need both printers.

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com
Looks like HP is winning by a length. My Lexmark was an all in one and I miss having the scanning capability. I never did make it out shopping, but maybe later today. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

threedogpeople

This is my BEST side!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
threedogpeople.blogspot.com
I have a Brother laser and have had very good luck with it. The cartridges are about $65 up here but I get between 5,000 & 6,500 pages from them. It's also a scanner (too slow), copier (great) and fax (great).

I have two color ink jets. A Cannon Pixma (fantastic for printing photos but buy the top of the line or it will be too slow) and a Brother.

The Brother is also a fax (haven't used it because we use the laser), flat-bed scanner (use it all the time, works great), color & b/w copier (works great). The high capacity black cartridges are about $35 for two at Cost-co. Staples will price match and add an additional 10% off of the difference so if their price is $50, they match the $35 and take off another $1.50 (10% of the $15 difference). The color cartridges come in a multipack (about $60 or $15 each again at Cost-co).

Each of the color printers was about $120 (and well worth the money). I have both of them hooked up to my computer so if I'm printing photos (which can be slow because they are high resolution), I can use them both at the same time.

I agree with you on the Lexmark, we had a Lexmark laser and it died within 2 years. The Brother we're using is almost 5 years old and we've never had to replace the drum (which at our house means a new printer since they cost $200-300).

Judy

southernwriter

Born Under a Bad Star
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lesiavalentine.com

Took a peek at that, and it looks like a good deal. My next question (for everyone) is whether or not they've had to use customer support, and if it was in fact, supportive? Here's an exchange between Lexmark and myself (I admit to getting a bit testy because one of my greatest pet peeves is customer service that doesn't actually provide a service):

Someone will be with you shortly...

[Me] All-in-one suddenly stopped working. Power button flashes. Computer thinks there is no printer. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but now I can't even reinstall. I've been researching this problem and it seems LOTS of people have it and complain that it never gets resolved. I'd love for you to prove them wrong.

[Ashley] Welcome to Lexmark Chat Support.

[Me] Hi Ashley

[Ashley] I will help you with this issue.

[Me] I hope so!

[Ashley] Hello.

[Ashley] Please confirm me the printer model.

[Me] Located where? On the back? It's in Chinese. I don't read Chinese.

[Ashley] Please check it once again.

[Me] ****-***?

[Ashley] Your model is X1185,right?

[Me] I think so, according to the picture on your website, but I don't find that on the printer itself.

[Ashley] It must be written on the printer.

[Me] Tell me where, and I'll look for it.

[Ashley] It must be on the top of the printer.

[Me] Must be? It's NOT. It says Lexmark on the left corner and PrintTrio on the right corner where all the buttons are.

[Ashley] Okay.
[Ashley] Please look on the front of the printer for the name "Lexmark" and then either a full number, or a letter/number combination (usually starting with "X," "Z" or "P").

[Me] None of those. It ONLY says Lexmark. Period. On the right, it says Print Trio, Period. The buttons are Paper Feed, Scan, Color Copy, Black Copy. If it said anything else, I WOULD TELL YOU. I promise. I'm not trying to make this more difficult.

[Ashley] Bur [sic] this information is important for us to troubleshoot the issue further.

[Me] Then maybe they should put it where the customer can find it, ya think?
(pause)

[Me] My disk says Lexmark X1100 Series, All-in-one Installation Software

[Ashley] Okay.

[Ashley] Please let me know whether you have inserted the cartridges inside the printer.

[Me] Yes, it has cartridges.

[Ashley] Please remove the cartridges and check it out whether the power light is blinking?

[Me] I can't remove them. The thing they move on is way over on the right inside, so I can't reach them, and since it won't print, they aren't moving to the center.

[Ashley] Please try to pull the cartridge carrier to the center.

[Me] And if it breaks???

[Ashley] Please do it very slowly.

[Me] And if it breaks????????

[Ashley] Okay.

[Ashley] Please give 1 minute.

[Me] I've got it centered now. What next?

[Ashley] Please try to remove the cartridges.

[Me] Done. Light is still blinking.

[Ashley] Okay.

[Ashley] If lights are blinking then printer encoder strip is most likely the problem. Unplug the power from the printer. Open the front cover and move the cartridge carrier to the center. You should see a white ribbon cable, a thin plastic strip and a black belt with teeth.

[Me] Yes.

[Ashley] If you cannot repair the strip, please let us know so that we can assist you further. Please Note: Fixing the encoder strip is a delicate procedure. During the troubleshooting, if the strip breaks, you will not be able to use the printer. We will replace the printer, only if it is under warranty.

[Me] What's wrong with the strip? What am I supposed to do with it?

[Ashley] The thin plastic strip is the encoder strip. It rides in a sensor on the back of the cartridge carrier that you will not be able to see. Reach in with the first finger of either hand and carefully strum the strip as if playing a guitar.

[Me] Okay ... and that did what?

[Ashley] The strip will need to be lowered slightly and brought towards you slightly. Please be careful not to break the strip or your printer will not function. Once you believe the strip is set correctly, plug the power back and let us know if the lights are still blinking.

[Me] I'm going to avoid the sarcasm I feel at this moment. Hang on ...

[Ashley] Please take your own time.

[Me] How am I supposed to know when it's set correctly?

[Ashley] Once you believe the strip is set correctly, plug the power back and let us know if the lights are still blinking.

[Me] HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW WHEN IT'S SET CORRECTLY?

[Ashley] The thin plastic strip is the encoder strip. It rides in a sensor on the back of the cartridge carrier that you will not be able to see. Reach in with the first finger of either hand and carefully strum the strip as if playing a guitar. The strip will need to be lowered slightly and brought towards you slightly. Please be careful not to break the strip or your printer will not function. Once you believe the strip is set correctly, plug the power back and let us know if the lights are still blinking.
[Ashley] Please follow the above two steps.

[Me] The light is still blinking.

[Ashley] Please check it again.

[Me] The light, or the sensor strip?

[Ashley] I mean the power light.

[Me] It's definitely blinking. I can see it quite clearly.

[Ashley] Okay.

[Ashley] Please provide us the printer serial number. The serial number is an 11 digit number on the back of the printer, usually near the letters S/N and most likely near the UPC code, if present.

[Me] ***********

[Ashley] Thank you for the information. Please let me know when did you purchase the printer?

[Me] I don't remember.

[Ashley] Please give me 2 minutes while I check my resources. Thank you.
[Ashley] Thank you for waiting.
[Ashley]Please accept my apologies for the problems you are experiencing.
[Ashley] Right now we are not able to track warranty of your printer. Please fax the proof of purchase of this printer to the following number:
[Ashley] 859 825 6676.
[Ashley]Once again please accept my apologies for the problems you are experiencing.
[Ashley] If it is under warranty, then your printer will be replaced.
[Ashley] I am trying my best to resolve the issue.
[Ashley] But we need proof of purchase to replace the printer.
[Ashley] Is there anything else I could assist you with?

[Me] So basically, you're telling me you know something is defective in this printer. I want to know ... is the problem that band of plastic you had me strum on?

[Ashley] Yes. It seems the encoder strip is not working fine.

[Me] You never did tell me how I could know whether or not I moved the encoder strip to the right place. What if I didn't? What if I had moved it a hair more, and suddenly this thing is going to work? Let's try again. THIS TIME, tell me how I can know I've wiggled the encoder strip enough.

[Ashley] If you want to repeat the steps,it 's given above. Please repeat the steps.

[Me] Lexmark KNOWS this is a defective part in all these printers, and they should replace them for free. Give me more information for repeating the steps. EXACTLY how far do I need to move the strip up and forward? Will I feel when it's in the right place, the way I can tell when a snap is snapped or a zipper zipped? Or is there something wrong with it because I can move it AT ALL? Give me some specifics.

[Ashley] Okay.
[Ashley] Please give me a minute.
[Ashley] Thank you for waiting.
[Ashley] Please check to ensure there is nothing obstructing the paper feed mechanism down inside the printer where it is not easily seen. If there is nothing obvious, unplug the printer and remove the paper. Open the front cover and look above the steel rod. You should see a conveyor belt with rubber teeth on it, like a fan belt. Take the bottom part of that belt and move it gently to the left. The cartridges should come out with it. Make sure the cartridges can move fully from one side of the printer to the other. Check also the output rollers on the bottom of the printer for any blockage.
[Ashley] If it is jamming under the carrier assembly, you may be able to fix it using the manual feed slot. Turn the printer off. Next take a #10 envelope and feed it through the left side of the paper feed slot (The manual paper feed slot is preferred, but the automatic feed will do if there is no manual paper feed for this printer) until it comes completely through the printer to the back of the exit rollers. Move it up and down and slowly move it over to the right side. If something is stuck under the black guide plate this may work it loose or you may have to feed the envelope through the front rollers and push your way backward (please be careful here).
[Ashley] Please follow the above steps.

:rant:

[Ashley] Are you there?

[Me] Yes. I'm following the instructions, which frankly, I think is a waste of time. The problem is not that anything is stuck in the printer. The problem is that my computer has stopped recognizing that there IS a printer.

Ashley] I understood your problem. The printer is defective. But without proof of purchase we can not replace it. If you wish we can provide you 20% discount printer. For that please give your first name:
[Ashley] Last Name:
[Ashley] Phone Number:
[Ashley] Email Id:

[Me] I would want another piece of crap WHY???

[Me] Is there somewhere I can take this to have it repaired?

[Ashley] If you would rather speak to one of our technicians, you may call us at 1-800-332-4120. Our hours of operation are given below:
Monday to Friday: 8 AM to 11 PM EST.
Saturday: 12 PM to 6 PM EST.
[Ashley] Are you there? If I do not receive a reply I may need to end this chat session.

[Me] Before I go, I want you (and your supervisors) to know that I am going to post this conversation ALL OVER the Internet. Everywhere I see a place where a customer is looking for help on how to fix it, and everywhere I see a place where a customer is complaining, I'm going to post this. I have your words: "The printer is defective." Maybe I can save someone else from buying this worthless piece of plastic before it's too late.
[Me]Goodbye, Ashley

(Pop-up Window) You've been disconnected! Please reload this page to reconnect.

I did, in fact, call a technician. "Roger" wasted my time and phone minutes by having me move the cartridge carrier back and forth, unplug the power cord a few times, verify the serial number four freaking times, and strum that plastic ribbon again. In the end, he reiterated what Ashley said: "It's defective."

Stepping off my soapbox now. :Soapbox:

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score

I bought an HP DeskJet 5940 last year. The local store had stopped selling it, so I got half-price on a floor model. It's color and black & white, and it's not a scanner, but it is definitely a good printer. The cartridges come in standard-capacity and high-capacity, and depending on the cartridge capacity you might be spending upwards of $30 or $40 on a cartridge.

But the print quality is outstanding, and the software that goes with the machine is very easy to use.

I'm not sure if HP discontinued this exact model or not; but I do know that HP printers are the best I've ever used. The worst I've ever used are Epson, but that's another story.

Would I buy this kind of printer again? Absolutely! I love the way HP printers perform, load, and I love the fact they rarely foul up a printout.

I hope this helps, and good luck. I hope you find the printer you're looking for.

:)

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Took a peek at that, and it looks like a good deal. My next question (for everyone) is whether or not they've had to use customer support, and if it was in fact, supportive? Here's an exchange between Lexmark and myself (I admit to getting a bit testy because one of my greatest pet peeves is customer service that doesn't actually provide a service):

In what little experience I've had with HP Customer Support, they've been extremely helpful. But I've used the online support exclusively through their main website, so I couldn't say what their phone support people are like.

I will say the printer has been so extremely reliable, that I've not had to use their support site with the printer I presently own. My experience with HP Customer Support is based on my having owned an HP/Compaq computer in the past.

I hope this helps. Good luck to you!

:)